• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    There's been a lot of news lately about Switches.
    Caveat: I am NOT looking to print or obtain one. I do not want to install one. Don't go there.

Simple question: When I observe videos of people running through 30 round magazines on a handgun (usually a Glock) equipped with a switch, to me, it seems like it would be hard on the gun. They aren't built to run like that.

What parts do you think suffer accelerated wear? Do you think that this shaves years or hundreds of rounds off of the life of the gun, or do you think there's no major negative effects?

I am merely curious about this from an engineering and mechanical standpoint.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    There's been a lot of news lately about Switches.
    Caveat: I am NOT looking to print or obtain one. I do not want to install one. Don't go there.

Simple question: When I observe videos of people running through 30 round magazines on a handgun (usually a Glock) equipped with a switch, to me, it seems like it would be hard on the gun. They aren't built to run like that.

What parts do you think suffer accelerated wear? Do you think that this shaves years or hundreds of rounds off of the life of the gun, or do you think there's no major negative effects?

I am merely curious about this from an engineering and mechanical standpoint.
    I've worked for a couple 07s and had more than passing familiarity with these devices.

One guy had at least 20k rounds on a 17 with no part replacement except the recoil spring every 10k or so.

I know a guy with more than double that estimated on a couple of his host guns.

The 9mm glocks seem to do just fine. One guy has 10k plus on a 31 (357sig) with no issues at all. The way the sears work (the properly made units, anyway) there is not a lot of damaging wear or force on parts in directions not intended.

The Beretta 92 conversions are much different as they tend to break a LOT of firing pins and also exhibit accelerated wear on other small parts.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've worked for a couple 07s and had more than passing familiarity with these devices.

One guy had at least 20k rounds on a 17 with no part replacement except the recoil spring every 10k or so.

I know a guy with more than double that estimated on a couple of his host guns.

The 9mm glocks seem to do just fine. One guy has 10k plus on a 31 (357sig) with no issues at all. The way the sears work (the properly made units, anyway) there is not a lot of damaging wear or force on parts in directions not intended.

The Beretta 92 conversions are much different as they tend to break a LOT of firing pins and also exhibit accelerated wear on other small parts.
    Fascinating. Thanks for the analysis.

No, I'm not shopping for the right gun to put a Switch into if that's what anyone is thinking. I'm too much of a Fudd to own one of these conversions. I think they're kind of silly, sort of like the "Monster Miata" of guns. (Mazda Miata with an LS corvette engine stuffed into it)

From what I've observed, they *can* be kept on target by a skilled operator but many people who install them appear to be anything but skilled. They tend to spray lead around like lethal graffiti.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

No, I'm not shopping for the right gun to put a Switch into if that's what anyone is thinking. I'm too much of a Fudd to own one of these conversions. I think they're kind of silly, sort of like the "Monster Miata" of guns. (Mazda Miata with an LS corvette engine stuffed into it)

From what I've observed, they *can* be kept on target by a skilled operator but many people who install them appear to be anything but skilled. They tend to spray lead around like lethal graffiti.
    I have shot a legal FA glock 18. Fun as hell, but like you said, it was hard to control for me. I was able to keep it on a big target, but it definitely would tend to spay and pray.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

It takes a LOT of practice to get good with them but some of the guys put in the wrench time. A couple could keep a full happy stick in a b27 at 15yds (one continuous burst). I was ok at 7-10 with practice using a 17L with a sear. Running a 34 or a 17L makes them more controllable and a but smoother. At least to me. Add one of the Israeli snap in stocks and you change the game completely, though.
    Fella gotta have two things for one of those…

Lawyer on speed dial

A shitload of money/ammo…

My guess is stock springs and barrel get accelerated wear. Just a guess. Firing pin would be my final concern.
    07/SOT.

The wear didn't seem to be any different than shooting that same amount of ammo in semi auto. Never seen one break a firing pin.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Makes me think of this video from a few weeks ago on Hickock 45 Clips. I remember having the same thought about wear and metal fatigue.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'd think it would be pretty hard one the gun, too.

The biggest thing I can't understand is how all these idiots in their tik-toks/IG shorts with switches aren't being arrested. The internet isn't that anonymous anymore. Guess it just isn't a priority for LE?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

The biggest thing I can't understand is how all these idiots in their tik-toks/IG shorts with switches aren't being arrested. The internet isn't that anonymous anymore. Guess it just isn't a priority for LE?
    Please be patient. They’ve been tied up by a major op in Arkansas.

Take a number and sit over there. They’ll be right with you/us/them.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Please be patient. They’ve been tied up by a major op in Arkansas.

Take a number and sit over there. They’ll be right with you/us/them.
    :thumbsup:
    Re: Arkansas.
    I just read that the brown shirts were serving a search warrant, not even an arrest warrant.

They kicked this guy's door in and shot him over a search warrant. There were never any charges filed against him.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    :thumbsup:
    Re: Arkansas.
    I just read that the brown shirts were serving a search warrant, not even an arrest warrant.

They kicked this guy's door in and shot him over a search warrant. There were never any charges filed against him.

Makes me mad. Even angry. (Chase that down for a second with me…likely because it scares me that this is a(nother) recent and blatant example of a tyrannical government who has no rules, no conscience and no constraints.)

I’ll go one step further. It’s ok for (ATF, FBI, CIA, NSA) BLM and Mommies etc to bring violence and threats of violence to the fore. But what about tax paying, law abiding, citizens, veterans, middle aged or older white, hetero men simply questioning or taking about the God awful constant transgressions against our Constitutiin online)? Nope. Don’t even consider taking about your frustrations on line. Legitimate as they are. Makes me angry. Likely because I fear for our Republic.

You?

Fear, like confrontation need not be toxic or embarrassing.

Stay safe. Leave them tables for the help. We got more and bigger fish to fry.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Arrested and immediately released - juveniles, mostly. Feds won't bother prosecuting in Federal court, State's Atty won't prosecute either. The few who do, get a plea deal, time served and...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom