• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    With the ammo shortages lately, I have been wanting to shoot more than just my 10/22. (I also have a 7.62x39 AR, but that ammo is hard to find and expensive, and it is very hard to find any 9mm for my USP). One gun that I've liked is the K98k (probably because I am biased toward liking German guns). I've noticed the 8mm Mauser ammo is still pretty cheap, and a shooting quality rifle doesn't seem too bad. My friend has a Mosin Nagant 91/30, so that's why I don't really want one of those since he almost always comes to the range with me. I think I will look for some K98ks at the gun show this weekend, but is there anything specific I should inspect? I assume it would be good to look at the barrel before buying one, and checking the headspace before shooting, but is there anything else I should check with these rifle? Also if anyone has any advice for getting a rifle like this, feel free to let me know. Thanks!

98's are like tanks.
    Look at the crown on the muzzle, make sure it appears uniform, not gouged up. sometimes this can be hard if you don't have an eyeloupe handy. BUT you can always re-crown a gun for an expense.
    If all the #'s match, this is a plus. Bolt, stock, receiver, etc....
    If there are no import marks this is definetly a plus but getting rare. The import marks are NORMALLY on the barrel up near the muzzle.
    Collectors will search the gun for German markings about the gun, but this has nothing to do with how it will shoot.
    Good luck

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Get one, diversity in calibers is the best way to stay shooting in an ammo shortage. I switch around as something is always available (8mm is very cheap right now which is part of the reason I am hunting for a Hakim or another shooter Mauser myself).

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Look for a russian capture. They were rearsenaled by the russians and are less collectable, ie cost less, but they are usually in very good condition and affordable.

Good chances that anything with all matching numbers is a fake if you can afford it for plinking.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    Mine is for sale. Need money! S/27 code built in 1936, russian capture, great shape and is a tack driver. about 300 rounds of ammo come with it. PM me if interested.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks for all your advice! GunnyHwy, I'll PM you, because that does sound like it could be what I would be interested in.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Otherwise if you want to go easy on money for the ammo: Israeli conversions to .308 are also out there.

Isn't .308 normally more expensive than surplus 8mm Mauser? Eventually I would like to get a modern gun in .308, but right now I've seen lots of good deals on 8mm.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Isn't .308 normally more expensive than surplus 8mm Mauser?
    Yeah, the only problem with the surplus 8mm is the availability. There were some good deals in the US but the supply to CIP countries has already dried up and I expect that to happen here in the next few years.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I've four 98k's. Yugo referb, East German referb and a post War Czech all in 8mm and a 98k in 308. Best deals on a nice shooter are the Yugo and post war Czech, they go for less then $200 and can be found with matching numbers. BUT the 308 kicks a lot less :)

k-98002.jpg

betterpix.jpg

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've four 98k's. Yugo referb, East German referb and a post War Czech all in 8mm and a 98k in 308. Best deals on a nice shooter are the Yugo and post war Czech, they go for less then $200 and can be found with matching numbers. BUT the 308 kicks a lot less :)

k-98002.jpg

betterpix.jpg

We have got to go shooting sometime. Our tastes in weapons is quite complementary! :D

I just picked up a great looking czech vz24 with the lion and am waiting on delivery of a czech IDF mauser as well.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Whats the difference between a K98K and a K98

The K98K is a little shorter than the K98, and from what I heard, the K98k was what was mostly used in WWII. I may be wrong about its use though, so if anyone knows better, feel free to correct me.

Dan44, those are some nice looking rifles! I assume they are in such great contdition because they aren't original German models, but they look great!

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Here's an update... I bought the K98k from GunnyHwy, and it is great! I took it to Cresap today, and it is really accurate even though I could still get better. Once I got used to aiming it, it was pretty easy keeping most of the shots close to the center, even at 100 yds. Even though this was my first time shooting it, I did better than I normally do with my AR. The only problem is that my shoulder got sore, but I don't care because it was so fun to shoot. Another thing I love is how simple it is and is really easy to take down and clean. I love the design of it, and can see how it would be so reliable.

Thanks again GunnyHwy!

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    Here's an update... I bought the K98k from GunnyHwy, and it is great! I took it to Cresap today, and it is really accurate even though I could still get better. Once I got used to aiming it, it was pretty easy keeping most of the shots close to the center, even at 100 yds. Even though this was my first time shooting it, I did better than I normally do with my AR. The only problem is that my shoulder got sore, but I don't care because it was so fun to shoot. Another thing I love is how simple it is and is really easy to take down and clean. I love the design of it, and can see how it would be so reliable.

Thanks again GunnyHwy!

My loss, your gain.:)
    I am glad it found a good home. Enjoy!

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    Which version has the least kick of the two? For that price I would consider buying one to take to the range also.

Its that or I start looking for a Mosin.

Last edited:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    My K98 Mauser is probably my favorite WWII gun. I lilke it even more than my Garand. It's built like a tank yet cycles smooth as silk. Very accurate as well. Just a wonderful bolt action rifle. Once you use a K98 it's hard to shoot a Mosin Nagant because the Mauser it just vastly superior. I highly recommend picking one up.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Which version has the least kick of the two? For that price I would consider buying one to take to the range also.

Its that or I start looking for a Mosin.

Do you mean which has a harder kick between the K98 and K98k? I've only shot the K98k, but I would think it would have a little stronger kick because it is shorter and probably lighter.

Between the Mosin and the K98k, they are about the same, I would need to shoot one right after the other to tell which kicks harder. The K98k is more comfortable though, at least for me.

NitroMidgets

Apr 22, 2009
    Well then I will start looking around for a K98 or K98K. I wouldn't mind the longer of the two. Probably not buying until sometime next month though or else my wife will get pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom