This is what happens when you stand in line for an hour...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Was at Accurate Pawn and Tackle today picking up an XDM9 (12/27) and it felt like Christmas.

Anyway, I am standing in line and I noticed a 91/30 asked Gus about it, he had a couple in the corner, boxed up and decided to take her home. I would have liked to wait for my C&R to come back from BATFE, but every time I look online I see places are sold out, decided to pay what the tag said and be a proud first time owner of a Mosin Nagant (my second gun period, not counting the two CZ-82s in process). Maybe this feeling will go away but I love staring at it. :o

Now to clean it... this being the second gun I own I will need to scour the web looking for tips on takedown and cleaning the cosmoline off of her.

Thanks for the inspiration and indirect encouragement to take one of these home with me.

R1Xw2.jpg

jo0ZU.jpg

RzDCG.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    :thumbsup:Nice hex re-arsenal! Great starter for a collection. Is it early 1930s?

You'll be able to find a bunch of info on cleaning Mosins on the intragogglewebs. Just take it slow, read a lot, etc. The second one you break down for cleaning will be a piece of cake.

Gladius

Plinker
    May 21, 2012
    Silver Spring
    I just did as the guys @ Atlantic Guns told me. Wiped it clean w/ paper towels, took it apart, put the bolt/trigger/etc into an ammo box and empty a bottle of Ballistol into it. Put it in the trunk as you drive around for a week, clean the barrel w/ the rod it comes with.

Put it all together and go to the range.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    damn it! Gus was supposed to call when those came in! How many were left when you were there?

Also, about the cosmoline, just break her down and put all the parts you can in the oven at 140 degrees for about an hour and all the crap will ooze out.

As for the stock, you can use a hair-dryer or heat gun, but the best bet I've seen is to find some way to bed it in paper towels and heat it up, the cosmo will leach out into the towels through osmosis and the you won't have a sticky bolt any more.

Just an aside though, that cosmoline will keep your non-chrome lined bore from pitting or rusting, so if you clean it out of all the pores in the metal, bore included, make sure to condition with ballistol and clean after use.

When using corrosive ammo, make sure to wait maybe three full seconds after each shot before working the bolt, since there is no gas system in the nagant, this will give the corrosive salts from the primer a chance to cool enough to settle, so when you work the bolt no residue will deposit on the works of the gun, all the fouling will be in one place and one place only, the bore and chamber- and that's a breeze to clean.

The best cleaner and preservative I've found for mosins is ballistol. Spray down the bore, let soak for about fifteen minutes after shooting, then scrub and swab for a shining clean bore.

Just as a test, we detonated some primed cases of corrosive rounds we had dismantled on top of a mild steel sheet. We coated half of the sheet with ballistol ( a thin coat) and left the other alone, and left it out on the front porch for a week.

End result- NO corrosion of ANY kind on the ballistol side, and not just rust but marked pitting on the non treated side.

The stuff works, pick some up, your mosin will thank you.

You're really going to love that gun, though. I've seen a mosin shoot straight through a willow that was literally thicker than I was tall, trees are no kind of cover from a man with a mosin. Really, the rifle is astoundingly powerful, and can be fairly accurate as well. The most I've been able to coax out of mine was about 2 moa out of my most pristine example, but I'm not the best rifleman in the world, and granted some modern optics might help that.

Well, anyways, enjoy.

a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    :thumbsup:Nice hex re-arsenal! Great starter for a collection. Is it early 1930s?

You'll be able to find a bunch of info on cleaning Mosins on the intragogglewebs. Just take it slow, read a lot, etc. The second one you break down for cleaning will be a piece of cake.

I have no clue what a hex means...

I just tried to identify it via 7.62x54r.net and it led me to believe it is a 91/30 48 1/2", flat sights, Izhevsk markings, 1926...

a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    damn it! Gus was supposed to call when those came in! How many were left when you were there?

Also, about the cosmoline, just break her down and put all the parts you can in the oven at 140 degrees for about an hour and all the crap will ooze out.

As for the stock, you can use a hair-dryer or heat gun, but the best bet I've seen is to find some way to bed it in paper towels and heat it up, the cosmo will leach out into the towels through osmosis and the you won't have a sticky bolt any more.

Just an aside though, that cosmoline will keep your non-chrome lined bore from pitting or rusting, so if you clean it out of all the pores in the metal, bore included, make sure to condition with ballistol and clean after use.

When using corrosive ammo, make sure to wait maybe three full seconds after each shot before working the bolt, since there is no gas system in the nagant, this will give the corrosive salts from the primer a chance to cool enough to settle, so when you work the bolt no residue will deposit on the works of the gun, all the fouling will be in one place and one place only, the bore and chamber- and that's a breeze to clean.

The best cleaner and preservative I've found for mosins is ballistol. Spray down the bore, let soak for about fifteen minutes after shooting, then scrub and swab for a shining clean bore.

Just as a test, we detonated some primed cases of corrosive rounds we had dismantled on top of a mild steel sheet. We coated half of the sheet with ballistol ( a thin coat) and left the other alone, and left it out on the front porch for a week.

End result- NO corrosion of ANY kind on the ballistol side, and not just rust but marked pitting on the non treated side.

You're really going to love that gun, though. I've seen a mosin shoot straight through a willow that was literally thicker than I was tall, trees are no kind of cover from a man with a mosin. Really, the rifle is astoundingly powerful, and can be fairly accurate as well. The most I've been able to coax out of mine was about 2 moa out of my most pristine example, but I'm not the best rifleman in the world, and granted some modern optics might help that.

Well, anyways, enjoy.

That is a ton of information! Thank you.

I am going to keep he gooed up until tomorrow when I can tear her down and give her a proper cleaning.

There looked like one more box in the corner and he had one out on the spinner rack. Gus is a nice dude, I know he was leaving at 4p today to head to the show and not sure anyone would be there tomorrow.

a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Very nice. It's going to be great weather this weekend to try it out.

This rain is convincing me otherwise. ;)

Need to find a place to shoot it, Gus gave me a few rounds. Would I look like an idiot shooting it with the bayonet on? Reading this one was sighted with the bayonet attached... just curious.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I have no clue what a hex means...

I just tried to identify it viz 7.62x54r.net and it led me to believe it is a Dragoon. 48 1/2", flat sights, Izhevsk markings...

If you look at the metal part that's between the rear sight and the bolt, you'll see that it's hexagonal, rather than round. That's a good thing. There should also be a date stamped on it. The "hex" models are a bit harder to find than the rounds, are a bit stronger and usually better finished, and they are more desired. You done good!

Look at all the serial numbers on the various parts. If they all match, and none have been written on with an electro-pencil, you've done even more gooder!

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    Why the Mosin?

So I am new to the forum here and have only modern firearms. There is quite a buzz here online about these Mosins so I am curious as to why the attraction? Just an easily obtained relic (price/quantity) or is there something else I should know. Always looking for a reason to get another one!

a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    If you look at the metal part that's between the rear sight and the bolt, you'll see that it's hexagonal, rather than round. That's a good thing. There should also be a date stamped on it. The "hex" models are a bit harder to find than the rounds, are a bit stronger and usually better finished, and they are more desired. You done good!

Look at all the serial numbers on the various parts. If they all match, and none have been written on with an electro-pencil, you've done even more gooder!

I found four serial numbers, metal plate on the butt-stock, bottom of the magazine, bolt and receiver and they match, do not appear to be altered and look rolled on.

a_randy_sewer

Prius-driving-gun-owner
    Nov 18, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    So I am new to the forum here and have only modern firearms. There is quite a buzz here online about these Mosins so I am curious as to why the attraction? Just an easily obtained relic (price/quantity) or is there something else I should know. Always looking for a reason to get another one!

For me it is the history and look. To hold a long rifle made in 1926 and to imagine it was probably issued for a particular conflict makes me all nostalgic.

I would jump over hear to read up on them... http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/Mosinprimer.htm
    I will defer to others more qualified to answer.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012

Mosin-Nagants were made in a few different models, in a few different countries, and captured and modified for use by a couple more. They were made by the millions, and were front-line weapons for nearly 100 years. They are relatively accurate (and can be tweaked to excellent accuracy), have traditionally been cheap, and surplus ammo for them has--up until very recently--been very inexpensive. On top of all that, they pack a hell of a wallop. A standard Mosin-Nagant rifle, even using surplus Soviet ammo, isn't a bad deer rifle for moderate-range shots.

Again, they've traditionally been inexpensive, with very nice examples of the most-produced model 91/30s running at about $100. Those prices have jumped in the last few weeks, and supplies are pretty well sold out at most wholesale places, but they are still around to be had. More of them should be coming in eventually, but they'll be higher for a couple of reasons (on both sides of the ocean). Still, they should remain a bargain for a long time, so long as ammo can be had.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13

Well, anyways, enjoy.

Any pics?

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    That is a ton of information! Thank you.

I am going to keep he gooed up until tomorrow when I can tear her down and give her a proper cleaning.

There looked like one more box in the corner and he had one out on the spinner rack. Gus is a nice dude, I know he was leaving at 4p today to head to the show and not sure anyone would be there tomorrow.

Don't do the oven, your house will smell like shit from this

gunone

MDS Supporter
    Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    This rain is convincing me otherwise. ;)

Need to find a place to shoot it, Gus gave me a few rounds. Would I look like an idiot shooting it with the bayonet on? Reading this one was sighted with the bayonet attached... just curious.

There is Assoc Gun Clubs of Baltimore Range in Marriottsville, MD.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

I am a member of one of the clubs there. We have a 100 yard range that you can shoot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom