• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and to target shooting.

None the less, I've been trying to find out for sure if it is legal to build a proper backstop and let alone shoot in my back yard. I know for sure my neighbors shoot their arms once in a while, and no one seems to mind. But I want to be sure. I live on top of the catoctin mt range in the woods, up and off of 15N, towards thurmont city but not in it. Atleast 50-100 yards between niehbors in all directions. I called the police department, and they just told me to ask DNR...who never answers. Anyways, if anyone is in the area or knows for sure that would be great. If anyone knows how I should go about getting this information that would be helpfull aswell.

Thanks

Chris.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I only think it is legal if you invite others from the forum to shoot at it. :)

Seriously though...
    You have several things to consider.
    The distance to the closest occupied dwelling being a big one
    The noise may also be a method for shutting you down.
    Construction of a back stop and side berms are recommended.

I don't think I answered any question but good luck!

Last edited:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    You generally cannot shoot within 150 yds of your neighbor's home or in the direction of their house.

Think liability. I have a private space for shooting and my backstop is a natural hill about 25 ft. high. I'm in a valley down there, so it's a good place. Even so I am doing a lot of work to improve things, like build a second "range" for rifle. That will require extra backstop work (a different hill). The NRA has a good guide on these things. If you search around the forum you'll see some links to it - I don't have it offhand.

A big thing to remember is that trees are not a backstop. Design as if they were clear-cut out of the way and assume a 25 degrees splatter pattern in all directions perpendicular to the impact zone (up, down, left, right), especially if using steel. That may call for side berms at the target zone (I am increasing my natural side berms with additional material).

Noise can be an issue. I tend to shoot during work hours, leaving the weekends to neighbors and their families. The crack of a .223 travels a long way, so I also frequently shoot rifles suppressed.

It's one thing to be within the law. It's another to be a good neighbor. I cannot please everyone (some might not want us shooting no matter what), but at least we can try.

Good luck.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Chris
    As long as you are not in Thurmont City limits (which has an ordinance against discharging firearms) you should be OK, legally speaking. There is no Frederick County provision. The 150 yards prohibition only applies to hunting and not target shooting (NR 10-410(g)).
    Whether its physically safe for you to do so is of course up to you.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Thanks for the responses everyone. This will only be for safe target shooting. With the neighbors shooting them selves once in a while I don't believe they will have a problem. I geuss my next step will be looking for Back stop materials. The direction I am shooting in, is into a natural hill/mt side here in the woods...but I would like something more defined, and safe and I love DIY weekend projects.

Thanks again,

Chris.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for the responses everyone. This will only be for safe target shooting. With the neighbors shooting them selves once in a while I don't believe they will have a problem. I geuss my next step will be looking for Back stop materials. The direction I am shooting in, is into a natural hill/mt side here in the woods...but I would like something more defined, and safe and I love DIY weekend projects.

Thanks again,

Chris.

I might be more worried about the neighbors out there shooting. If they have a proclivity to shoot themselves on occasion, they just might shoot you too for the heck of it.
    :D

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    You might have a noise ordinance issue. I would ask your neighbors and even invite them for a BBQ shoot.

Sounds like we might be really close neighbors, at the very least the same mountain. I shoot pretty regularly out back of my house, rifle, pistol, MG's and haven't had a problem been doing it 13 years now. With hunting season fast approaching you'll really start hearing it as most folk will be sighting in their toys. The local DNR office is within a mile, but as CharlieFoxtrot say's the DNR thing is hunting not target shooting. Just follow the sound of the FA mag dumps you'll find me.:lol2:

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    Just an FYI but Camp David is right there so I might be careful shooting around there.

Carryaglock,

Have you ever been watched or disturbed by Secret Service?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Chris
    As long as you are not in Thurmont City limits (which has an ordinance against discharging firearms) you should be OK, legally speaking. There is no Frederick County provision. The 150 yards prohibition only applies to hunting and not target shooting (NR 10-410(g)).
    Whether its physically safe for you to do so is of course up to you.
    Check on your noise laws however, as in Haford County, any noise is supposed to be below something like 90 dB as it crosses your property line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom