• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    One more thing you might not know. Jeep Wrangler's have one of the highest resale value, of any vehicle in the world. Over 60% after 5 years.

Around 68% for Wranglers

Some FJs are selling for close to 90% of their Sticker Price especially if they're an elusive Manual

Used market is hotter than new, go figure

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Around 68% for Wranglers

Some FJs are selling for close to 90% of their Sticker Price especially if they're an elusive Manual

Used market is hotter than new, go figure

Yup. Fj, wrangler, and 4 runner are the top 3 overall I believe.

Subaru is tops as a brand.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    Jeep...must have...

Yes, I got an old AWD car and think it would be awesome to get a jeep next, maybe a wrangler. Are there any events around here to go to or shops that specializes in jeeps?

I will get something stock and use it for camping and the occasional snowmaggedon zombie apocalpse. It is also good for driving out to ski in WV in the middle of a snow storm.

Dunno about events, but I own a 2013 Wrangler now, owned a 2012 wrangler, '03 grand cherokee, and '00 cherokee...I highly recommend jeeps. You'll almost never have an issue in snow, they hold up well in accidents, they handle well...I recommend buying 2012 or above for the better engine (more mpg, longer maintenance intervals, etc). Jeep tells me when I need oil change, and its around 9.5K...18/19mi in city, 20-24 on highway. I currently have 2dr wrangler, the '12 was a 4dr wrangler...the hard top is lighter on a 4dr wrangler than 2dr wrangler (less glass), the turn radius of a 4dr wrangler is horrendous though, both my cherokee and grand cherokee were better..this becomes a problem off road and in bad snows. 2dr wrangler turns tight as it was designed, 4dr does get a touch better mpg as its a lil more aerodynamic...I have a locking lid for rear compartment so if top and doors are off you can lock a firearm or laptop...I've pretty much never got one stuck in snow w/ out trying to (in other words, screwing around in snow not regular driving). this snow we just had was the first time I've ever had to put chains on any jeep (i live on mountain, loss of traction on steep climb in fresh snow- no more forward), I put the chains on and i drove all-around on my unplowed, un maintained mountain road...
    any other questions feel free to PM me

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    Always wanted one. Finally picked up a '14 JKU after some teenager totaled my truck. I have no regrets. You love 'em or hate 'em. I love mine. Regeared to 4.56, 35" tires and a 2.5" lift. Had it off road(ish) already, and it was great (Camp Rodney after the torrential rains a few weeks ago). It's not my daily driver, so the fact that it has the aerodynamics of a breeze block is of no matter to me. I have two younger boys that ride in the back on booster seats (no issues there - we take it skiing/snowboarding). I love it.

Just Empty Every Pocket could easily be true if you let the sickness take hold. I'm resisting...so far.

'tis true: you love em or hate em...either your a jeep guy or not..me- I love

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    To be fair, no automobile review is ever going to be in favor of the wrangler. Uncomfortable? Check. Horrible mpg. Check. Horrible aesthetics . Check. Horrible electronic media. Check. No one buys a jeep for these attributes.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Fairly happy with my JKU grocery getter, was driving around just fine during the latest snow with decent tires.

I have had TJs, YJs, XJs, KJs, CJs etc.

While ordinarily I would recommend a TJ (actually I would also stick with a YJ but good bodied examples are getting very scarce), when packing stuff there really isn't much space to work with. Did it for years, many trips but it was always a bit of an exercise in futility sometimes for bigger gear needs with multiple people. That said, the turning radius etc is awesome.

They are pretty rough on ice but do well in heavy snow, short wheelbase doesn't help them. Its not a problem if you are careful an don't load up the brakes a lot, its not AWD. Also expect noisy, bumpy, and drive like a heavy truck in all of them, to me its part of the charm but others..........not so much.

If you go JKU make sure you get 2012 or newer. The mini-van motors in the 2008s to 11s were durable but barely enough power to move the thing, especially on WV mountains. The 3.6 while not my favorite engine is more than enough. The traction control on the JKUs I also very competent, which helps A LOT on ice and slush, which the earlier jeeps struggled in.

Expect sticker shock, these hold their value and frankly used may not be much better than new in terms of what you pay. You also don't get a lot off sticker.

While as with all Jeep/Chrysler cars, their quality is generally subpar, they are what they are and in defense of the JKU at least everything is easily serviceable.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I'd love to have my old CJ again. 360 Javelin engine with a GM TH400.

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
      IMG_0971.JPG
      122.6 KB · Views: 186

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    For what?

They reviewed it very badly on quality. As with most of the auto reviewers some of the item were "jeep endemic" e.g., oversteer poor finish etc. which most of us accept. Some were quality, recall etc.

I cant say too much bad about 2012, 2 recalls, no major issues (yet).

There was also a nasty issue with all of the 3.6's and the left valve bank. But to Jeep's defense they extended the powertrain warranty out to 150k.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If you want a 4x4 to throw a ton of stuff in to go camp, shoot, or whatever you cant beat the bed space of a pickup. The long wheel base helps too. I love jeeps but I hear horror stories about reliability and such. If you have finished puberty, forget about the FJ and similar toys, you will find more utilitarian use and general performance out of your choice of pickup truck. My buddy has a Nissan pickup that he has put through the ringer out here, and my Sierra has stood up to everything I have thrown at it as well as mother nature. Remember, your vehicle is only as good as the shoes you put on it. A solid set of tires on a capable 4x4 vehicle will not let you down as long as you can drive it. A truck cap or tonneau cover can convert it into an instant tent. I've slept many nights in my bed to start hunting my half hour before sunrise. A pickup is a time tested proven tool. I'd give it some thought. You don't need to dump money into a truck like a jeep. Big capable tires, and you are DONE for most of what you'll encounter unless you intentional drive over boulders for some retarded reason. Whatever you get, learn how does, and drive it well. My humble GMC, which I named Martin Riggs.

56ec3d74d2e761f2c00560caa5950ed4.jpg

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    The only way to go, Jeep. Just got rid of my CJ that I've had since the 90's. My DD is a 2.5 liter 1995 Rio Grande special edition, picked it up in Cobb Island for 800.00, 200.00 later and I'm driving, runs like a champ, no oil issues, has a quarter mil miles on it and I drive it everywhere, no rust, it was Ziebarted way back when and its solid as a rock. I do have a 1990 YJ that I did an axels up restore, 5.0 mustang engine, NV4500 trans, atlas transfer case and an 18" driveshaft, 35" tires good to go. I'm currently working on my last one, 1989 YJ. brand new 4.2 liter, Mopar MPI system, 4 speed T-176 trans, planning on 33" tires and a 4" lift, coming down the home stretch on this, can't wait. Oh, my old CJ w/the 4.2, after I injected it and did some other improvements it would smoke any 4.0 with any problems, boy I hated to see that one go. But on the short end I wouldn't own anything else.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The only way to go, Jeep. Just got rid of my CJ that I've had since the 90's. My DD is a 2.5 liter 1995 Rio Grande special edition, picked it up in Cobb Island for 800.00, 200.00 later and I'm driving, runs like a champ, no oil issues, has a quarter mil miles on it and I drive it everywhere, no rust, it was Ziebarted way back when and its solid as a rock. I do have a 1990 YJ that I did an axels up restore, 5.0 mustang engine, NV4500 trans, atlas transfer case and an 18" driveshaft, 35" tires good to go. I'm currently working on my last one, 1989 YJ. brand new 4.2 liter, Mopar MPI system, 4 speed T-176 trans, planning on 33" tires and a 4" lift, coming down the home stretch on this, can't wait. Oh, my old CJ w/the 4.2, after I injected it and did some other improvements it would smoke any 4.0 with any problems, boy I hated to see that one go. But on the short end I wouldn't own anything else.

A man who like leaf springs! I miss my 92 YJ, rest in pieces (literally) but it took a hell of a hit and I walked away.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    If you want a 4x4 to throw a ton of stuff in to go camp, shoot, or whatever you cant beat the bed space of a pickup. The long wheel base helps too. I love jeeps but I hear horror stories about reliability and such. If you have finished puberty, forget about the FJ and similar toys, you will find more utilitarian use and general performance out of your choice of pickup truck. My buddy has a Nissan pickup that he has put through the ringer out here, and my Sierra has stood up to everything I have thrown at it as well as mother nature. Remember, your vehicle is only as good as the shoes you put on it. A solid set of tires on a capable 4x4 vehicle will not let you down as long as you can drive it. A truck cap or tonneau cover can convert it into an instant tent. I've slept many nights in my bed to start hunting my half hour before sunrise. A pickup is a time tested proven tool. I'd give it some thought. You don't need to dump money into a truck like a jeep. Big capable tires, and you are DONE for most of what you'll encounter unless you intentional drive over boulders for some retarded reason. Whatever you get, learn how does, and drive it well. My humble GMC, which I named Martin Riggs.

56ec3d74d2e761f2c00560caa5950ed4.jpg

I have been thinking of a pickup. Maybe a mid-size like the Chevy Colorado, but I want a manual shifter and that is not easy to find. Maybe a Tacoma?

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    truck vs jeep

Tacoma's are great trucks too. I'm sure you'd be very happy with one!

tacomas/ 4runners are good vehicles as well (they are the exact same build, the only difference is exterior bed vs SUV style). Ive driven an '03 tacoma and my fiancee has a '15 4runner...in the heavy snow we just had and crap jobs of plows up front my jeep was superior due to tighter turn radius when you were surprised by the plows just stopping and had to turn around...I don't do crazy offer road stuff and all my jeeps have been "stock models"- no lift, big tires, etc...due to shorter wheel base than tacoma (2dr wrangler) theres a spot we go to on a river that the truck doesn't go because it will bottom out w/ the longer wheel base...whatever you get, if you have any hint of an idea of leaving the roadway, make sure that you have the metal plates under the vehicle that are stock issued w/ wranglers...not sure they are stock issued in tacoma/ 4 runners, I know they're not in reg Patriots and Grand Cherokees

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Mine came with metal skid plates.

The 4Runner and taco are similar but different.
    It is a shame they stopped offering the v8 in the 4Runner. A friend has a new one and even my wife who isn't into cars didn't like driving us all home from dinner one night. "I had to floor it to go up and down hills, your just goes better." Lol

I've always liked the idea is a jeep. Had a cj5 three speed a long time ago. Got tired of always messing with it.

I laws have a 05 grand Cherokee overland that is used really for putting the boat in the water. It has half the miles of my 4Runner and feels like it's falling apart. It's been services so many times and no one can find anything wrong with it. But it just drives like garbage.

I won't have another jeep. Like people said, you love them or don't. I don't. I like my vehicles to be reliable and still go anywhere I need.

4Runner (Betty) has a small lift, upgraded aftermarket suspension and has never been stuck. But it has been close. I took it out during the blizzard to pick up some friends from out of town. Some places had over a foot of snow and didn't have any issues with it at all.

My suggestion would be to either realize the jeep issues/ culture and keep considering it, or stop thinking about a jeep.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    tacomas/ 4runners are good vehicles as well (they are the exact same build, the only difference is exterior bed vs SUV style). Ive driven an '03 tacoma and my fiancee has a '15 4runner...in the heavy snow we just had and crap jobs of plows up front my jeep was superior due to tighter turn radius when you were surprised by the plows just stopping and had to turn around...I don't do crazy offer road stuff and all my jeeps have been "stock models"- no lift, big tires, etc...due to shorter wheel base than tacoma (2dr wrangler) theres a spot we go to on a river that the truck doesn't go because it will bottom out w/ the longer wheel base...whatever you get, if you have any hint of an idea of leaving the roadway, make sure that you have the metal plates under the vehicle that are stock issued w/ wranglers...not sure they are stock issued in tacoma/ 4 runners, I know they're not in reg Patriots and Grand Cherokees

Those stock skids are a freaking joke. Any stock slid is made out of recycled beer cans.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    While they don't cover everything, they have been more than adequate and have the dents to show for it.

Beer cans are aluminum. The skids are steel.

If you were to go jeep I would suggest the 4.0 inline 6. My friend still has his Cherokee, not sure of the year, but he has 270,xxx miles on it. Recently rebuilt the top end and it runs great. The floor is rusting out and he is constantly cutting and welding stuff, but it runs well

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom