• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrwizard

Jul 21, 2007
    Odenton, MD
    I'm looking to spend a little tax money and get another gun for an upcoming class and have been looking at the Springfield XDM in 9mm (for cheaper ammo).

Anyone have one and/or care to give their thoughts on it?

I know about the excellent SA customer service and I like the fact that you get the kit (2 mags, loader, holster and case).

I don't want a Glock. Had a Glock and never knew why I hated it until I got my 1911.

Scott

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    clearly the walther p99 is the best firearm ever made. I suppose an xdm9 is a very good alternative. Clandestine might be by in a bit to mention some of the reliability concerns he's encountered as a professional regarding wear on the extractor, springs, and striker. If i were you i'd test fire an M&P9, p99, xd/xdm-9, and a fnp-9 to see which gun you shoot the best with and which feels the most comfortable for you. just rent them at continental or on target(right next to you). first-hand experience with them is much better than advice by someone that doesn't know your past experiences with firearms or hand size/type.

the xdm-9 does pack a hell of a lot of cartridges in that mag. I love shooting jer's xdm-40. it's very accurate and has proven to be reliable(at least as long as you clean and lube it correctly). the ergonomics are nice, but the indents on the left side limit the holds you can comfortably use on the gun. the striker and loaded chamber indicators are some of the clearest on the market, but the trigger feels a bit long with too much overtravel for a "match trigger". it feels like clunking a lightswitch on and off when you press it and i personally don't like the trigger safety. it bugs me on glocks and xd's. the goodies it comes with are very nice to have and the longer sight radius(compared to the xd's) is a big plus. If it fits you and you can shoot it well i don't think you'd be dissapointed

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Learn to love the Glock. Clearly the problem was you and not the firearm. LOL Just kidding. The XDM feels awesome in the hand and shoots well. If I couldn't get a Glock either the XDM or FNP 9 would be my second choice.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Wrote this up some time ago comparing my XD(M) and M&P 9pro, both are great, and their subtle differences give you some options to consider.

There are some additions though after woning both for just about a year. I have probably put upwards of 3,000 rounds through each, and have yet to have a problem of any kind with either. I did replace the M&P's barrel with a stainless Storm Lake match barrel that I fit, polished and lapped, and it is a laser when I do my part, locks up a little tighter, but far more consistent with a wide range of loads. The original barrel was borderline defective, it was very roughly machined inside and out, much rougher than any other M&P including about 5 or 6 pro models I have seen, it was tearing plated bullets, and while accurate for about a dozen rounds quickly choked up with fouling, new barrel, problem solved. I have shot everything from very light 147gr lead loads running 800FPS to full power HP 124+p+ at 1250FPS, all function perfectly. Compared to several standard M&Ps I have fired, the pro does have a lot less muzzle flip, and is still the easiest pistol to shoot fast I have ever fired.

I also replaced the sights. I loved the factory green fiber/plain black setup, but shooting lightly loaded 124 and 147gr bullets required an adjustable sight, as the pistol shot about 6" low at 25 yards with this ammo. I went with taller Novak sights in the same fiber/plain configuration, and they perform well, and adjust for elevation easily. In order to optimize the pro as a defensive or "all around" pistol instead of primarily a "sunny day match pistol", swapping over to night sights or TFOsights would be the first thing I would do, as the short fiber insert in the Novaks only works with a decent ammount of ambient light, outdoors or in a well lit indoor range, or get an M&P 9L with standard 3 dot ornight sights and a trigger job.

The XD(M) has also been a wonderful pistol, boringly accurate and reliable. With about 3,000 rounds of 40S&W on the pistol since new, and the PDP trigger job I did, it has not had any problems whatsoever, the fitted parts have not worn out of fitment, and in keeping it cleaned and lubed, the gun does not show any signs of serious wear in the areas Clandestine has recently warned about, if anything they still look about the same as they did after 100 rounds. The only modifications were a solid guide rod and recoil spring set to work with the light loads I normally use (165gr at 900FPS), and the hot loads I occasionally shoot, and load for defensive use (180gr at 1050-1100fps), the PDP trigger job, and I tensioned the extractor. The standard 3 dot sights are sufficient for my uses, night sights may be in it's future, but the light/laser combo on the rail has worked well for night time practice, and sufficient for it's role as a bedside pistol to back up my shotgun. Having fired a few 9mm versions, they feel similarly to my XD(M)40 with the light loads, but have 3 more rounds on tap.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=23142

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    the xdm is a great gun, its already a good base and you can do a lot with it to make it anything you want.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Was talking to my leo buddy the other day and he said the M&P isnt worth it, he said the slide rattles side to side already and the gun isnt that old. I have a XD9 and even though im selling it cause i rarely shoot handguns i do love it, Im sure the XDM is a great gun as well. In fact i took my XD9 to the range for the first time in 8 months and while there i let 3 ppl shoot it and they all loved it and complimented on what a great feel it had. The XDM has a few more bells and whistles though. good luck with your pick.

vladimir_taltos

May 12, 2009
    Finksburg
    I've had a xd9 for a year and find it an exceptional gun. Very accurate, easy to keep on target. I've found it very similar to shooting a m&p 9, which is now on my shortlist.

tonyw

Feb 8, 2010
    AACo
    I've shot the xdm9 and xd45 both are very nice. The loader is included in the kit for a reason, getting 19rnd into that mag is fun... Maybe the spring will break in a little with more use? I like the feel of my sig 229 over the xd but the xd feels really nice. If I don't buy a sig 229 in 9mm the xdm9 is next on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom