• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    As part of my practice, I use FastCase through the Maryland State Bar Association ("MSBA") to do my research. Well, it still has not updated its statutory database to reflect FSA 2013. I contacted FastCase about it back in October and still NADA. So, last night I wrote the president of the MSBA about the matter and informed him that it makes it tough for me to do my research for clients with firearm matters when the statutes on FastCase are not current. Essentially, I cannot print out the statute from FastCase but have to go to Lexis Nexis and print it in a round about fashion. Well, this morning I received a call from one of the staff members at the MSBA regarding the matter.

Toward the end of the call, he asked me if West Friendship is in Garrett County or on the eastern shore. I think he was shocked when I told him it was in Howard County just west of Ellicott City and that he probably has not heard about it because it is very small. Small enough that if you sneeze while on I-70, you will miss it. Then, he mentioned that Howard County is a great place to be since it is the richest county in Maryland. Think he had a hard time fathoming that a law practice in central Maryland, especially Howard County, could have clients with firearms issues.

Last year, several of my clients were shocked to find out that I am a gun owner and hunter.

So, just a reminder to look and act as professionally as possible, and not to be afraid to let people know you support the 2nd Amendment. The stereotype of gun owners being "rednecks" or country folk needs to end.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I like your sentiment, but given that most people seem to get their facts and information from political cartoons and Jon Stewart as opposed to their own eyes and the real world...

Nah, I'm just being a smart-ass (half-way). You're right. Conventional wisdom says that because people make lasting judgments based on first appearances, it's best to maintain at least a professional demeanor on every first contact.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Damn! Does that mean I should remove the camo seat covers in my Audi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, just paint the entire car camo so your seat covers match. Then, have a tailor make you some suits out of Mossy Oak, and not just a single camo pattern suit because you need different suits for different environments. Something dark for funerals, something light for festive occasions, etc.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Total tangent, but I much prefer Lexis/Nexis. We get it on disc and they update it every two months or so. We have access to Fastcase but I really don't like it for that reason. Also you can install the discs on your laptop so you don't need internet to access it.

As far as the redneck thing, well I always wear French cuffs and nice suits, but we do have deer heads and a fox on the walls of our conference room...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Total tangent, but I much prefer Lexis/Nexis. We get it on disc and they update it every two months or so. We have access to Fastcase but I really don't like it for that reason. Also you can install the discs on your laptop so you don't need internet to access it.

As far as the redneck thing, well I always wear French cuffs and nice suits, but we do have deer heads and a fox on the walls of our conference room...

Yeah, I'm a tight SOB. WestLaw was costing me $300+ a month. FastCase is free for members of the MSBA. For several years I never even tried it. Then, I decided to give it a shot and see what it was like. I tried it and found it to be just fine for my needs. I save $3,600+ a year, which equates to $7,200+ of billable time to make $3,600 net.

I try to keep my monthly expenses as low as possible. It allows me to charge less than most attorneys and represent people/businesses that normally wouldn't be able to afford an attorney, while I make a decent living.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Nah, just paint the entire car camo so your seat covers match. Then, have a tailor make you some suits out of Mossy Oak, and not just a single camo pattern suit because you need different suits for different environments. Something dark for funerals, something light for festive occasions, etc.

You know I like that idea... a bit to costly for me... but.. .

What if we had a muddy girl camo tie made up or something

Or a purple haze camo.... most folks would think its some kind of new age thing... but we in the know would be spoting like minds all over.. .

Like the ar bolt face.. if you know you know otherwise?????

It did not know till after my first ar ....

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown

Excellent! I'll do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I miss the days when almost everyone in Howard County was country folk.

xgaspx

Pennsylvania Ex-Pat
    May 31, 2013
    Maryland
    Yeah, I'm a tight SOB. WestLaw was costing me $300+ a month. FastCase is free for members of the MSBA. For several years I never even tried it. Then, I decided to give it a shot and see what it was like. I tried it and found it to be just fine for my needs. I save $3,600+ a year, which equates to $7,200+ of billable time to make $3,600 net.

I try to keep my monthly expenses as low as possible. It allows me to charge less than most attorneys and represent people/businesses that normally wouldn't be able to afford an attorney, while I make a decent living.

As an attorney I am happy to see this thread has gone on for an hour without a lawyer joke. Forget Westlaw and Lexis/Nexis. I do all my legal research on Google. I will be defending my malpractice suit with Google research too.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I get similar reactions in the IT sector. I have one colleague who was a mathematics major and we discuss long range ballistics on occasion. I've had a number of people come from around the office to listen in and are amazed that there is such a large range of topics to discuss and such a wide variety of technical discussions available without a single "hey y'all watch this" or Dirty Harry testosterone moment.

One woman was actually impressed enough to take a handgun class last year. I considered that my good deed for 2013.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    As an attorney I am happy to see this thread has gone on for an hour without a lawyer joke. Forget Westlaw and Lexis/Nexis. I do all my legal research on Google. I will be defending my malpractice suit with Google research too.

lol - Google is a good place to start. Then, you can narrow it down once google provides the background.

Don't worry, I am sure the lawyer jokes are coming pretty soon. Luckily, I just put on the CPA hat when I read them. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I miss the days when almost everyone in Howard County was country folk.

I miss those days a plenty. Over the past 30 years I have watched homes being built around the places I hunt. Not only that, but it seems as though the new homeowners feel the need to call DNR almost every time they hear a gun shot. Surprised they have not been calling SWAT. They move out to what used to be the country and now they have an issue with it. Western Howard County reminds me of the Montgomery County that I grew up in, that is no longer. Expect the same thing to happen here over the next couple of decades.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    We need you guys

No lawyer jokes because we need good Pro 2A lawyers when us law abiding citizens get snag up because the laws keep moving the goalposts.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

What's brown and black and looks good on a lawyer?

A Rottweiler.

Don't worry, I am sure the lawyer jokes are coming pretty soon. Luckily, I just put on the CPA hat when I read them. lol

Why do people become accountants?

Because they don't have the personality to be actuaries.

Sorry to break the streak. :o
    I'll throw one in at myself:

Do you know the difference between God and a doctor?

God knows he's not a doctor.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    What's brown and black and looks good on a lawyer?

A Rottweiler.

Why do people become accountants?

Because they don't have the personality to be actuaries.

Sorry to break the streak. :o
    I'll throw one in at myself:

Do you know the difference between God and a doctor?

God knows he's not a doctor.

You know where doctors learned to practice medicine? At their lawyer's office.

Edit to correct screw up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom