The most fun I ever had shooting a pistol...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    I know I lead a boring life but I bought a 1950's High Standard sport king semi-auto .22 with a short and long barrel and it arrived a few days ago.

I took it to On Target and I had more fun shooting that gun then I ever have - it was smooth worked well and I have never had so many tight groupings in a bullseye - I know its only a .22 but it is deadly accurate.

Anyone else own these guns?

Last edited:

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I have a revolver model R103 built in 1963, it's very accurate but the DA trigger is a bit heavy. I bought several 6" .22 revolvers which are C$R last year, still need. H&R Sportsman model 999 though.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    I know I lead a boring life but I bought a 1950's High Standard .22 with a short and long barrel and it arrived a few days ago.

I took it to On Target and I had more fun shooting that gun then I ever have - it was smooth worked well and I have never had so many tight groupings in a bullseye - I know its only a .22 but it is deadly accurate.

Anyone else own these guns?

I do not, but I have looked at some 50's/early 60's era High Standards for target shooting. They sound like amazing shooters. Which type did you get?

mikebalt

Nov 4, 2014
    Catonsville, MD
    Neither - according to the site referenced above and serial...

Lever Name Models

Fourth design models evolving from the lever letter series designs with slight changes. This series followed the precedent of naming the models instead of utilizing letters set by the Olympic (G-O). The up scale models, Supermatic and Olympic, incorporated a rib dovetailed to the top of the barrel and a dovetail slot on the bottom of the barrel for mounting balance weights. This series continued the breach face shrouded by the slide. Adjustable sight models continued to use the Davis sight. This series produced 1951 to 1953. The serial number ranges are best estimates as of the revision date.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Neither - according to the site referenced above and serial...

Lever Name Models

Fourth design models evolving from the lever letter series designs with slight changes. This series followed the precedent of naming the models instead of utilizing letters set by the Olympic (G-O). The up scale models, Supermatic and Olympic, incorporated a rib dovetailed to the top of the barrel and a dovetail slot on the bottom of the barrel for mounting balance weights. This series continued the breach face shrouded by the slide. Adjustable sight models continued to use the Davis sight. This series produced 1951 to 1953. The serial number ranges are best estimates as of the revision date.

Lever Name.....Even Better!

Here are my Sports Kings from a few different series.

Attachments

• SK-1.jpg
      SK-1.jpg
      37.7 KB · Views: 251
    • SK-2.jpg
      SK-2.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 251
    • SK-3.jpg
      SK-3.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 252

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I have a Victor. Really nice pistol.

I took it to the range Friday. Very ammo sensitive. It only likes various Eley and Wolf Match.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Thanks. I love to shoot that gun. Very accurate. It just fits my hand great and has very nice balance.

I've never shot a Victor. Nice gun! It looks like a tack driver.

Thanks

It is a great shooter. A little ammo sensitive. Much more accurate than I am.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I shot a Supermatic years ago and it was an amazing pistol, just a joy to shoot.

A few years later I bought a Ruger, and was horribly disappointed.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Always wondered about a Victor too. Love my 80s vintage Citation, one of the last built by HS before they closed their doors forever. A tragic loss to the firearms industry.
    The R103 Sentinel is the least expensive firearm I ever got. My boss told me his family had inherited a Colt 1908 .380 Pocket Hammerless from a deceased Aunt and I arranged to purchase it from them. They surprised me by throwing in the Sentinel for free as they wanted to remove all firearms from a grandkid filled house. Worked for me! Literally unfired with no cylinder drag line whatsoever.
    One day I'll get that HS "space gun", my ultimate HS dream.

Attachments

• IMGP7534.JPG
      IMGP7534.JPG
      50.9 KB · Views: 121
    • img_5213.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      img_5213.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 116

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    BTW, does anyone own or have experience with one of the Mitchell HS pistols? All the reports I've ever seen were less than positive. A shame. At the time they took up production I had hopes that HS would be reborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom