• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I'm taking a hard look at the Lee Six Pack Pro (kit). Anybody have one?

Do you like it?

What's involved in cartridge changes, money wise?

Any limitations or things you don't like about it?

Is there something better out there as an auto-loading press in this price range I should look at?

TIA

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Yes it's a great budget press and I really like it. Full disclosure, I loaded on a long line of lee presses from the lee turret, lee auto breech lock pro, the lee loadmaster, and the lee app's, so I am well versed and invested in lee products (i'm a Lee fanboy). It's the first lee progressive with a working priming system that is not finicky if you do your part. It uses breech lock bushings, so I recommend buying spares for die sets for easy caliber changes. The shellplates costs around 25 bucks each. I like the lee primer trays over primer tubes. It's easier to put primers in the tray, but you have to shake the tray periodically to get primers to feed in the trough, so it's a fair trade-off.

Limitations or things I don't like about it:

- It HATES debris/shavings/powder and will compromise the indexing and priming system (i.e. press will seize when you drop powder on an unprimed case). Make sure you have brushes and compressed air/duster can ready for routine cleaning and maintenance. I also find the press runs smoother if you lightly grease the contact surfaces (i.e. primer slider, case slider, etc.) with red n' tacky or any other similar non-running grease.

- There is a learning curve to set up the press. Alot of new users have issues with setting flare and seating properly. You will need to set the dies so that the load is distributed evenly along the shell plate, i.e. if doing full progressive loading: station 1: set fl sizing die FIRST, then flare/powder drop on station 2, then bullet seating, run 10 trials and make adjustments to your dies accordingly and wrench everything down. Another thing to note is to not let the primer trough get too low. it will bind if left with only 3-4 primers in the trough (see 308 vid). I actually 3d printed a trough extension to hold 50 primers for 9mm loading operations.

- As mentioned previously, there is a learning curve. You will be mainly monitoring the primer slider and case feed systems. If something does bind, you will need to take corrective action.

- The 4 tube case collator and case feeder is not the best. For upgrades, I 3d printed the grimnir case dropper and it is exceptional and a great addition to this press. Lee also makes an updated 5 tube case collator case feeder combo design that works much better and contains a side gate to prevent case tipping - If desired, I can hook you up with the 3d printed case dropper

I am sure there are better presses out there, but the lee six pack pro is the best value truly progressive press out in the market. For the price of 1 dillon 750xl, i can buy 2-3 lee six pack pro's or a ton of accessories...I have two lee six pack pro's: One I bought new as a dedicated 9mm reloading press, and the second i bought on closeout (recondition) for a sizable discount for a "everything else" press.

Loading 9mm:

Loading 308:

Trimming 308 using the mark 7 power xpress trimmer. A FL sizing die set on station 4 for neck expansion:

Last edited:

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Yes it's a great budget press and I really like it. It's the first lee progressive with a working priming system that is not finicky if you do your part. It uses breech lock bushings, so I recommend buying spares for die sets for easy caliber changes. The shellplates costs around 25 bucks each. I like the lee primer trays over primer tubes. It's easier to put primers in the tray, but you have to shake the tray periodically to get primers to feed in the trough, so it's a fair trade-off.

Limitations or things I don't like about it:

- It HATES debris/shavings/powder and will compromise the indexing and priming system (i.e. press will seize when you drop powder on an unprimed case). Make sure you have compressed air and a duster can ready for routine cleaning and maintenance. I also find the press runs smoother if you lightly grease the contact surfaces (i.e. primer slider, case slider, etc.) with red n' tacky or any other similar non-running grease.

- There is a learning curve to set up the press. Alot of new users have issues with setting flare and seating properly. You will need to set the dies so that the load is distributed evenly along the shell plate, i.e. if doing full progressive loading: station 1: set fl sizing die FIRST, then flare/powder drop on station 2, then bullet seating, run 10 trials and make adjustments to your dies accordingly and wrench everything down. Another thing to note is to not let the primer trough get too low. it will bind if left with only 3-4 primers in the trough (see 308 vid). I actually 3d printed a trough extension to hold 50 primers for 9mm loading operations.

- The 4 tube case collator and case feeder is not the best. For upgrades, I 3d printed the grimnir case dropper and it is exceptional and a great addition to this press. Lee also makes an updated 5 tube collator design that works much better and contains a side gate to prevent case tipping - If desired, I can hook you up with the 3d printed case dropper

I am sure there are better presses out there, but the lee six pack pro is the best value truly progressive press out in the market. For the price of 1 dillon 750xl, i can buy 2-3 lee six pack pro's or a ton of accessories...I have two lee six pack pro's: One I bought new as a dedicated 9mm reloading press, and the second i bought on closeout (recondition) for a sizable discount for a "everything else" press.

Loading 9mm:

Loading 308:

Thanks for taking the time for a thorough response.

Is it possible to run pre-primed brass through this press, or does the set-up make that impossible?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Thanks for taking the time for a thorough response.

Is it possible to run pre-primed brass through this press, or does the set-up make that impossible?
    It's perfectly fine to run pre-primed and processed brass. You can easily remove the primer slider if it's not in use. I personally like the priming system so much that I just run processed brass through it to save time. For 9mm, I run inspected cases (cull out the stepped and berdan cases) as it is fully capable of processing handgun cartridges from washed cases (no need to trim). I also get a feel if I am hitting a crimped primer pocket on the priming system as well by pushing the lever along the upstroke. I keep a lee app with a swager next to me, or just cull that case out.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    It's perfectly fine to run pre-primed and processed brass. You can easily remove the primer slider if it's not in use. I personally like the priming system so much that I just run processed brass through it to save time. For 9mm, I run inspected cases (cull out the stepped and berdan cases) as it is fully capable of processing handgun cartridges from washed cases (no need to trim). I also get a feel if I am hitting a crimped primer pocket on the priming system as well by pushing the lever along the upstroke. I keep a lee app with a swager next to me, or just cull that case out.
    Much obliged guzma!

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Much obliged guzma!
    You're welcome, I also got to mention that there is a soft indexing rod and a standard indexing rod. The soft indexing rod is great for 9mm or short cases susceptible to powder spillout. The standard indexing rod is good for longer cases, i.e. 308/30-06. As for ergonomics, inline makes a nice roller handle for the lee 6 pack pro. The ball handle is okay, but not really that comfortable to operate.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    You're welcome, I also got to mention that there is a soft indexing rod and a standard indexing rod. The soft indexing rod is great for 9mm or short cases susceptible to powder spillout. The standard indexing rod is good for longer cases, i.e. 308/30-06. As for ergonomics, inline makes a nice roller handle for the lee 6 pack pro. The ball handle is okay, but not really that comfortable to operate.
    Thanks for that.

Yeah, I have a roller handle on my Dillon. They make a world of difference.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Thanks for that.

Yeah, I have a roller handle on my Dillon. They make a world of difference.
    I guess one critical flaw (but servicable) is how the carrier is attached to the ram. I was trimming 308 cases with the mark 7 power trim xpress on the reconditioned lee 6pp, and the whole carrier separated from the ram (probably why this press was returned to lee to begin with). Granted, this is the most stress I have ran the press (some 308 brass felt like it was shot out of an MG). The carrier is connected along the ram via a collet style fastener. I've seen this happen to some users of the lee 6pp and is a known issue (collet wasn't tightened down all the way).

I fixed it by reseating the carrier back on the ram and tightening the living hell of the collet using an allen socket, breaker bar, and a pipe (tightened it until the grub screw was rebounding). Hindsight, I probably should have degreased the collet and fastening surfaces of the carrier, but it hasn't come loose since I tightened it.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I also have the 6-pack pro and really like it. I never really used any other presses though so take that for what it is. I briefly messed with the Lee 4000. The primer mechanism on this as stated above is awesome. I have lost maybe 3-4 primers. I got the stick on LED fitted light for it which helps a LOT. The case drop is ok it misfeeds once in awhile but nothing a little tweaking wouldn't fix.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I also have the 6-pack pro and really like it. I never really used any other presses though so take that for what it is. I briefly messed with the Lee 4000. The primer mechanism on this as stated above is awesome. I have lost maybe 3-4 primers. I got the stick on LED fitted light for it which helps a LOT. The case drop is ok it misfeeds once in awhile but nothing a little tweaking wouldn't fix.
    Thanks gungate. I am definitely going with the Lee six pack pro. I'm sure I will have further questions once set-up commences and after, tweaks and upgrades.

Thanks again to @guzma393 as well. I may be pestering you again as well. :)

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Thanks gungate. I am definitely going with the Lee six pack pro. I'm sure I will have further questions once set-up commences and after, tweaks and upgrades.

Thanks again to @guzma393 as well. I may be pestering you again as well. :)
    No problemo, feel free to reach out, I been working on getting automated bullet and case collators on the lee six pack pro, and maybe a low primer sensor alarm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom