• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    well the 2a community seems like it will eat its own. no matter the subject we dont seem to get discussion, we get arguing, which can be productive, then personal attacks then name calling. we are the most separated, clicky group around.

the first thing we need is for all of the 2a community to get involved with the upcoming election and get out and vote and get everyone you know out to vote. then we can worry about how we should carry. if we dont have any luck this election cycle it probably wont matter anyway. most marylanders will just be thinking about carrying in their home state.

Except for the fact that these people who carry around long guns in public are causing more damage to the 2nd amendment than most people in the anti 2a crowd could ever hope to.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Except for the fact that these people who carry around long guns in public are causing more damage to the 2nd amendment than most people in the anti 2a crowd could ever hope to.

they are not damaging the 2nd amendment. thats our constitutional, God given right. they may well be damaging the already skewed opinion of weak minded liberals or antis or moms against everything or any of the state schooled pussified marylanders that are victims of the education they have received.

i dont personally think carrying an ak in food lion while grocery shopping is a good idea but its supposed to be legal in md.

like i said, we need to win this election

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    i'm a little shocked at some here. there are ooodles and ooodles of examples of missing the target with a handgun. nearly all of us, sorry, would miss the bad guy in self defense and would need multiple shots. adrenalin is wacky that way. i am willing to bet 2 things: 1) none would miss if using an ebr and 2) pretty sure everyone would behave just a little more if an ebr were in the vicinity. just saying. example: the lady cop during the ft hood shooting emptied her magazine and missed from 7 yards.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010

No, the people doing damage to the second amendment are the people that say that people SHOULDN'T carry long arms in public. That's what the second amendment is FOR. All of a sudden bear isn't okay when you don't like it?

The more you cry about how it's not normal and blah blah alarming to other people the more it reinforces to everybody else that it ISN'T normal and that they SHOULD be scared when somebody is doing it. YOU are the ones making THEIR work counterproductive.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I think that these people do it for shock value. They are basically getting into antis faces. This is why the stores push back. I support CCW and open carry of pistols but not long guns. I don't think the government should prohibit it, but private businesses should be well within their right.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    OCTX stopped the practice of LGOC in private buisnesses back in May, lost the PR battle to the media after only a couple months, and haven't seen any new stories since. Appears they formed a new strategy to fight for lawful handgun open carry, not sure why we keep beating on each other over it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'd love to be able to OC an AR pistol sometimes. Not as obnoxious.

Guy at my club carries a Serbu shorty in a drop holster, looks both impractical and badass, could be mistaken for a mall ninja if not for jeans and a nice collared shirt. Thing is he is a farmer with limited mobility in his left arm, a holstered 12ga able to be fired with 1 hand fits him very well, and is great at dispatching pets out to 25 yards or so with cheap managed recoil birdshot.

Recoil45

Jul 29, 2011
    NY
    they are not damaging the 2nd amendment. thats our constitutional,

like i said, we need to win this election

They certainly are. They are creating a whole new group of people who will vote against guns in upcoming elections. Parents who don't own and use guns will never feel safe around groups of people who carry long guns into family restaurants and food stores. These people will vote and we will lose.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    They certainly are. They are creating a whole new group of people who will vote against guns in upcoming elections. Parents who don't own and use guns will never feel safe around groups of people who carry long guns into family restaurants and food stores. These people will vote and we will lose.

i understand your point but i believe those people are already against us because of how we are portrayed on the news and what they are taught in school. i dont think carrying my ar in a grocery store is cool but here its legal and i understand the point people who do that are making.

the constitution and the bill of rights are sacred to me and i will defend those documents with my life if necessary. maybe those people will vote against the bill of rights and the constitution but i dont even know how that is put up for a vote. hopefully if that ever happens i will be long gone by then.

its a shame so many people are pussies in this country now. i remember a day when it was different. everyone had guns in the back windows of their trucks all the time. seeing someone carrying a gun was an everyday site and caused no ruckus. we were allowed to take our guns to school as long as we left them in the truck so we could go hunting in the evenings. shit, this country is starting to just plain suck and i can hardly stand the smell anymore.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    So who here really believes that it's perfectly OK to carry a slung AR15 into a restaurant or a grocery store?

Simple answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Very few places in the US are ready to accept it, so doing so is unwise at this time. I do not agree with the way some folks wish to force the issue and do not misconstrue my comments as an endorsement of their actions, but I do understand their message. I grew up in a rural area out west where farmers/ranchers would regularly walk into stores/shops/bars (yes bars) openly wearing a side arm, sometimes with a long gun in hand as well. Nobody gave them a second look or concern. It was natural and ordinary. These people were trusted members of society and nobody doubted their skills (or safety) with these tools in hand.

Do you really need a rifle over a hand gun? Do you really need a corvette to go to the store? Do you need a 3/4 ton truck to go pick up a pizza? It is not about what you really need, but what you have and what you are comfortable with.

I'm all for universal concealed carry of handguns. Not only is it a right...I feel it's a responsibility.

I just CANNOT seem to get my head around the idea of people walking down a supermarket aisle with an AR15. I can't see the self-defense scenario that justifies this.

So, if self defense is a Right and a responsibility, why should it be limited to concealed carry only? Some people are not "built" for good/easy CCW, should they be excluded? Some people trust their capabilities with long gun over a hand gun, some have physical limitations. Some just have a preference. Should their Right/responsibility be diminished because others are uncomfortable? I'm sure Rosa Parks made folks uncomfortable when chose a seat at the front of the bus. Your Rights do not get restricted because someone feels uncomfortable.

Are they expecting ISIS to capture the local Wal-Mart?? Or are the DHS jack-boots going to swarm down on Arby's and drag them to Gitmo??

Sorry, but this statement is just too damn condescending. I'm sure you can do a quick Google search to find several recent self defense situations that happen in stores, restaurants, etc. Just do a quick review from a few months ago for the two cops shot while eating at a restaurant, then the killers made a quick jaunt to Wally World to end the days activities. Would you also trust your life and safety to the local Mall cops? US Malls are on the top of most terrorist "hit" lists, it is just a matter of time. If you think the .gov will only use late night "no-knock" type methods, you could be in for a rude awakening.

I personally feel open-carry for handguns is a bit unsettling...but I can understand that if an area culturally accepts open-carry, I think I could be all right with it. Maybe my hesitation is just a result of living in MD for too long.

I can even stretch to see maybe if you just got back from a hunt or target-shoot and didn't want to leave your prize rig in the car, if you had it in a slung case and took it into the restaurant with you, fine.

Good, you are realizing that you may have a problem and that your education (institutional brainwashing?) may be suspect!

But why would you ever carry an AR15 or AK47 or any "EBR"-type rifle into a crowded public place, except to make a political statement?

See above.

I just can't see the justification. Maybe if there was a state of emergency and it was Katrina-times with marauding bands of thugs driving around robbing people. But in peace-time, I just can't get my head around it.

Please, if you can, explain to me and help me understand why someone should sling an AR15 into Kroger's.

OK, I just did. So have you now changed your thinking? If not, why? Is your mind open enough to change? Did you really start this post to be enlightened, or did you want to become just another person to condemn long gun carry?

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    Remember this.

If you do or do not choose to carry a firearm over your shoulder and/or concealed.
    Someone will have a issue with it no matter what.

And every time a new law is made another one of our God given rights are taken away from us.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    1 - AR-15 and AKs are not EBR's. Just a nit.

2 - I do not think it is wise to EDC a long gun for several reasons... major considerations include: my perceived need for one, the legality in various places, consideration of how people around me will feel, the chances of being shot by a police officer, and the fact that I would look like a complete and total D-bag. But this is a personal decision for me. I will not presume to make the decision for others, especially when it comes to a constitutional right.

3 - I see some people explaining their opposition in terms of what they think a person "needs" to defend themselves on a daily basis. Fair enough. I'm sure you sincerely hold that belief in good faith... and you are probably right. But realize that you are using the same reasoning employed by Bloomberg when he says that you only "need" 7 rounds, you don't "need" an AR-15, etc... This line of reasoning is dangerous to constitutional rights. What makes your evaluation of "need" more valid than Bloomberg's or Shotgun Joe's? The problem is that you are asking the wrong question. When it comes to constitutional rights, the question is not what is a good idea, what is "needed" or what other people are comfortable with. The question is "what is protected"? If it was any other way, it would be no right at all.

“In the transition to statism, every infringement of human rights has begun with a given right's least attractive practitioners”

― Ayn Rand

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Sometimes you have to eat your own to protect the cause.

I don't understand the logic behind this. In my mind, it's no different from saying that you need to silence people speaking an unpopular message to protect those speaking a popular message. But once you realize that it's only those speaking the unpopular message that need protection, the logical flaw is revealed. You see, the whole point of a "right" is to protect the unpopular practitioner... the popular practictioner doesn't need protection.

That's why first amendment cases are full of neo Nazis, cross burners, flag burners and other similar f**ktards. These people carrying AK's to go get coffee at Starbucks fall into the same category. And yes, they probably do great harm to our cause. BUT, the right can't be defended by only protecting it's popular applications. Otherwise, there is no right at all.

Stunning.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I don't understand the logic behind this. In my mind, it's no different from saying that you need to silence people speaking an unpopular message to protect those speaking a popular message. But once you realize that it's only those speaking the unpopular message that need protection, the logical flaw is revealed. You see, the whole point of a "right" is to protect the unpopular practitioner... the popular practictioner doesn't need protection.

That's why first amendment cases are full of neo Nazis, cross burners, flag burners and other similar f**ktards. These people carrying AK's to go get coffee at Starbucks fall into the same category. And yes, they probably do great harm to our cause. BUT, the right can't be defended by only protecting it's popular applications. Otherwise, there is no right at all.

very well put. many here dont see it. someone doing something legal but unpopular is still legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom