MDS Supporter
    Have you considered these?

http://www.tech-sights.com/sks.htm

TS200.gif

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Took one of my SKS's and mounted a baker scope mount....... yes I drilled ....don't hate me!! but i do like that mount... may look into getting one for the yugo

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    just get a dust cover with an integrated rail from UTG.

They come a little bit oversized so that you can file them to an exact and extremely snug fit so as to keep zero from being lost shot to shot.

I had one that a friend had filed too much off of that kept losing zero shot to shot. Cleaned up the filed area with acetone after sanding to coarse 150 grit, applied ACRA-release agent from brownells to the areas that would interface with the filed areas, then slathered on some JB weld kwik weld...

and promptly had the kwik weld break right off after two shots.

repeated the experiment with JB weld original formula, let it cure for 3 days prior to use and whoop-de-do the mount works great, has many hundred rounds through it with everything working great. JB weld is amazing!

Only problem is when taking the dust cover off for field strip and cleaning, when the dust cover is put back in place the zero of the optic wanders very slightly up or down. Windage remains dead on, but this has been a recurring theme.

Oh also, if you try this yourself, make sure not to put the locking pin in while the weld is setting up and curing. It's much better to leave it out so that when it comes time to lock it in, there is some resistance and you maybe even need to coax it slightly with a rubber mallet- this will assure a tight tight fit that will keep zero from wandering.

Much easier just to not file too much off.

C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    I have the same mount with a budget scope I may let go for cheap. I was thinkiing of using the one sold in the dillon catalogs but they are $70. As much as I would like to throw scopes on my mosin and sks, I'm getting to be more C&Rish and think just leave them iron. I have other rifles with scopes.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have one of the tech sights. Looks very nice but I can't install it on the soviet rifle I want to put it on. Be aware you need to be able to to get the old rear pin out (see the screws in the above pic going through the old receiver hole.) It is retained from falling out of the receiver by a small cross pin. It is *VERY* stuck in mine (and I have no shortage of tools to go medieval on it.) I ended up ordering a complete replacement rear pin as I suspect I will have to carefully cut the orig out. Being a $$$ (numbers matching) soviet sks I will compare the new to old VERY carefully before I do something I regret. Its been sitting in the toolbox for about a year waiting for me to "get back to it".

Moral of the story is you may want to try removing your rear pin before you order the tech sight.

Rockchucker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 1, 2013
    Millersville
    I have one of the tech sights. Looks very nice but I can't install it on the soviet rifle I want to put it on. Be aware you need to be able to to get the old rear pin out (see the screws in the above pic going through the old receiver hole.) It is retained from falling out of the receiver by a small cross pin. It is *VERY* stuck in mine (and I have no shortage of tools to go medieval on it.) I ended up ordering a complete replacement rear pin as I suspect I will have to carefully cut the orig out. Being a $$$ (numbers matching) soviet sks I will compare the new to old VERY carefully before I do something I regret. Its been sitting in the toolbox for about a year waiting for me to "get back to it".

Moral of the story is you may want to try removing your rear pin before you order the tech sight.

You carefully grind off the cross pin with a Dremel.
    Then once out you will be able to drive out the pin or drill it out (worst-case-scenario). A new cross pin can be added later to restore the rifle without damaging it's collector value.

The tech sights are a very good choice.

The scope mount in the OP has a few draw backs. It's high and will require a cheek riser (as pictured) or you will have a chin weld on the stock.
    You will have to use a short red dot sight or add a brass case deflector with a scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom