• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    Working from home this past Monday and the wonderful ladies of "The View" were discussing the tragedy in CT. I was interested to see what vomit would come out of their mouths, so I kept the channel locked for a second. Of course, it turned to "The problem is GUNS!" but they had guest speaker Dr. Michael Welner, a forensic psychologist, who quickly put them in their place.

I'd hate to support ABC or the witches at The View with a link to their web page, but it is worth watching them get a smackdown from someone who knows what he's talking about. Fast forward to 19:25, just after the second commercial break. Definitely worth the watch. Below is the full episode, commercials and all..

Enjoy!
    http://abc.go.com/watch/the-view/SH559080/VD55258652/the-view-1217

Last edited:

Smagel

Hey, hey, my, my
    Jul 20, 2011
    Freddy's Store
    Yep. However, I do disagree on a couple of his points.

I'm not sure that the mother deserves to be defended. If she had the guns properly secured and he got them by force, then yeah. If she was not responsible and allowed him access, then no. In that case, she shares a lot of the responsibility.

His rant on video games just does not ring true. I'm no professor, and don't have data but I have played violent video games and know enough other people my age and my sons' ages who play these games and none are dangerous in any way. Game violence may contribute to someone who is leaning that direction, but the games in themselves do not cause violent behavior.

Otherwise, it's a good listen.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Welner was on Good Morning America earlier that morning. It was quite odd hearing logic and watching an invited guest turn the tables on the interviewer.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I thought they would pre-screen to avoid a guest going against their desires.

He certainly wont be back now. They will find someone more in line, groupthink worthy.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    The View is a great show

meralcosucks+government+is+great+for+me+to+poop+on.jpg

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    I used to agree with your point on video games. Now, I am not so sure. They are SO REALISTIC and absolutly brutal that I think they do desensitize people to violence. Especially when they are played for such insainly long periods of time. Add to that a preexisitng mental illness....

Yep. However, I do disagree on a couple of his points.

I'm not sure that the mother deserves to be defended. If she had the guns properly secured and he got them by force, then yeah. If she was not responsible and allowed him access, then no. In that case, she shares a lot of the responsibility.

His rant on video games just does not ring true. I'm no professor, and don't have data but I have played violent video games and know enough other people my age and my sons' ages who play these games and none are dangerous in any way. Game violence may contribute to someone who is leaning that direction, but the games in themselves do not cause violent behavior.

Otherwise, it's a good listen.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Welner was on Good Morning America earlier that morning. It was quite odd hearing logic and watching an invited guest turn the tables on the interviewer.

I saw that too, unfortunately just when he started getting to the points one what could be done they ran out of time.... (edit: it didn't seem that they cut him off abruptly, and George S did seem to be listening... )

There was another expert they interviewed at the scene in CT over the weekend who also said he didn't think gun control was the answer.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    At the root of all this is a mentally unbalanced boy. Playing FPS video games or listening to rap music glorifying thug life won't make a rational person go on a killing spree in real world.

But I do think there needs to be some discussion of why we in the US have more issues with gun violence than other equally armed countries like Switzerland.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative

This is one of two big questions outstanding, at this point.

Assuming they were locked up and he broke them out, I'm guessing we'll be forever getting that information. The push from the beginning seems to be to blame her.

I'm trying to be objective on this... but I have doubts that CSP and the media will.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    I used to agree with your point on video games. Now, I am not so sure. They are SO REALISTIC and absolutly brutal that I think they do desensitize people to violence. Especially when they are played for such insainly long periods of time. Add to that a preexisitng mental illness....
    I like my shootemup's, but you don't see me out shooting people.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's

I like my shootemup's, but you don't see me out shooting people.

I agree with you Vince, but Smokey's point is valid. My son plays video games as well but I'm sure he won't go to the local school and lose his mind. The evidence is that this kid and some of the more recent mass shooter types are mentally unstable as well. You combine the two and these types sometimes can't separate reality from fantasy. Again, not everyone who is mentally handicapped is going to go out and commit mass murder nor is everyone who plays first person games like Call of Duty, SOCOM, Gears of War etc, nor is everyone who is mentally unstable who plays these types of games. BUT with the right conditions it can and has happened.

It's like making a bomb. All the individual components separately are relatively harmless. Mix them at the right proportions and put them in the right conditions, add a spark and BOOM!

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    But I do think there needs to be some discussion of why we in the US have more issues with gun violence than other equally armed countries like Switzerland.
    There's almost no point in comparing Switzerland to the US. The US will never be like Switzerland (nor do I want it to be).

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    At the root of all this is a mentally unbalanced boy. Playing FPS video games or listening to rap music glorifying thug life won't make a rational person go on a killing spree in real world.

Equally armed ? How so ?

Switzerland had a population of 7.8 million as of 2010
    United States had a population of 308.7 million as of 2010

While the estimates of U.S. gun ownership varies from 47% and upwards, considering the extreme difference in population (.025% of the US), it's hardly an apples-to-apples statitical comparison even IF there is an equal amount of gun ownership on a per person basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom