master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    017.jpg

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I see alot of people with these wsars's i thought they were regarded as lower level stuff. Is that only because of the finish?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I see alot of people with these wsars's i thought they were regarded as lower level stuff. Is that only because of the finish?

Reasons for low quality are:

-Canted sights
    -Magwells sometimes not properly modified for hi-cap mags
    -No receiver dimples to cut down on production time making them less authentic
    -stencil markings are extremely crude

However a huge plus is that they use original chrome-lined barrels which guarantee longevity and durability over U.S. barrels. Also their 10/63 models are put together from ex-Romanian military AK's. Henderson Defense in Nevada certifies the ones they get have zero issues so I would only buy a WASR from them if I wanted one.

I would recommend a WASR for AK newbies because it is a rifle that can be abused the most since it is generally crude in appearance and a bargain for those who want some semblance of quality but on a budget. They also can come with a lot of accessories to start off an AK newbie (sling, bayonet, oiling bottle, mags, etc.) Since they are mil-spec to a degree one can always swap out furniture, parts, and do metal coating jobs to make it look nice if one gets tired of the crude appearance. Look on the AK forums (including previous posts in this thread) and you will see people trick out their WASR's in varying degrees.

BTW ill add my AK pics to the thread once I get my AK affairs in order.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

About half of the Romy AK's I handle shouldnt have left the factory. Between function issues and canted sights they have a good bit of problems. If you get a good one they will be just fine, getting a good one is the "gamble"

I would own one if I could buy ten and pick one. In the past about 2/3 were so bad when they were brought in for problems that I wouldnt accept them for service.

The Romanian Draco Project Im building have similar failure issues. Over 70% dont meet my specs and have been retuned for replacements.

EDIT: Scott beat me to it.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    About half of the Romy AK's I handle shouldnt have left the factory. Between function issues and canted sights they have a good bit of problems. If you get a good one they will be just fine, getting a good one is the "gamble"

I would own one if I could buy ten and pick one. In the past about 2/3 were so bad when they were brought in for problems that I wouldnt accept them for service.

The Romanian Draco Project Im building have similar failure issues. Over 70% dont meet my specs and have been retuned for replacements.

EDIT: Scott beat me to it.

Nah your technical aspects are extremely important too. My spiel is for okay WASR's plus you are the AK master :D.

11Bravo

NRA Lifer
    Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona the land of the FREE
    Reasons for low quality are:

-Canted sights
    -Magwells sometimes not properly modified for hi-cap mags
    -No receiver dimples to cut down on production time making them less authentic
    -stencil markings are extremely crude

However a huge plus is that they use original chrome-lined barrels which guarantee longevity and durability over U.S. barrels. Also their 10/63 models are put together from ex-Romanian military AK's. Henderson Defense in Nevada certifies the ones they get have zero issues so I would only buy a WASR from them if I wanted one.

I would recommend a WASR for AK newbies because it is a rifle that can be abused the most since it is generally crude in appearance and a bargain for those who want some semblance of quality but on a budget. They also can come with a lot of accessories to start off an AK newbie (sling, bayonet, oiling bottle, mags, etc.) Since they are mil-spec to a degree one can always swap out furniture, parts, and do metal coating jobs to make it look nice if one gets tired of the crude appearance. Look on the AK forums (including previous posts in this thread) and you will see people trick out their WASR's in varying degrees.

BTW ill add my AK pics to the thread once I get my AK affairs in order.

There are different versions of the WASR, All mine are the 10/63 G series. They all have dimpled mag wells and everything is tight. I personally have never gotten one with ANY issues. None of the sights are canted either. I know that their are lower end WASRs though that do have all these issues but these WASRs will just say 10/63 the 10/63G are much higher quality.

As of 2008, there are GP WASR-10/63 rifles which are being made from demilled military rifles. Look for a triangle with arrow (some only have a triangle) on the front trunnion. Quality is much better with these."

The "G" models are WASR's that are made from the demilled Romanian National Guard's rifle's, they are AK's that are made to be semi-automatic only. They will have the "G" scribed in the left side of the front trunnion

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I dont know much about ak47's other then the fact I want to buy one. I have a buddy who I work with who has a numbers matching 1959 Russian ak47 with bayonet that has never been fired..It is perfect. What would be a good price to offer? sorry no pictures

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I dont know much about ak47's other then the fact I want to buy one. I have a buddy who I work with who has a numbers matching 1959 Russian ak47 with bayonet that has never been fired..It is perfect. What would be a good price to offer? sorry no pictures

If it was a 1959 Russian it would be in a museum or collectors vault. If it is what you say it is its worth tens of thousands of dollars (registered NFA).

Theres not many russian AK's in the country unless they are recent Saiga Imports. The US didnt even start seeing AK's imported till the late 70's and they were Mainly Egyptian AK's.

Beware of what he is selling with the description given.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There are different versions of the WASR, All mine are the 10/63 G series. They all have dimpled mag wells and everything is tight. I personally have never gotten one with ANY issues. None of the sights are canted either. I know that their are lower end WASRs though that do have all these issues but these WASRs will just say 10/63 the 10/63G are much higher quality.

As of 2008, there are GP WASR-10/63 rifles which are being made from demilled military rifles. Look for a triangle with arrow (some only have a triangle) on the front trunnion. Quality is much better with these."

The "G" models are WASR's that are made from the demilled Romanian National Guard's rifle's, they are AK's that are made to be semi-automatic only. They will have the "G" scribed in the left side of the front trunnion

There are some decent WASR10's out there, but the WASR10's dont and never have had receiver dimples. The 2 in your picture dont either. Romy SAR rifles had dimples, they were before the WASR10's.

You are correct about many Romy AK's being of military origin, but that does not equate to a quality build, just that the parts were made to a militray standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom