• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    Is there a magic date for looking at used Remingtons? For example, Marlins produced before the merger with Remington are considered to be of a higher quality, is there a similar vintage of 700 that has a higher quality than the new ones? My dad just got a Remington 700 SPS off a guy who won it in a raffle, so I'll be able to go test fire that one next weekend.

I'd wondered the same thing. There's a LOT of internet talk about how badly Remington has fallen off the mark, but very little data. It would be good to know what exactly to avoid.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    My dad just got a brand new 700 SPS off a guy for a song, so I'll get to test it out over Memorial Day once he gets the scope mounted on it. We'll she how it does.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    30-06 with good 180 grain bullets will take Elk with no problem with the right shot placement, recoil is much easier to deal with for practice and you will not tend to flinch.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    My uncle lived in northwest Montana his whole life and hunted with 30-06 exclusively. Mule deer, elk, antelope, coyote. On the other hand, my cousin, a rancher in eastern Montana hunts with a 22-250 exclusively - again, mule deer, elk, antelope, coyotes plus whitetail... right down to prairie dogs. That rifle is in his truck with him 24/7. My personal western hunting rifle is an early 1970's Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom