• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smagel

Hey, hey, my, my
    Jul 20, 2011
    Freddy's Store
    I've sent off emails to politicians both state and national and was getting ready to send another round when I got this from Chris Van Hollen.

Needless to say, I did not "express support for increased gun control."

Quite the opposite. (My first message to them is here - http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=99324)

WTF? Is his staff so inept that they can not tell when someone is for or against an issue? Worse, is this a nefarious attempt to minimize the response from his constituents on our opposition to increased restrictions on the freedom to own firearms?

What steams me the most is the possibility that this will result in my contacts with his office being counted as for restrictions instead of against.

I'm waiting to cool down before responding so I come across as reasonable and respectful, but I needed to vent here a bit first.

>>

Dear Mr. ... :

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for increased gun control in the wake of the mass shootings that have recently occurred throughout the country, including the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you.

I agree with you and believe we must do everything in our power to prevent tragic attacks like those in Aurora, Colorado and Newtown, Connecticut that have unfortunately become far too common in our society. We must immediately get to work to end these senseless killings of innocent Americans.

During my tenure in the Maryland General Assembly, I helped lead the successful effort to make Maryland gun safety laws among the strongest in the nation. Since my election to Congress, I have continued to fight for a wide range of common sense gun control laws. I must confess that I have been deeply disappointed by our lack of progress on this front at the national level. The NRA and the Washington Gun Lobby have been able to block common sense measures. They have fooled their membership into believing that any gun control measure would inevitably lead to the banning of hunting rifles and the use of guns for home protection.

I am hopeful that the horrible school shooting in Newtown will finally lead Congress to pass sensible gun safety legislation. Long before the Newtown shooting I have been an original cosponsor of the key gun control measures in Congress, including the following:

· I am a cosponsor of H.R.308, the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which was introduced by Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy in the wake of the Tuscon shooting which left six people dead and Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords wounded. This bill would restore the prohibition on large capacity ammunition feeding devices and prohibit the transfer, importation, or possession of high capacity magazines.

· I am a cosponsor of HR. 1781, the Fix Gun Checks Act. This bill would close gaps in the national gun background check system. It is estimated that 40% of gun sales, like those sold at gun shows, are exempt from the federal background check process. This giant loophole allows criminals, and individuals with mental health problems who have been determined to be a danger to themselves or others, to easily obtain firearms. We must close this loophole now.

· I am a cosponsor of H.R . 6241, the Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act of 2012. This legislation would prevent people from anonymously purchasing unlimited quantities of ammunition through the Internet or other mail-order means. It would also require that ammunition dealers report bulk sales of ammunition to law enforcement and maintain records of the sale of all ammunition purchased.

· I am a cosponsor of H.R. 1506, the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2011. This bill ensures that suspected terrorists are not able to purchase a firearm. Currently, an individual on the terrorist watch list cannot board an airplane, but can purchase semi-automatic assault weapons. This is an absurd and dangerous situation.

In addition, I continue to support a ban on military-style assault rifles. I have been a cosponsor of the assault weapons ban and am pleased that Senator Diane Feinstein will be reintroducing an improved version of this legislation in January, when the 113th Congress convenes. I will push for a similar measure in the House of Representatives. I am also encouraged that Representative Carolyn McCarthy and Representative Diana DeGette will introduce the Assault Magazine Ban Bill as soon as the Congress convenes on January 3rd. I will cosponsor that bill. I will continue to work with my colleagues to try to pass meaningful gun control measures. Simply put, inaction is unacceptable.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of service.

Sincerely,
    Chris Van Hollen
    Member of Congress

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Van Hollen is one of the most useless Con_Gressmen in an institution filled with useless people. Can any one name ONE thing he has actually done for the 8th district? That rat bastard does not have any public meetings that I can find, and works for the Communist... er Democrat party exclusively. I would call his office just for the satisfaction of reaming one of his staffers. What a first class douchbag.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I wrote Mikulski an actual paper letter and she thanked me for supporting "women's health"....do they even read what we send?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom