• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I am starting to do a lot of solo overnight kayak trips back in the "wilderness",,
    One of these hand helds would let me know what is lurking out past the light of my campfire,,,,,,, or maybe I don't want to know.
    1000005512.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’m really intrigued by the DJI Mavick T3 Thermal imaging drone. It’s armed with. 640x512 Thermal Imager plus a 48 megapixel wide angle camera and a 12 megapixel low light, high gain, telephoto camera that can be pushed out to 56X zoom. It retails for about $5500 which is about the cost of a mid grade thermal optic.

Top speed of 45mph.

If you are talking about game spotting, or even better game recovery using thermal during the day, threat assessment day or night or even search and rescue, has quite a lot of potential to do all of that.

There is also a $600 upgrade module to give the device position accuracy to 1cm. That’s 100 times better than public GPS accuracy.

Check out this quick user video.

Here is a more in depth review. https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/dji-mavic-3t-enterprise-thermal-review

Remember, one day the government will be using sophisticated drones to surveil you, and potentially even subdue you. The’ll most likely highly restrict individual drone use. You might as well accept this fact, and start researching drone technology now. I recommend getting into the game before the lock. Buy used, buy anonymously and pay cash if possible too. Better yet, build your own from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’m really intrigued by the DJI Mavick T3 Thermal imaging drone. It’s armed with. 640x512 Thermal Imager plus a 48 megapixel wide angle camera and a 12 megapixel low light, high gain, telephoto camera that can be pushed out to 56X zoom. It retails for about $5500 which is about the cost of a mid grade thermal optic.

Top speed of 45mph.

If you are talking about game spotting, or even better game recovery using thermal during the day, threat assessment day or night or even search and rescue, has quite a lot of potential to do all of that.

There is also a $600 upgrade module to give the device position accuracy to 1cm. That’s 100 times better than public GPS accuracy.

Check out this quick user video.

Here is a more in depth review. https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/dji-mavic-3t-enterprise-thermal-review

Remember, one day the government will be using sophisticated drones to surveil you, and potentially even subdue you. The’ll most likely highly restrict individual drone use. You might as well accept this fact, and start researching drone technology now. I recommend getting into the game before the lock. Buy used, buy anonymously and pay cash if possible too. Better yet, build your own from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one very cool piece. It would be a lot of fun but I’m pretty sure I’d crash it night one. Would also need to check local regs on hunting with it.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Thermals are worthless when you look into building windows because you cannot look past the pane of glass if the interior is a different temp. I could tell you stories of what thermals could do.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Good, bad or both?
    Good
    I used to teach the Bradley Fighting Vehicle and we would roll one of those things right outside the building. I had a Warrant Officer instruct me on how to use the Integrated Sight Unit (ISU). I turned it on and heard a little noise like a mini refrigerator. Yes the sight unit was cooling down to increase sensitivity.
    I swung the cannon on a car parked 500 or so meters and low and behold. Easy to ID if it was front wheel drive. You would notice things like brake shoes still warm long after the car was parked. You could tell the difference between a man and a woman just by the heat signature up around the chest area. There is no hiding in the woods because you cannot hide in the woods from this ISU as its very sensitive to heat and cold. Handprints on a door knob ect. This is why you cannot detect movement inside a building with a temp difference on the glass panes.
    Mind you that this was considered older technology BFV M2A1 and M2A2 and I was dallying around with them around Y2K 2000. They have long had updated equivalent sight units that are much more sensitive and can actually pick up on heat signatures that were not detectable with the M2A2. It was the M2 and M3 Bradley that were in Desert Storm. I would not be surprised if some of those same vehicles (by hull number) are now fighting the Russians in Ukraine.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Good
    I used to teach the Bradley Fighting Vehicle and we would roll one of those things right outside the building. I had a Warrant Officer instruct me on how to use the Integrated Sight Unit (ISU). I turned it on and heard a little noise like a mini refrigerator. Yes the sight unit was cooling down to increase sensitivity.
    I swung the cannon on a car parked 500 or so meters and low and behold. Easy to ID if it was front wheel drive. You would notice things like brake shoes still warm long after the car was parked. You could tell the difference between a man and a woman just by the heat signature up around the chest area. There is no hiding in the woods because you cannot hide in the woods from this ISU as its very sensitive to heat and cold. Handprints on a door knob ect. This is why you cannot detect movement inside a building with a temp difference on the glass panes.
    Mind you that this was considered older technology BFV M2A1 and M2A2 and I was dallying around with them around Y2K 2000. They have long had updated equivalent sight units that are much more sensitive and can actually pick up on heat signatures that were not detectable with the M2A2. It was the M2 and M3 Bradley that were in Desert Storm. I would not be surprised if some of those same vehicles (by hull number) are now fighting the Russians in Ukraine.
    But would they work in Baltimore? Asking for a friend…

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Wraith mini thermal or rattler ts25-384?

They seem to spec somewhere close to the same

Or jump to the rattler ts35-640?

Or is it worth it to go to the ts50-640?

I probably won’t get either until the middle to end of 2024, unless I can scratch up the extra cash quicker, so I have time to think

The first two just seem reasonably priced and quality for something that I would not use a tremendous amount. They’re small enough to use for monoculars as well as scopes so they can do double duty.

Or if I hold off until bonus time next year then I could jump to the ts50-640 but is it actually worth it?

I know but once cry once but if that’s the case o should just jump into the 1280’s right now at their beginning lol but the $17,999 price point on the only one I have seen is gonna be a no for me because I am not separating myself from that much of my money for what will most likely be a toy for me lol

What does the MDS brain trust think?

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Looks like the Feradyne / Covert Optics HS1 handheld thermal has been discontinued. I can't find it on their site at all. That's probably why their price was so heavily discounted recently; they were likely flushing their inventory. It still seems to be available on Amazon (3 left as of tonight) but at $399 (aka $400).

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I don't want to scroll through 16 pages of posts so a simple question: Is the HS-1 at $399 a good value or is there something else out there that is a better value for the $? (Budget of ~$500-ish) Thanks.

Happy New Year!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't want to scroll through 16 pages of posts so a simple question: Is the HS-1 at $399 a good value or is there something else out there that is a better value for the $? (Budget of ~$500-ish) Thanks.

Happy New Year!
    Not worth it at $400. The AGM TM10-256 has a much higher resolution, a lot more features, and a 25hz refresh rate for like $150 more.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Not worth it at $400. The AGM TM10-256 has a much higher resolution, a lot more features, and a 25hz refresh rate for like $150 more.
    How long do those internal batteries last?

Are they replaceable or when they go bad do you throw the unit away?

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Battery longevity and the ability to replace a non-charging battery is an issue for me, and seems to be an issue from online reviews of the TM10-256. I often take apart devices and replace their internal batteries, so just knowing the internal battery type would be helpful. I haven't found this yet.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Wraith mini thermal or rattler ts25-384?

They seem to spec somewhere close to the same

Or jump to the rattler ts35-640?

Or is it worth it to go to the ts50-640?

I probably won’t get either until the middle to end of 2024, unless I can scratch up the extra cash quicker, so I have time to think

The first two just seem reasonably priced and quality for something that I would not use a tremendous amount. They’re small enough to use for monoculars as well as scopes so they can do double duty.

Or if I hold off until bonus time next year then I could jump to the ts50-640 but is it actually worth it?

I know but once cry once but if that’s the case o should just jump into the 1280’s right now at their beginning lol but the $17,999 price point on the only one I have seen is gonna be a no for me because I am not separating myself from that much of my money for what will most likely be a toy for me lol

What does the MDS brain trust think?
    I have the 25-384, if you'd like to try it sometime.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Back to the AGM TM10-256 . . .
    Thanks erwos for identifying this product and apologies for my repeated posts on this "low-end" product.

AGM offers an External Power Bank for $43 that appears to work with the TM10-256. Does anyone have this optional product, and do you know if use of this power supply would allow device function if the internal battery is dead and will not recharge normally. If so, this addresses, if not overcomes, a major potential issue for a scenario where factory internal battery replacement might not be available.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Very generous of you to offer

I would like that

Where are you in SoMD?
    I'm in leonardtown, but don't mind meeting you somewhere. You have a farm, right? It might make sense to see how it works spotting deer some night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom