• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Title should say "attachments".
    I have the worst luck buying guns that are threaded, but come with a device installed. I can never get the factory device off. Firtst I bought a S&W M&P 15-22 with a threaded barrel. The flash hider had to come off for the installation of my sparrow. I could not get the thing off. I asked my shop to help me and they said that it was the tightest that they have ever seen.
    Second was a JRC 45. I could not get the thread protector off. I had to used a 2' pipe wrench to get it to turn.
    I just bought an old Beretta Mod 71 with the required for import pinned muzzle device . Shop took one off and said that it came right off with a little heat (after the pin was removed). I got the pin out in less than 2 mins. I cannot remove the fake suppressor! I asked the shop to lend a hand, they could not get it off either. Im in the process of cutting it off. This is just another threaded nightmare. I cant catch a brake! :mad54:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Thought this thread was going to be a bit different but I'll hijack. I have a 45 Osprey that I want to shoot on my Colt 9mm AR. I knew I was going to have to buy another piston for $80 but wasn't planning on needing a fixed barrel adapter for $55 grrrr.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Swapped out the flash hider on my 15-22recently, no issues, but.... I did add a little heat to break down any threadlocker that may have been present.. ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Heat is your friend.

Heat gun, warm up the parts, and try it.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I have taken some real bad ones off.

If you are not worried about saving what you are taking off...

Cut a slot in line with the barrel where the threads are with a dremel cut off wheel. Try not to go deep enough to cut threads but close. Take a small chisel and put it in the slot. Hit it with a hammer and split it. That will give anything enough slack to come off. No heat needed. :) Basically the same way the get cut receiver stubs off barrels...

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I have taken some real bad ones off.

If you are not worried about saving what you are taking off...

Cut a slot in line with the barrel where the threads are with a dremel cut off wheel. Try not to go deep enough to cut threads but close. Take a small chisel and put it in the slot. Hit it with a hammer and split it. That will give anything enough slack to come off. No heat needed. :) Basically the same way the get cut receiver stubs off barrels...

this is the process that I'm using on pulling the fake suppressor off of the mod 71. I've cut 3 slots and used heat. its a no-go so far.:mad54:

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Success!!!!!!! I cut most of the fake suppressor off then went to work. I cut into it with a dremel tool, then split it off. The threads are fine, but that thing would not turn.
    IMG_21081_zps1e73380b.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    then I put the required thread adaptor and real suppressor. It works great! this is an excellent host! I love it.
    IMG_21091_zps3d3c3df8.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Sweeeeet! Nice job man. I had to do something similar with a faux suppressor on my MP5 clone. Except that was a three-lug mount and pinned/welded. I never realized until then, that these damn faux suppressors are not tubes at all, just giant chunks of rounded metal... bastards!

1. Where did you order your Mod 71? Southern Ohio Gun?

2. Where did you purchase the thread adapter? TROS?

3. How's the fit/finish of the pistol, and are you happy with it overall?

I'm think'n about getting one :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom