• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Who is bugging out with you? The lone survivor is the minority here. Many of us have a family we live with or at least family close by. How do these people fit into your bug out plans?

For those with families, consider how smoothly it went the last time you left for a road trip to travel anywhere for more than one night. During this planned event that you had time to prepare for, was there any stress involved? Did you forget anything? What percentage of things that you would want to take during a “bug out” did you take with you?

Do you anticipate any resistance within your family if you decided to bug out? If you have pets, will you take them? Do you have food and water packed for them? For those who say that they will leave their pets behind, this is easier said than done in real life where the kids are crying over leaving Old Yeller to die.

What?

What are you going to take with you? Do you have 3 years’ worth of beans in your bomb shelter, but no food packed to go with you should you leave? Are your water stores portable? How much water can you carry in your vehicle? Is that water for drinking, sanitation, and cooking? Of course you will want to take firearms with you to protect what you have. Which of your guns would you take and how much ammo? Would you keep it hidden so that people could not see it when the vehicle was parked, or during a checkpoint? But if you do that, then it will be harder to get to if you need it.
    Since you are leaving your home behind, are you bringing another form of shelter with you in case you don’t make it to where you are going? Or do you plan to just hunker down in your vehicle? Even if that is the case, do you have sleeping bags to keep you warm? You obviously would not want to risk poisoning and wasting gas by leaving the vehicle running. Speaking of gas, do you keep your tank full all the time, or do you plan on filling up on your way out of town along with everyone else? If your vehicle does break down or run out of gas, is your gear packed in such a way that would make carrying easy? Under what circumstances would you leave your vehicle? Knowing you could not carry it all, what would you take? Do you plan on taking a gas can for spare gas? How is that going to fit into your bug out vehicle with your family, pets, food, water, gun, ammo, and sleeping bag?

Where?

When you decide that it is in fact time to bug out, where do you plan to go? On a regular uneventful day, a serious traffic accident can turn the biggest roads into parking lots. If the routes to your retreat are impassable, what are you going to do? At this point you may notice the other people around you that have not prepared at all, but are fleeing none the less, have taken notice of the large amount of things you have in and on your vehicle. Those things are not just anything; they are the items that after careful thought and deliberation you decided that you would take with you when leaving your home not knowing when, or if you will be able to return. Are you mentally prepared to defend them in front of your family?

When?

What would likely be the straw to break the camel’s back when it comes to deciding if it is time to bug out? If you leave too early, you expose your house to looting early. Not to mention that the earlier you leave the more you need to take with you. If you wait too long, you may be forced out by authorities in a rush. Waiting until the last minute may mean waiting in slow moving evacuation lines in extreme hot or cold temperatures or bad weather.

Why?

What are some things that would force you to consider leaving your home? For most, it would be bad weather such as hurricanes or tornadoes. Then there are other natural disasters that strike with little to no warning like earthquakes and solar flares. How far would you have to be away from these threats before you were safe?

How?

How would you know how long you would be gone? How many days are you prepared for? Was your thought process short term packing things like lighters and bottles of water, or more long term like a fire starter and water filter?

Hopefully after answering all the above questions in addition to all the ones they lead to, you can see how bugging out for most people would be a last resort and extremely difficult even under normal circumstances, much less during one that is life and death surrounded by others trying to survive.

Personally I believe and teach that when available the best option is always to stay put and shelter in place.
    In future posts we will talk about options when staying put is not an option as well as the basic gear and skills you need to have and share with your family.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Personally I believe and teach that when available the best option is always to stay put and shelter in place.
    In future posts we will talk about options when staying put is not an option as well as the basic gear and skills you need to have and share with your family.

Good post.

I personally believe that unless you have a destination to go to, vacation home, relatives, cabin, AND you can leave early enough to beat the masses your best options is to stay put.

Katrina was a good example of what will happen if you count on the Government to take care of you. Pets? Nope, no room at the inn. Firearms? Fuggetaboutit.

I think even if you are planning on making your own way .gov is going to have other plans for you. And those plans don't include personal firearms, caches of food, personal vehicles and fuel.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I plan to stand my ground. I would only be forced out by fire. If forced out it is just the wife and I. Of course I would take my pets. They are my babies.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    These are good points. However, bugging out because of a non natural disaster will BE a disaster.

IMO, forget about Solar Flares. Most electrical items including the grid are NOT protected. If you're worried about Solar Flares, figure out how to get the basics and survive without electricity.

Social unrest? Forget about leaving major cities. Depending on the circumstances, you could make it to your destination, or you won't make it 50 miles.

Military action? Forget about it. This country was founded on military action and violence. The folks in charge do not care about you. The military they're in charge of is VERY well trained. If they want you kept put, you'll be kept put...one way or another.

Fact is, if things get to a point of grid down or social unrest, you have 2 options.

1. Leave for your retreat when it starts. Most people won't realize there's an issue that won't be resolved, until it's too late to get out of it. After about 3 - 4 days, folks will KNOW there's a problem. Getting out on day 2 is about the best you can do short of already living in a bugout location.

2. Strap in and do the best you can.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I absolutely agree, never understood all of the bug/bail out talk. Why leave the safety of my well prepared home?
    Take the high ground and get to work, that's my plan.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    hope to have woods near by to poach deer...trying to bug out wont get you far when the roads are blocked with vehicles/ and or you run out of gas

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    bugged out 11 years ago. Running stream and large stocked lake within 500', off the beaten path with single bridge road access for miles, surrounded by farmland and hundreds of acres of woods, good neighbors of the same spirit and will who are always learning and thinking.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I have a Get Home bag, not a Bug Out bag.

If I do have to leave, I have a place in the middle of nowhere I can go to. It's a few hours away, so that might be problematic...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    bugged out 11 years ago. Running stream and large stocked lake within 500', off the beaten path with single bridge road access for miles, surrounded by farmland and hundreds of acres of woods, good neighbors of the same spirit and will who are always learning and thinking.

I'm bugging out back to my home state of Idaho...in AUG...:D

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Sanitation and water collection is an overlooked topic if sheltering in place. More so in a townhouse area where you are surrounded by idiots who would crap where they/you sleep. Do you install an anti-backup valve in the line so you won't be forced out of your shelter? Post hole/slit trench, offsite collection when the emergency is over. Lots of info on what to store, not so much on this.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Yeah I dont get the bug out situation.

I could be wrong...but I think in a SHTF situation you'll likely need to survive with your community/neighborhood.

This lone wolf non sense is silly. You and your wife/kids are going to make it to your magic hiding spot and do what exactly?

That's why I find it important to be in an area with like minded people.

The Amish will survive that's for sure. Model your survival plan (menus beating the wife/kids) towards what they do. They live how it really will be in a SHTF situation.

I'm worried about having a 7-14 day plan for my family. Beyond that you'll be looking outward for help...not matter how many cans of beans you have stock piled.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    trying to bug out wont get you far when the roads are blocked with vehicles/ and or you run out of gas

This is the real sticking point for me. You can take a small dirt bike and a little bit of stuff and probably be pretty mobile, but you can't carry much stuff.

You can take a large truck/4x4 but even if you travel off road, you will need to cross a road at some point. What do you do if the road is completely clogged with disabled or abandoned(sp?) vehicles? I suppose you could get a winch or brush guard and push/pull vehicles out of the way.

stiffin71

May 3, 2012
    Invisible in plain sight
    Bug out

Well I am in the cabin in the Mountains already, trout creek in the front yard, genorator, 250 gallon fuel depot and own a decent amount of fire power, own a 4dr 4x4 jeep, pitbull and a nieghborhood full of gun nuts and have already began discussing the what if's in the event of some EVENT that would call for us to ban together and fight.

Nov 2, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    I think one of the most important skills to learn is starting a fire without matches or lighter. You can find water, and food all around you but without fire to sanatize or cook you will be sick within a week and dead within two.

NakedSnowman

Jul 14, 2009
    The only reason you should Bug Out (BO) is because where you are located is no longer safe to stay. Ex: radiation, chemical, fire, flood, etc.

The last time I BO was during a major snow storm. We lost electricity which means we lost heat. With a newborn baby in the home, no sign of the electricity coming back on any time soon, the house dropping to 50 degrees VERY quickly (old house w/ poor insulation) and not having a secondary form of heat we decided to BO to a family members home that has solar electricity, natural gas heat, plenty of room, and plenty of entertainment. In our situation, we deemed it in our best interest to BO. The down side you ask? It literally took me HOURS to pack the 4x4 family truck-ster. From that point on I decided to be prepared. First step, I bought secondary heat for the home.

I have just about everything I need to BO in a dedicated staging area. There are only a few items not in that staging area; they will not be forgotten. It takes less than 10 minutes (practiced and timed) to load the wife, kids, dog and gear into the vehicle without rushing (walking pace). Everything is modular and works with gear already stored in the vehicle(s) and every day gear.

Our gear is set up for motor vehicle travel. If necessary the gear is color coded and modular enough to be slimmed down to bicycle travel in seconds. It can be further slimmed down to foot travel (in seconds). The color coding is easy enough for the wife to understand even under extreme stress and in poor lighting. Gear is worthless if you don’t understand how to use it. Yes the wife and I practice with our gear.

If we Bug In (BI) the normal day to day supplies are already in the home. If we require more supplies, we have our gear in the dedicated staging area. It’s entertaining to think about zombies; the reality is the first few hours of any crisis situation will not be far from that of the first few hours of the zombie apocalypse. Panic kills. You can “what if” until the cows come home; it’s best to prepare for reality and actual threats. Obviously leaving a home due to the electrical grid being temporarily down wasn’t a major crisis situation, but for me it was a reality and I learned a LOT from it. Will I ever have to BO again? I don’t know. I can think of a million reasons to BO. I can think of another million to BI. Your best bet is to be prepared, and it doesn’t cost a fortune to be prepared for localized emergencies which require you to BI/BO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom