• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I currently don't have a shotgun, but I'm considering getting one. First for home defense, but I'd like to be able to try my hand at skeet or hunting should the opportunity arise in the future.

I've noticed some of the advertisements for weapons advertised as being combo guns. They come with multiple barrels that you can swap out to go from a defensive length to hunting/skeet lengths. The appeal is that the combo weapons are generally cheaper than getting multiple guns and this way I'd already have a weapon I'm familiar with and that is broken in should I want to use it from something else with a different barrel.

I'm wondering if things actually work out well that way, or if there are too many compromises invovled or it's otherwise a problem.

If it's a good idea, could you suggest some semi-automatic models or warn me off of others? I'd prefir to have at least a seven shot capability for the defensive role as you can always put a plug in if you're doing something that requires lesser capacity right?

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I actually have a mossberg 500 and a remington 870 in the combo packages, and absolutely no complaints about either. Honestly, it is personal preference for the two brands, and as far as functionality and capability go, they are both great for what I use them for. HD, Skeet/Trap, and Hunting.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    If you are looking into a combo, try to decide what barrels you want as there are typically a few options/packages. The shorter barrel (slug barrel) may come smooth or rifled; it may have no sights, iron sights, or a cantilevered scope mount. The longer barrel is sometimes different lengths (I think 26" and/or 28" are the most common).

I think all combo guns these days come with removable chokes, but they may come with different ones.

Most of the hunting combos like the 500 or 870 will come with a plug to limit the total capacity from 5 to 3 shells. Depending on the gun, you can add a magazine extension.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I would also recommend the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.
    I know they are not semi-automatics as you requested but you will find them the most recommended multi use shotguns out there with decades of use to back them up.
    A good man with a pump action can be near as fast as a semi.
    I prefer them. I have the 870. Have fired friends 500's. Both fine machines.
    The only reason I got the 870 over the 500 is, it was the deal that showed up first.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    A 12 gauge semi-auto with a 26" barrel is a good all around choice, you will not find yourself lacking for skeet, trap, sporting clays or intruders.

I prefer a gas operated gun like the Beretta 390/391/A300 or the Remington 1100/1187. If I wanted a new gun at a low price I might investigate the Mossberg 930 line.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    If you plan on using any sort of optics, the benelli SBE II may be worth considering since the optics will be attached to the barrel. It works out well switching from a rifled slug barrel with scope to my duck barrel.

Feb 28, 2013
    Remember, you can do target shooting with a field grade gun. Most everybody does to save money.

But you can't hunt with a target gun.

DkKnight

Dec 9, 2010
    MD
    Here is a link to the semi combo I have been shopping for. They are out of stock at Bud's at the moment, but one will turn up sooner or later.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/49886

Nice choice on that - I just recently got my 930 Waterfowl (wish I could have found a combo), and before I rec'd it, I had already purchased the 18.5" barrel.
    Took forever to find the gun and even longer to get it from Bud's, as they advertise it as in stock but hadn't yet rec'd it from Mossberg - look at their turtle or hare shipping icon.
    Great shooting gun with either barrel and my 28" barrel came with 3 chokes.
    Paul

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    First, thanks everyone for your replies!

Based on some of the replies, is it that case that if there is a model line with different magazine capacities and barrel lengths that you can buy any of them and swap parts? I.e. the "combo" weapons are just a marketing thing where you get a second barrel at a reduced price as opposed to there being anything functionally different.

Remember, you can do target shooting with a field grade gun. Most everybody does to save money.

But you can't hunt with a target gun.

What do you mean by a target gun? One of the specialized 3-gun things or some accurized rifled and scoped model?

Feb 28, 2013
    Here is a link to the semi combo I have been shopping for. They are out of stock at Bud's at the moment, but one will turn up sooner or later.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/49886

Yeah. Good choice. Nice semi.

What do you mean by a target gun? One of the specialized 3-gun things or some accurized rifled and scoped model?

Well, I guess maybe you could, but I wouldn't want to. If you've ever been to a trap range, you may have seen some guy's blasters with ribs on them an inch or so tall. I wouldn't take something like that hunting.

ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    pshhh.....no need for two barrels, i have just as much fun shooting sporting clays with this as with a 28" barrel

20130115_153123.jpg

ROFL!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I'll add if the shorter combo barrel is also to serve home defense duty, then it will need to be a smooth bore. Full rifled barrels will deliver buckshot pellets everywhere but on target at all but the closest distances.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Buying a 2 or 3 bbl package is cheaper than buying a single complete gun plus accesory bbls.
    Package guns will have *field* dimention stocks. The differences between Field and Skeet or Sporting Clays are very subtle. Trap guns will usually stocked with higher comb , so as to pattern high for rising birds.

Lots of recreational Trap shooters use field guns.

And yes , lots of country boy who only have one good shotgun will hunt with their 870 or 1100 Trap Gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom