The King of Knots! Most important knot you should know.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Most important knots to learn (you can pic more than one)

• Anchor bend

Votes: 5 2.7%
    • Bachmann knot

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Bowline loop

Votes: 135 71.8%
    • Butterfly knot

Votes: 5 2.7%
    • Cleat hitch

Votes: 12 6.4%
    • Clove hitch

Votes: 62 33.0%
    • Cow hitch

Votes: 1 0.5%
    • Constrictor knot

Votes: 3 1.6%
    • Double fisherman

Votes: 13 6.9%
    • Half Hitch

Votes: 49 26.1%
    • Honda knot (lasso)

• Pile Hitch

• Running Bowline

Votes: 14 7.4%
    • Sheeps Shank

Votes: 8 4.3%
    • Sheets bend

Votes: 14 7.4%
    • Square Knot

Votes: 74 39.4%
    • Tautline hitch

Votes: 31 16.5%
    • Tautline to rope

Votes: 4 2.1%
    • Transom Knot

Votes: 4 2.1%
    • Yosemite Bowline

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I understand the spirit of the survey question and the answers so far, but I just want to make the point that the only way you can be forced to settle with only using one knot is if you only know one knot. The rope is the thing you possess. Knots are techniques; knowledge that cannot be taken away from you. I would never limit myself to using only one knot. They are like tools and each one excels in it's place.

Always fun to sit around with a couple of people and a piece of cord and teach each other different knots. Hard part is remembering them all.:lol2:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    What he said.

I feel like the Figure 8 is more versatile...you can use it not just to tie a rope to something, you can also use it to splice ends of rope together. It's also a lot more secure...the more you pull on any of the ends, the tighter the knot gets.

That's also its greatest disadvantage.

That sounds a lot like one of my favorite knots, and specifically for securing sheets to the clew of a sail ... the Buntline Hitch. It slides up the standing part until it forms a compact knot at the clew ring. Essentially it constricts on itself and tightens as force is applied. That's the main reason it was used to secure the "Bunt" on sailing ships. Even with a slatting sail, it wouldn't shake itself loose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buntline_hitch

buntline-hitch.jpg

JoeR

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My mistake, I definitely should have had the venerable figure 8 knot on this list.

While researching it, I discovered a huge controversy regarding the Bowline knot; here's an article that tells the story well: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/Not-the-Knot.html

To summarize, the Bowline knot is great, but according to the article above almost every year a climber gets killed using that knot. The Figure 8 knot is less complicated and apparently a much better knot because it can be more easily double checked that it is correct and is much more secure. The Figure 8 knot is a cinching knot, so it is also much more difficult to take apart.

So if you just need a quick knot to tie a rope around a tree or boulder the Bowline will be easier to remove. The Figure 8 knot is more secure, simpler, but harder to remove.

figure_eight-a.jpg

Only problem is, that figure-8 is tied wrong. The tag end should never cross over the running line anywhere in the knot. Just being picky...my life has depended on that knot many times too.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Only problem is, that figure-8 is tied wrong. The tag end should never cross over the running line anywhere in the knot. Just being picky...my life has depended on that knot many times too.

Ouch!

So my discovery with the original 'King of Knots' was busted when I learned that it was possible to screw it up, and cost (few) climbers their lives when they did it wrong.

If you are saying the figure 8 has a similar 'fatal flaw', please explain.

Otherwise, at this point I believe the 8 is superior.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The bowline can be untied after being under a tremendous amount of strain. It is one of the knots I tie most often (but I don't climb lol). That said, I chose several, including the figure 8. Growing up sailing, you need to learn the basic knots and they will serve you well through life!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ouch!

So my discovery with the original 'King of Knots' was busted when I learned that it was possible to screw it up, and cost (few) climbers their lives when they did it wrong.

If you are saying the figure 8 has a similar 'fatal flaw', please explain.

Otherwise, at this point I believe the 8 is superior.

Hard to explain but, here goes...
    Where the diagram shows the tag end start back up through the 'bunny hole' it is actually going up the wrong side(where it doubles back up through the knot). Properly tied, the trace line runs in parallel to the original figure eight, never crossing it throughout the process. When starting the retrace, start on the 'outside' of the bunny hole. It doesn't look right at first but, soon you'll realize it's the only way this knot is tied correctly, AFAIK. Just remember, the lines in this knot must never cross each other.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hard to explain but, here goes...
    Where the diagram shows the tag end start back up through the 'bunny hole' it is actually going up the wrong side(where it doubles back up through the knot). Properly tied, the trace line runs in parallel to the original figure eight, never crossing it throughout the process. When starting the retrace, start on the 'outside' of the bunny hole. It doesn't look right at first but, soon you'll realize it's the only way this knot is tied correctly, AFAIK. Just remember, the lines in this knot must never cross each other.

You sound like you know what you are talking about, so I want to be sure I understand you correctly. This could be important as I've read climbers have died due to improperly tied bowline and figure 8 knots. Are you referring to the figure 8 bend, variation of the figure 8 knot I picture above?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure-eight_knot

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You sound like you know what you are talking about, so I want to be sure I understand you correctly. This could be important as I've read climbers have died due to improperly tied bowline and figure 8 knots. Are you referring to the figure 8 bend, variation of the figure 8 knot I picture above?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure-eight_knot

No. Talking about the knot shown in your diagram. Where the red line crosses the rope in the center of the knot is the bad part. The two parallel lines in the knot should never cross over one an other.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    On other knots, those kind of details are important, but the rethreaded 8 is incredibly secure. Plus, the point shown in the diagram is the very tail end of the knot. It would be ok either way, especially with a backup fisherman on the loose tail. You can easily try this with body weight and I don't think it will budge at all.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    No. Talking about the knot shown in your diagram. Where the red line crosses the rope in the center of the knot is the bad part. The two parallel lines in the knot should never cross over one an other.

Ok, I get it now... that makes perfect sense.

Figure 3 is shown from the opposite side, they should have shown it from the 'front' as pictured in figure 2.

Thank you for pointing out this discrepancy, I will make sure I practice it the way you described.

As letmeoutpax said, I bet its still super strong; and for anything but actually climbing, it's probably ok. But why learn it the wrong way, I'll memorize it the way you explained.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup: Try starting the up-turn to the left instead of the right(as shown in the diagram). It seems awkward at first but, we found it easier to tie it properly that way. I have to admit, though, it's been a while since I've tied one.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    That sounds a lot like one of my favorite knots, and specifically for securing sheets to the clew of a sail ... the Buntline Hitch. It slides up the standing part until it forms a compact knot at the clew ring. Essentially it constricts on itself and tightens as force is applied. That's the main reason it was used to secure the "Bunt" on sailing ships. Even with a slatting sail, it wouldn't shake itself loose.

JoeR

But how hard is it to take out? I don't have any issues taking my bowlines out at the end of the season.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Any tar worth his salt keeps a marlin spike handy. Argh!;)

I agree. There's no doubt a Buntline Hitch can be very hard to take apart after the line has taken a set. After a season, I would work it apart with a marlinspike. For racing headsails where the sheets are usually only attached for a day, the knot can be flexed enough to work slack into it...and then untied. Besides sheets, I've also used it to attach halyards to locking shackles.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom