• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Got a email from Glockmeister. They have on sale Glock 37 (.45 gap) factory uppers. 150.00

Never shot a .45 GAP How does it comapre to .45 acp?? Currently i have a G20,31,36. really didnt want shell out 5-600$ if i could just a get a upper and switch.

I see Georgia arms sells canned heat of .45 gap for a good price.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A worthless gimmick. I love my Glock and I'm a big fan of thier pistols, but this was an answer to a question that nobody asked. I wouldn't touch anything in .45 GAP personally as I suspect that in a few years the ammo will be nearly impossible to get.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    A worthless gimmick. I love my Glock and I'm a big fan of thier pistols, but this was an answer to a question that nobody asked. I wouldn't touch anything in .45 GAP personally as I suspect that in a few years the ammo will be nearly impossible to get.

Agreed...

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Well, 4 state police/highway patrol agencies have adopted it, or did adopt it. That should keep the round "viable" until they drop it. Unless S&W is able to convince any of those agencies to switch, I doubt anyone will be giving up their guns.

I don't think I would buy a gun in that caliber myself, I have no issues with the .45ACP round or guns chambered for it.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    With all the trouble I've been going through trying to ammo in finding .45 ACP I wouldn't be to quick to run and buy a gun in .45 GAP.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I believe it to fall the way of the 10mm. It will only get harder to find ammo for. For that price, maybe it's worth it to have something different but I wouldn't go looking for one myself.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    .45 GAP was supposed to be Glocks answer to the .45 ACP...only a (i believe) a smaller cartridge so you can have a higher clip capacity and a slightly smaller frame. Ballistics wise i think GAP is very close to ACP. I stand corrected...GAP has a little more oomph to it.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The 45gap was somewhat of a solution looking for a problem. Simply it is a 45acp case shortened to allow the same overall length as 9mm, 357sig and 40S&W, and provide a 45 caliber load in the same frame. The G20/21/29/G30 are built on a larger frame with a longer and wider mag well, and a too big for many grip frame. The problem with 45GAP is that the mags are narrow, and the rounds are too wide to completely mesh when stacked, so capacity is lower than with the wider framed 21 and 30 models using 45ACP of the same diameter. As far as ballistics go, 45GAP has less room for powder than 45ACP, but runs at a higher pressure. Light weight 45cal bullets reach about the same velocity in both cartridges, sometimes a little faster in the GAP, but the GAP runs out of room quickly, and once heavy 200 and 230gr bullets are used the 45ACP can simply push them harder, when 45ACP+p loads are factored in(still well below the GAP's pressure), there is no comparison. Sometimes ammo data by manufacturers does not show this well, most all GAP loads are at about the max the cartridge is rated for, while ACP loads are pretty well neutered, and running below it's already modest pressure, a ful power 45ACP load will almost alwys push the same bullet faster than a full power GAP load, and 45ACP+P can run at least 100fps faster. The GAP was a round simply designed around a gun, and more specifically a frame size. Ammo is expensive and hard to find, although it would normally be easy to handload for if GLOCK's unsupported chambers didn't destroy the brass like they do. With the Short frame glocks now out, there is little if any reason for all but those with the absolute smallest hands to consider the 45GAP pistols.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A gun writer/trainer was campaigning for this round as alucard alluded to. It was simply to put 45 caliber power in shorter framed guns for shooters with smaller hands. The ballistics are good until you start looking at pushing 45 ACP to 45 Super pressures...not hard to do with fitted parts available. Then the case capacity of the 45 ACP takes over.

This one is dead horse with no saddle :tdown:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'd have to say I'd also avoid it unless you really want it just as a novelty or plan on reloading. Over the years I've seen the 45GAP go from "the new thing everybody will carry" to "the thing nobody carries ammo for." I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just very expensive and keeps getting harder to find.

Ultimate Member
    shit, if you want to spend money, get something cool. Get the 50 GI, why would you want another .45? even if they are the same.

cartridge_1_500.jpg

50-cal-glock.jpg

truly worthless, but may be good for something unseen.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    shit, if you want to spend money, get something cool. Get the 50 GI, why would you want another .45? even if they are the same.

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/graphics/images/cartridge_1_500.jpg[/IG]
    [IMG]http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/50-cal-glock.jpg[/IG]

[B]truly worthless, but may be good for something unseen[/B].[/QUOTE]

find some wadcutter/swc ammo and use it to put 1/2" holes in things. Think power nailer, but jut puts holes in things instead of putting nails into things.

Oh and speanking of pistols and power tools, arent cordless nail-guns handguns? They use an explosion to drive a projectile, can be operated one handed, have a high capacity magazine outside of the grip (assault pistol !) Sounds like a rampage waiting to happen :lol2:

Oh and on that note, I bet glock could throw down a bitchin power nailer, leave hilti in the dust.

orangecrush

Aug 9, 2009
    cecil co.
    A cordless nail gun still requires you to depress the tip that contacts the wood in order to fire. Which you can do with your other hand so I guess they would be more along the lines of maybe a SBR.:D

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    A cordless nail gun still requires you to depress the tip that contacts the wood in order to fire. Which you can do with your other hand so I guess they would be more along the lines of maybe a SBR.:D

Watch the series "The Wire"....they did some nasty stuff to people with modified nailguns lol.

Splitter

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    don't get one.

they're only in production because one or two agencies went with them.

Here is the $64,000 question, how long before the sales people at S&W get to those agencies? I have read on another forum that S&W has been giving M&P's, holsters and training away for free, in exchange for an agency's old handguns. What happens to the .45GAP after those departments drop those Glocks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom