• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    SCARCQB- no love for the BUIS eh?

I've tried several cheap optics on the the TAR and so far nothing is better than the BUIS that come integrated in the rail. I have not tried any of the top end optics, and at this moment I'm between the M-21 (designed for the gun) and the AimPoint T-1 (super badsaa for any short range rifle). Enjoying this discussion. I plan to shoot the TAR again tomorrow; it moves easily from shoulder to shoulder and getting around corners is a breeze.

I like the BUIS on the Tavor. I can also shoot it well. But it seems a bit fragile. Totally exposed and unprotected. And knowing me.. Its just a matter of time until I snag that onto something or bump calibrate it.

My brother is loaning me a Leupold CQT 1-3 .... I seems like good optic for the Tavor. The darn gun is so new in the American Market that we are forced to experiment and see what really works. DOPE on the optics is still something to get used to. A 3.6" HOB kinda screws up anything learned on the AR platform.

For now, my HD / shtf guns is still my trusty 6920 and a Steyr AUG with the 1.5x optic. If I can find one of those old AUG picatinny / carry handle scopes and mount that on a Tavor, i would be a happy camper.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I do believe that the Mepro will be a perfect height for an absolute co witness with the built in BUIS.

But the same Mepro sight will 1/3 lowe co witness with flattop AR MSRs.

I can confirm this. I have the Mepro 21 on mine and it looks just about perfect for height on the Tavor. No awkward head tilt.

J Quest

Jul 1, 2013
    You can always buy an atv post oct 1st........ But a tavor, you will need to move into a free state.

I was at my LGS today seeing if anything caught my eye as I'm trying to fulfill my **** o'malley list by Oct 1st. As I was talking to the owner about my wait/wish list items the Tavor came up. He told me that the Tavor was not going to be banned come Oct 1st. I'm hoping that is the case since I passed on one twice already since I want a SCAR 16 (which he said wouldn't be banned either) more than I want a Tavor (well I want both...). Is the shop owner wrong? Can anyone verify?

Anyone have more info on whats actually going to be banned as the law itself is rather unclear? I found a list of 80 plus firearms published by some reporter but I'm not sure how inclusive that list is as it seems rather random.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The Tavor is under the length minimums of 29 inches. Therefore it will be banned unless IWI installs a longer muzzle device.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    MDeng,

As usual.. I'm screwed again... Just got called in to report to work. Sometimes an EMP would be nice.

I would appreciate a raincheck for that invite.

You guys have fun.

Please remind lx1x to shoot his Tavor for accuracy. he has no excuse not to do so. LOL

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    MDeng,

As usual.. I'm screwed again... Just got called in to report to work. Sometimes an EMP would be nice.

I would appreciate a raincheck for that invite.

You guys have fun.

Please remind lx1x to shoot his Tavor for accuracy. he has no excuse not to do so. LOL

Only way I roll. ;)

RealtorMatt

I picked up my Tavor last week and have been mulling optics. I am trying to outfit as a good HD rifle and other close range needs.

I am thinking either the aimpoint pro or perhaps an ACOG (TA01nsn or TA31)

Any opinions or experience with either of these on the Tavor?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The TAO1NSN is a useless for CQB. It shines at medium range engagements. unless, you get an ACOG with the Bindon Aiming Feature. That can be used as an occluded eye gunsight. ( similar to the Armson OEG).

For HD... Stick with non- magnified reflex or holographic diffraction sights. magnified optics is slow due to trying to get your eye in that sweet spot called" eye relief". You also do not want to deal with parallax issues for close range work

Mounting a mini red dot on top of magnified optics is an Idea i played with. It made te Height over bore issue much worse. Its like about 6" high. My ballistic calculator will not even calculate with that input. Zero at 25 and hit like 16" high at 100 yards.

I tried the 45 degree sights to backup my scope. Shooting the Tavor gangsta style results in a hot brass facial. Especially with 223 rounds.

IMHO... The perfect optics for te TAR are the Following.
    Eotech 557 w magnifier
    Mepro 21
    Trijicon ACOG, fiber optic bindon aiming feature
    Elcan DR
    Leupold CQT
    IOR bulldog or CQB scope
    Budget minded optics:
    Aimpoint PRO( I wish for a higher mount)
    Burris AR332
    1-4 AR optics( mounted on a riser to attain a correct height, my DMS1 on a riser mount and mediem height rings was okay, but heavy)
    Elcan Red Dot
    Redfield red dot w/ laser
    Eotech 517

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Reading more into the Tavor manual.

It recommends a 50 yard zero using the BUIS. That results in a 50/250 yard zero.

Just remember that it will shoot high at that setting. ( about 6.6" high at 100)

This is okay with combat shooting . Designed for COM or Center of mass hits. For range use. I would really suggest at 75 yard zero. That is a bit more accurate for target shooting. This also applies to red dots or reflex sights.

RealtorMatt

Thanks for the info - I didn't know about the mepro 21, so I just looked into it. This looks like it might be the perfect fit. Amazon even has a picture of it on a Tavor so I could really see how it would look.

I think we might have a winner.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    shot it with scope, off hand.. 15 yards today.. did fairly well (not really an off hand shooter :o).. will have to put on the rest maybe tomorrow and see how it does on steady rest.. :)

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    shot it with scope, off hand.. 15 yards today.. did fairly well (not really an off hand shooter :o).. will have to put on the rest maybe tomorrow and see how it does on steady rest.. :)

15 yards with a high magnification scope? WTF were you smokin......lol

Cmon man... You are suppose to cradle that rifle, wrap yourself around that thing, Israeli 6-point hold.

I did that last week and managed to hit the backstop. If that were a blue whale, i hit it center mass.:D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    15 yards with a high magnification scope? WTF were you smokin......lol

Cmon man... You are suppose to cradle that rifle, wrap yourself around that thing, Israeli 6-point hold.

I did that last week and managed to hit the backstop. If that were a blue whale, i hit it center mass.:D

just making sure its not way off.. :P

now need to shoot it further.. it was set up at 3x anyways.. and was shooting at the pit.. short distance...

maybe tomorrow if i get time after the class.. i'll try to sight it it @ 50 and 75 yards.. :D

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The TAO1NSN is a useless for CQB. It shines at medium range engagments. unless, you get an ACOG with the Bindon Aiming Feature. That can be used as an occluded eye gunsight. ( similar to the Armson OEG).

For HD... Stick with non- magnified reflex or holographic diffraction sights. magnified optics is slow due to trying to get your eye in that sweet spot called" eye relief". You also do not want to deal with parallax issues for close range work

Mounting a mini red dot on top of magnified optics is an Idea i played with. It made te Height over bore issue much worse. Its like about 6" high. My ballistic calculator will not even calculate with that input. Zero at 25 and hit like 16" high at 100 yards.

I tried the 45 degree sights to backup my scope. Shooting the Tavor gangsta style results in a hot brass facial. Especially with 223 rounds.

IMHO... The perfect optics for te TAR are the Following.
    Eotech 557 w magnifier
    Mepro 21
    Trijicon ACOG, fiber optic bindon aiming feature
    Elcan DR
    Leupold CQT
    IOR bulldog or CQB scope
    Budget optics:
    Aimpoint PRO( I wish for a higher mount)
    Burris AR332
    1-4 AR optics( mounted on a riser to attain a correct height)
    Elcan Red Dot
    Redfield red dot w/ laser
    Eotech 517

This is the first time I have heard an Aimpoint PRO called a budget optic.

So far I like the Aimpoint PRO on the rifle and the twist off 3X multiplier gives me the additional range that may be required.

Do to the range we used today serious accuracy testing was put aside. Instead we found out how the Tavor handled while moving. I found the rifle/optic combination handled very well and is surprisingly well balanced.

While advancing on multiple targets I found it easy to shoulder and transition between targets at different ranges. Due to the short range I had removed the 3X multiplier.

I did find the need to add a quality sling to make transition from the rifle to a handgun easy and fluid.

As requested I did check the co-witness of the BUIS and the Aimpoint PRO. It's not perfect and the BUIS is about 1/8 of an inch higher than the Red Dot. I want to check the zero again at a longer range though.

I will say that today's range trip was more fun then a real test. Many of the MDS members were unavailable due to work on family commitments. Maybe we can reschedule with a little more advanced notice and put this rifle through some serious testing.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Anything good that is less than 500 bucks is a good budget Optic. as you can see, i also included the EO517, elcan red dot, CMR etc .. With that list.

Most optics run 1K up.. , 1500 up for the ACOGS,The Elcan cost more than the gun. Combination of red dots/ magnifiers/ mounts can easilly top 1K.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    This is the first time I have heard an Aimpoint PRO called a budget optic.

So far I like the Aimpoint PRO on the rifle and the twist off 3X multiplier gives me the additional range that may be required.

Do to the range we used today serious accuracy testing was put aside. Instead we found out how the Tavor handled while moving. I found the rifle/optic combination handled very well and is surprisingly well balanced.

While advancing on multiple targets I found it easy to shoulder and transition between targets at different ranges. Due to the short range I had removed the 3X multiplier.

I did find the need to add a quality sling to make transition from the rifle to a handgun easy and fluid.

As requested I did check the co-witness of the BUIS and the Aimpoint PRO. It's not perfect and the BUIS is about 1/8 of an inch higher than the Red Dot. I want to check the zero again at a longer range though.

I will say that today's range trip was more fun then a real test. Many of the MDS members were unavailable due to work on family commitments. Maybe we can reschedule with a little more advanced notice and put this rifle through some serious testing.

thats his budget.. mine.. if i cant get it at walmart.. its not budget.. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom