• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Yes, I got an old AWD car and think it would be awesome to get a jeep next, maybe a wrangler. Are there any events around here to go to or shops that specializes in jeeps?

I will get something stock and use it for camping and the occasional snowmaggedon zombie apocalpse. It is also good for driving out to ski in WV in the middle of a snow storm.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I have a 2000 Wrangler. They aren't great in snow or ice. Trick Trucks has a lot of stuff and they have several locations. I love my Jeep.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I've got a 99 TJ and a 2014 JKU. The TJ is great because it's a Jeep and no one has any illusions about it being anything else.

The JKU is...fine. But understand that even though it has 4 doors, it's lousy for taking other people long distances because the back seat is narrow and it has no leg room. Not sure if you have kids, but it's a pain in the ass to get a car seat installed and if it's rear-facing, you'll need to shop around because most of them won't fit. Also, don't plan on putting two rear-facing car seats back there unless you only allow double amputees to ride in the passenger seat.

My advice would be to skip a newer Jeep and buy an older model TJ or XJ that you can use for your Snowmageddon Escape Vehicle and then use the saving to buy a reasonable, boring-ass daily driver.

Unless you're single and don't plan on having kids for several years, in which case buy whatever you want and have fun! But even in that case, I'd still recommend getting a TJ or XJ and then using the savings to make that thing your personalized, specialized embodiment of automotive awesomeness (and also to fix the things you break).

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My Dad has a 1999 TJ with the straight-6. What a great vehicle.

My Mom has a 2011 4 door JK with the V-6. Like Mickey the Dragon said above the 4 door option still sucks for long distance trips as leg room in the back is limited.

The V6 in her 2011 is the 3.8L I believe. Some of those engines had real issues. Hers burns a quart of oil every 500 miles and based on research that seems to have happened to a number of folks. Like all good corporations Jeep has avoided a recall or any sort of action to help affected owners.

Even if her motor ran fine the engine is a turd IMO. The Jeep is underpowered, especially when compared to my Dad's TJ with that 4.0L I6.

Nowadays they have a different V6 which is supposedly better.

My advice is buy an older one. Those 4.0L engines run forever.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I too have been shopping around for a 2003-2006 TJ (I would prefer the long wheel base LJ but they are not as common) with the 4.0L and manual transmission.

Where should I looking for frame and/or bodies rust issues on the TJs? Anything else I should be looking for when inspecting them?

I would buy a newer JK but I am not too fond of the 3.8L V6 minivan engines that burn oil and the valves train noise taps like an old sewing machine.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    I too have been shopping around for a 2003-2006 TJ (I would prefer the long wheel base LJ but they are not as common) with the 4.0L and manual transmission.

Where should I looking for frame and/or bodies rust issues on the TJs? Anything else I should be looking for when inspecting them?

I would buy a newer JK but I am not too fond of the 3.8L V6 minivan engines that burn oil and the valves train noise taps like an old sewing machine.

Frames rust out bad, bodies do get rust, certain years of the 4.0 had issues with cracking cylinder heads.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I've got a 99 TJ and a 2014 JKU. The TJ is great because it's a Jeep and no one has any illusions about it being anything else.

The JKU is...fine. But understand that even though it has 4 doors, it's lousy for taking other people long distances because the back seat is narrow and it has no leg room. Not sure if you have kids, but it's a pain in the ass to get a car seat installed and if it's rear-facing, you'll need to shop around because most of them won't fit. Also, don't plan on putting two rear-facing car seats back there unless you only allow double amputees to ride in the passenger seat.

My advice would be to skip a newer Jeep and buy an older model TJ or XJ that you can use for your Snowmageddon Escape Vehicle and then use the saving to buy a reasonable, boring-ass daily driver.

Unless you're single and don't plan on having kids for several years, in which case buy whatever you want and have fun! But even in that case, I'd still recommend getting a TJ or XJ and then using the savings to make that thing your personalized, specialized embodiment of automotive awesomeness (and also to fix the things you break).

My kids are older, so no needs for car seats. Maybe use it for the kids to learn to drive stick shift. Yeah, I was thinking of buying used. How old are TJs or XJs?

I like your avatar. I fly the Ohio flag on my flagpole. The neighbors asked me what the flag was!

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    My '14 Jeep is my second wrangler. You love them or hate them. Slightly random, but hands down best heater in a vehicle I've ever experienced. Just don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry. Its like driving a refrigerator down the highway.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    My kids are older, so no needs for car seats. Maybe use it for the kids to learn to drive stick shift. Yeah, I was thinking of buying used. How old are TJs or XJs?

I like your avatar. I fly the Ohio flag on my flagpole. The neighbors asked me what the flag was!

Tj's made from 97-06
    XJ's from 84-01

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    4Runner fan here. 4Runners are unstoppable--just ask the Taliban.

I saw a newer lifted 4RNR the other day. It looked sick. Curious on its gearing and if the engine needs a supercharger to push the bigger wheels.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio

2014 to present all have the 3.6L Pentastar, which I believe has alleviated most of the engine issues present in the 3.8L.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    image.jpeg

J/K

Be like Mickey the D and buy a Subaru OB instead of a Jeep

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'll admit some wranglers look cool. A coworker has a nice 2014 with a few mods. Just don't like the way they ride for daily driving. I'll take a new grand cherokee any day though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom