• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    everyone keeps talking about 12 ga for HD.

Do you guys have loaded 12 gauges laying around ur house at the ready?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I don't use a shotgun for HD, I prefer my M4gery. That said, the shotgun is pretty popular since it's $300 for a decent pump shotgun and no one really walks away from a chest full of buckshot.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    i'd love to keep a loaded shotgun at the ready. not sure i know how to do so safely..

visitors, kids... how do u do that??

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008

Yes. As far as hiding...the way my house is setup, there are only 3 "rooms" or places we would ever be. Bedroom, dining/kitchen/living room (all connected) and basement. All have readily accessible defensive products.

Gladius

Plinker
    May 21, 2012
    Silver Spring
    IMO, you need a 22LR (my 10/22) a shotgun (my 12ga Remy 870) a high powered rifle (Mosin) a handgun (coming soon 1911 and SR22) and finally a AR of your choice.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I like to keep things simple. My three basics are:

1. Guns
    2. Ammo for 1.
    3. More of 1 & 2

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

This works because I don't have kids. Jenni and I are the only ones home. When kids visit, things get more secured. Handgun stays on my hip while I'm home. Wherever I am, I can respond to a sudden threat...plus, I KNOW where the gun is and who is in control of it.

The shotgun's mag tube is loaded, chamber is empty, gun is in its case. If I need it, I can open the case and pump it....but that's not the long-gun I'd use for home defense.

My AR is the primary home defense gun, should I have time to get to it. It's in its easily accessable and secure location, with 28 rnds in the mag and one in the chamber...safety on. I've loaded it with 53 gr hornady superperformance. It's a very fast load and very accurate...but more importantly, it limits overpenetration into the neighbors places since the polymer tip and overall bullet design will cause rapid fragmentation through a wall. It won't penetrate as deeply as a good defensive loading, like a pdx1 or tap, but is still a rifle cartridge capable of putting a decent hurt on someone.....and i've got 29 of emm.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    My AR is the primary home defense gun, should I have time to get to it. It's in its easily accessable and secure location, with 28 rnds in the mag and one in the chamber...safety on. I've loaded it with 53 gr hornady superperformance. It's a very fast load and very accurate...but more importantly, it limits overpenetration into the neighbors places since the polymer tip and overall bullet design will cause rapid fragmentation through a wall. It won't penetrate as deeply as a good defensive loading, like a pdx1 or tap, but is still a rifle cartridge capable of putting a decent hurt on someone.....and i've got 29 of emm.

Nice :)

Can you explain this or give suggestions how this should/could be done?

Thanks

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I think the three basics are
    1.12ga w/slug&bird barrel
    2.30-06
    3.22lr

I belive I need more but i was asked a hypothetical question to pick 3 i chose my three for versatility ammo cost and availability i would lile your input and this is not a shtf apocalypse question just a general basic needs

Ok, not a SHTF question, I'll say I can't do it with just three, I need four:

1- 22LR an absolute must. Rifle or pistol. Ammo is so plentiful, great for target practice, plinking, competition, very collectible, cheap and light weight; and hey 22LR can be a reasonable defensive caliber as well (not my first choice) so consider it a backup to your backup defensive gun.

2- 12ga also required. You can hunt anything in North America with it and it's probably the ultimate home defense firearm. You can shoot light loads with very little recoil, shoot trap/skeet, load up some slugs and deer hunt; extremely versatile.

3- an AR (5.56), ok I'd even accept an AK (7.62x39). You need something that is a legitimate medium range home defense firearm, that has a very common round that can be found just about anywhere, so I give the edge to 5.56 (.223). The basic AR design has been in America's arsenal since the Vietnam war, just about everyone knows how they work and parts are easily found; this is a must own firearm.

4- 9mm pistol. Only because it is still the current US military issue and NATO standard so bullets are not only available everywhere in every variety, but they are about the cheapest round possible (second only to the .22LR). A good compact 9mm can be an everyday lawful concealed carry firearm, or a legitimate home defense gun. It also makes a great trainer, plinker, target shooter, it really is the second best choice after only the .22LR.

There you have it, now time for me to read this thread and see what others think. :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Nice :)

Can you explain this or give suggestions how this should/could be done?

Thanks

Gun safety is a very personal thing. It depends on the maturity, experience base, and accessability of the people likely to be in your place. It could be anything from keeping it loaded in an unzipped soft case under your bed, to in a hard case with a lock, to unloaded in a safe... seperate from ammo..with the bcg taken out

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    MP5/10
    MG42
    HK45

/thread

If you can't kill everything on the planet with a combination of the three of those, you are not doing it right.

But realistically here's what I've gotten by with for years:

Mavvberg 588 (basic 12-ga pump)
    Some type of AR-15 (5.56 SBR preferably, with a suppressor of course!)
    9mm handgun (CZ-75, Glock 17 or 19, Beretta 92FS, H&K something or other)

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie

I do. Also have a glock loaded under my pillow. Both are only for stalling until I get the AR and body armor(it has the mags loaded and stored on it) switched on.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland

Yes I do. I keep a loaded coach gun right at my bedside and a loaded (empty chamber) Mossy 500 Tactical a little further away in the same room. I have no kids and no one besides myself and my wife should be in the room.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX

My 870 is loaded, need to rack it to put one in the chamber, safety is on. I have an 18" barrel on it for home defense, loaded alternatively with 00 and slugs.

It also has an ammo sleeve holding 5 more shells on the butt if needed. Gun holds 6.

I really need to get a light on it for HD use though....

Everything else is in the safe, to prevent thievery if anything else. The 870 is all I believe I will need unless truly overrun with multiple assailants.

The wife knows where it is, and how to use it. The child does not know where it is, and cannot access it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom