• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfejp

Apr 8, 2011
    Waldorf
    Went to the range with my son at Fred’s yesterday, very expensive but nice. For a box of 45 ACP ,9mm, 1 set of hearing protection, and 1 set of eye protection $101.00. If I would have gone to the NRA range it would have cost me $28.00. I have no complaint’s except for the cost, the customer service was great, the facility was nice only if I could have brought my own ammo it would have been easier on the pockets.

rotag

Mar 9, 2012
    pasadena
    MSAR is new, but be prepared to wait.....also, the lack of range rules is a bit concerning, people banging off rounds as fast as they can pull a trigger. I went this weekend, and will not be going back anytime soon......

Watkins87

Jun 4, 2012
    Fort Washington, MD.
    I've been to Fred's once as well...... PRICEY IT IS..... I spent $120 for an Hour..... I hated myself for making such decisions. MSAR is cheaper but the Wait can kill....Myrtle Grove in Waldorf/La Plata I love....just have to take the chances of the other shooters being responsible and mature (which in my 5 times Ive been, experience has been great)

wolfejp

Apr 8, 2011
    Waldorf
    Yea I went to MSAR once and I was not happy with the lack of range rules either and the wait was ridiculous. I enjoy going to the NRA range the wait is never too long and rules are enforced it’s just a long drive.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Never been to Fred's range - don't plan on going.

The last time I went to Myrtle Grove - back in '82 or '83. Not going back, thank you very much!! (Don't need/want a firearm pointed at/shot at me!)

MSAR - I haven't been in that facility since the late '80s. They wanted $3.00 per 100 primers, then. (Everyone else had primers for 99¢/100!)

Just a thought . . . .
    Join SCSC and use their indoor range.
    Price of membership is reasonable. Lots of good people.
    Nice range.

Oriolesfan93p

Jan 5, 2013
    Richardson, TX
    The problem with MSAR is that after paying the extra $5 and the cost of the gas getting there, Freds price for ammo difference over replenishing my supply that I used is not THAT bad, depending on how much I shoot. A box of .45 is $27 per and if you have your eyes and ears already, which you should, then the ammo is just a bit overpriced, which is offset by savings on gas and range fee. Once again it depends on how much you wind up shooting. They do limit you to an hour, and I was thinking of going to MSAR to shoot my .22 when I get to pick it up just because I can shoot as long as I want.

Personally I'd rather go to MG if I can, but with the hours I have to take a day off to get on the range as weekends are just impossible with the weather warming up.

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I am surprised Fred's has enough ammo to enforce the rule that you have to buy ammo from them. I was in there maybe a month ago and they had one box of .22 and only a few 9mm. They .22 was suck junk they said the rental guns would not even shoot it. Are they limiting how many boxes you can buy to shoot? I know they were limiting ammo on the other side in the store.

Oriolesfan93p

Jan 5, 2013
    Richardson, TX
    They aren't limiting how much you can buy to shoot at the range, but when they get in bricks of .22 they are putting it into 50ct baggies and those are WAY overpriced IMHO at $10 per

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    That is funny. So you don't even know what ammo you are getting or if it will cycle through your gun. I think they call them dime bags on the street. Funny thing is both $10. :lol2:

Oriolesfan93p

Jan 5, 2013
    Richardson, TX
    That is funny. So you don't even know what ammo you are getting or if it will cycle through your gun. I think they call them dime bags on the street. Funny thing is both $10. :lol2:

If I recall what I overheard correctly then they mark on the bag what they are, but yeah. I wasn't surprised actually, besides by the price, bulk .22 is easier to find than the smaller bricks.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I went to Fred's for ammo and ... hold on there's some people on my lawn .....

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I believe Darwin took care most of the folks who used to visit Myrtle Grove.

It's been pretty good the last two years I've been going there. Although, I've had my share of "teaching moments." Fortunately, the noobs take it seriously, once you inform them of the do's and dont's.

Reminds me of why everyone should carry a gun. It's amazing how polite, tactful and receptive people are when everyone is armed.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    MSAR is new, but be prepared to wait.....also, the lack of range rules is a bit concerning, people banging off rounds as fast as they can pull a trigger. I went this weekend, and will not be going back anytime soon......

That's nothing. At the old place, I was shooting in lane 9, and the guys to my left in lane 8 fire a shot at their target like he should and about a 30 gr chunk of lead from their .40 S&W round got sheared off by the trap and came right back and struck me just inside and above my right elbow joint and broke the skin over my right biceps. Hot lead. YOWEEEeeee. That was the only discharge at that instant, so I was sure that's where it came from.

I grabbed in out in a flash and tossed it to them. I was decent about it because hey, it's not their fault or anything like that. What floored me was one guy's response, which I'll never forget. He said "that usually happens on lane 2." USUALLY?! Are you kidding me? I forgot to ask when I was at the NRA range a few weeks later what the acceptable rate of return fire is. I think it's ZERO!

I left the firing line and reported the incident to the folks at the front desk. You'd have though I was reporting stubbing my toe or something. They asked if I wanted to change lanes! I instantly got the hell out of there. Kept the lead and cell phone photos as momentos. Never went back.
    :mad54:

rotag

Mar 9, 2012
    pasadena
    That's nothing. At the old place, I was shooting in lane 9, and the guys to my left in lane 8 fire a shot at their target like he should and about a 30 gr chunk of lead from their .40 S&W round got sheared off by the trap and came right back and struck me just inside and above my right elbow joint and broke the skin over my right biceps. Hot lead. YOWEEEeeee. That was the only discharge at that instant, so I was sure that's where it came from.

I grabbed in out in a flash and tossed it to them. I was decent about it because hey, it's not their fault or anything like that. What floored me was one guy's response, which I'll never forget. He said "that usually happens on lane 2." USUALLY?! Are you kidding me? I forgot to ask when I was at the NRA range a few weeks later what the acceptable rate of return fire is. I think it's ZERO!

I left the firing line and reported the incident to the folks at the front desk. You'd have though I was reporting stubbing my toe or something. They asked if I wanted to change lanes! I instantly got the hell out of there. Kept the lead and cell phone photos as momentos. Never went back.
    :mad54:

I had heard stories about the old range from a few guys I work with. After reading about the new range and our club was having some maintenance (range closed), we figured we would go and check out the new place. While the people working there were courteous, I am used to some range rules and none were given, they didn't even check to see what firearms we had (not unheard of, but I am used to having the range check).
    When your noise canceling ear phones are constantly on and you cant get a work in edgewise to your shooting partner (and there are only 4 other lanes) it's a little ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom