• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Find a new dealer. It's as simple as writing on the HQL page that you have a PO and what training req you have (ccw, military, LEO, the old web#, etc...).

"On Oct. 1 via email,CPL. Jason Edwards did tell us when faxing paperwork on ARs to send a copy of the PO showing purchase date, use the new app., and just write NA on those sections.".

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Picked up my lower this afternoon they used then old form

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Picking up today means you did paperwork at least 7 days prior.
    I think the discussion here is dealing with people with a pre-Oct. 1 PO who are trying to have paperwork submitted to MSP post Oct. 1.
    Some FFLs just need to know where to look for clarification.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Find a new dealer. It's as simple as writing on the HQL page that you have a PO and what training req you have (ccw, military, LEO, the old web#, etc...).

I appreciate the advice but they have my rifle receivers.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    pop-gunner;2755656 Some FFLs just need to know where to look for clarification.[/QUOTE said:
    ^this. Dealer down the street from me is still claiming Sept 30 handgun buyers can pick up on Oct 7 without HQL and without being exempt. I feel bad for his customers. Editing the new form for PO applications is kind of a no-brainer, though.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    "On Oct. 1 via email,CPL. Jason Edwards did tell us when faxing paperwork on ARs to send a copy of the PO showing purchase date, use the new app., and just write NA on those sections.".

Thanks Pop Gunner!
    If I PM you my email address would you be willing to forward to me that email from Cal Edwards?
    Thanks again.
    Semper Fi

BollingerGun

Jan 11, 2011
    Dated 10/4/13, 2pm
    New 77R Forms Effective NOW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To address confusion regarding filling out paperwork & training requirements for ALL regulated firearms as of Oct. 1.

Just released from MSP. Effective October 01, 2013, all applications submitted to Licensing Division must use the new 77R forms. This includes firearms that had a purchase order for an Assault Weapon.

What this means to you: If you have not been into the shop to fill out paperwork on your purchases, pre Oct 1, or post Oct1, You will now need to complete the HQL training class prior to being able to start your paperwork to receive your firearm(s).

We are offering HQL here at BGS on Oct 19th, seating is limited so please call ahead and reserve your seating or contact Dukes Defense.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Exactly as I suspected:

Effective October 1, 2013, all applications submitted must be on the new 77Rs. All 77Rs submitted after September 30, 2013 for an assault weapon purchase must also have a copy of the purchase order verifying that the order was placed prior to October 1. Assault weapon purchases after October 1, 2013, that meet the purchase order requirements are exempt from the training, to include the Handgun Qualification License.

Last edited:

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I am so glad I got all my regulated long-gun and receiver purchases done prior to 30 Sep...What a freeking goat rope; "and to think such was not expected in MD":rolleyes::sad20:

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Dated 10/4/13, 2pm
    New 77R Forms Effective NOW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To address confusion regarding filling out paperwork & training requirements for ALL regulated firearms as of Oct. 1.

Just released from MSP. Effective October 01, 2013, all applications submitted to Licensing Division must use the new 77R forms. This includes firearms that had a purchase order for an Assault Weapon.

What this means to you: If you have not been into the shop to fill out paperwork on your purchases, pre Oct 1, or post Oct1, You will now need to complete the HQL training class prior to being able to start your paperwork to receive your firearm(s).

We are offering HQL here at BGS on Oct 19th, seating is limited so please call ahead and reserve your seating or contact Dukes Defense.

So, if we did paperwork before 10/01 with you and are just waiting for the 30 day mark we're good to just pick up?

bwceng11

MDS Supporter
    Nov 26, 2012
    Towson
    I purchased two receivers and had them shipped to a dealer, they were received before 10/1 (though the law is clear that the dealer didn't even need to have them yet, I only needed the PO or course).

Anyway, popped in today to fill out the paperwork and was told that they don't know how to process these things yet. The new forms require a HQL or an exemption (I have neither). They fear the old form will be rejected.

They had contacted MSP several times for guidance but as of yet have received no response.

I don't want to say what dealer because I don't blame them for this mess and I don't want to turn this into a bash-fest.

Anyone else experience this?

"Effective October 1, 2013, all applications submitted to the Licensing Division must be on the new revised 77R forms dated 10/1/2013. All 77Rs submitted after September 30, 2013 for an assault weapon (which are now banned by the new law) purchase must also have a copy of the purchase order verifying that the order was placed prior to October 1, 2013. Assault weapon purchases after October 1, 2013, that meet the purchase order requirements are exempt from the training, to include the Handgun Qualification License.

The MSP understands that some dealers may have remained open for purchases up to 1159 p.m. on September 30th and that Licensing Division’s fax machine may have been busy due to the number of simultaneous faxes that attempted to be sent by dealers. As a result of an overwhelming number of 77Rs faxed to the Licensing Division throughout the day and evening on September 30, 2013, the Maryland State Police will accept all 77Rs which are dated 9-30 (prior to the new law going into affect) that have been received by Licensing Division NO LATER THAN 1159 p.m. on October 1st.

All 77Rs mailed that are dated prior to October 1, 2013 (before the new law went into affect) must be postmarked prior to October 2, 2013. Any 77R dated prior to October 1, 2013 (before the new law) and faxed after 1159p.m. on October 1st will be returned to the dealer as invalid unless supported by documented evidence that the facsimile system failed or was busy during the accepted timeline."

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    So those who put a PO for a $175 stripped lower, but who didn't start paperwork before 10/1 will have to spend at least an additional $100 to pick said lower. There may be no lawsuit over this but what complete BS by the MSP.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    So those who put a PO for a $175 stripped lower, but who didn't start paperwork before 10/1 will have to spend at least an additional $100 to pick said lower. There may be no lawsuit over this but what complete BS by the MSP.

look at my post. there are no changes to the way POs work. There are no training reqs and the HQL is not needed for those long guns/others.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    We called MSP and asked about this same issue today. They said use the NEW forms and fill out only the boxes that apply. (E.G.- fill out the gun info like you used to and ignore the "circle yes or no boxes" for handguns.) N/A the HQL section.

Since there obviously isn't a check box for safety training, we just made a Xerox copy of the old safety card and faxed it in with the new app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom