• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    There are a lot of threads around here about thier quality control and customer service. As a dedicated revolver nut, I will not buy one based upon thier reputation.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a couple Tracker .44s and they've been decent so far...definitely not the best out there though.

I also have a PT92 and like it better than my Beretta 92.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    I do not have any experience with their revolvers, but I do own one of their 1911B .45s.

I have shot over 1000 rounds through it, and only had a few malfunctions (was when I was first learning how to shoot pistols - ended up limp wristing, causing some stove pipes/jams)

Since then, using proper form and grip, I have yet to have any problems with it.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    They're not Smith's or Sigs, but they cost quite a bit less.

Several reasons to hate/trash Taurus:

1. It's not an American company
    2. Their guns are less expensive, and quality is good enough to keep people buying, thus making profit margins lower for others in the industry.
    3. Newest models (much like companies like Ruger, or Sigs) sometimes aren't the best thing to buy because all of the bugs haven't been worked-out.
    4. Some of their guns are a little fugly.

I've owned two Taurus guns. One was a PT-92 which was a great gun, but the nickel finish was flecking off in a very tiny area on the edge of the slide (sold it before bothering to send it in for replacement/fixing). I also owned a small .22 belly gun with the flip-up barrel that was also a Beretta knock-off. Both were very good quality, IMHO. I will probably buy one of their .45's some day.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I think the Tracker series are a little better made...at least they seem to be.

I have a Tracker 970 in 22lr that is probably the most awesom revolver I've ever shot. Amazingly accurate and built like a brick.

Many members here have shot it at Delmarva and have agreed.

I suspect I'll shoot out the barrel before anything goes wrong with it. I bought it used about 5 or6 years ago and have 6 or 7 thousand rounds through it I guess.

I agree that the Taurus semiautos seem to be less than reliable for a lot of people. As an RSO, it seems that a large percentage of safety violations I see are due to the malfunctions with Taurus semi's.

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    I have a PT1911 and two of their older 669 4" series 357 revo's (one SS, one Blue). I have also owned (but sold to fund other things) two OSS 24/7's and a 669 6" SS revo. Most of them I've used in IDPA some I have not. The PT1911 has had ~4k rnds, mostly while shooting IDPA. The ambi safety would not stay tight after I detailed stripped the gun and like a lot of 1911's, if it gets to dirty it runs rough. It is one of my two "go-to" guns for shooting IDPA (the other is an M&P Pro 9mm).

The only other problem I've had was with some of the Taurus branded mags for the 24/7 that would not drop free. Taurus replaced those at no cost and quickly.

One of the older 4" revo's need some dressing of rough edges on the pawl and ejector for a smother DA but it functioned fine.

I can't talk to the newer revo's but if I were in the market, I'd not rule them out until I had looked at them in person.

My experience has been Taurus QC is no worse than any other producer with similar volume. Customer service has been good and warranty excellent.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    QC seems to suck...I had a magazine issue 15 yrs back and it took forever for them to replace the magazines.

That being said I hear the Tracker series has a little more attention paid to the products. John Taffin says they are silly accurate. I do kinda like the way they lock up front and rear. That should keep them from ever shooting loose. Only down side in my book is the ported barrel. I don't like them. You will be limited to jacketed ammo only as lead will do bad things in the ports.
    Personally I'd go with a Ruger Redhawk but they are a bit more expensive.
    What kind of hunting will you be doing with it? What optic if any?

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    I also owned a small .22 belly gun with the flip-up barrel that was also a Beretta knock-off. Both were very good quality, IMHO.

You do know that Taurus is a Brazilian company, and they bought Berettas old factory and tools. Once the contract Beretta had with the Brazilian military was up, they just hopped out, and left their crap there - sold it all to Taurus. So that may be why it seems Beretta like - since they got Beretta's old equipment.

*edit* - fixed some mistakes, I thought Taurus got their start from buying Beretta's old stuff - apparently not, they bought the factory/equipment years later.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    You do know that Taurus is a Brazilian company, and they bought Berettas old factory and tools. Once the contract Beretta had with the Brazilian military was up, they just hopped out, and left their crap there - sold it all to Taurus. So that may be why it seems Beretta like - since they got Beretta's old equipment.

*edit* - fixed some mistakes, I thought Taurus got their start from buying Beretta's old stuff - apparently not, they bought the factory/equipment years later.

Given what I've heard about the complete lack of Beretta customer service, I'd rather buy from Taurus these days.

I think the comment by the poster who actually owns a Taurus Tracker is about the most useful comment here.

As a side note, as an American who has lived overseas for nearly 10 years, I'm afraid to let you all know that "Made in the USA" is becoming an international joke. One look at the auto industry, and the "built in America" mentality, followed by stories like this hitting the international news pretty much sums it up:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/2...camera-drinking-beer-smoking-pot-lunch-break/

Perhaps the most telling view of America of all: Ten years ago, when I came to Korea, people thought America was a rich country. Women from all over Asia were interested in "coming to America", and you could score dates because of this. These days, many Asian women (and the population in general) don't feel the same way. They view America as a downward spiral. Much of the world feels the same (and many cheer it, believe it or not).

Our school hired some more foreign Ph.D's recently. They actually didn't get many offers, which surprised the staff (but not me). When another foreign coworker asked why they expected more people to apply, given what the position was paying, the response was, "The economy in America is a disaster. We expected they will be desperate to come here and work."

I laughed at this, as did my friend, but we are now beginning to wonder how much longer we can laugh this kind of thing off.

dmb454ss

Jan 27, 2008
    Waldorf
    I own a Tracker in 44mag 4" stainless very good fit and finish and very accurate. Love this gun. I also own 2 other Taurus revolvers in blue, 44mag 6.5" and 357 4" and all three no problems whatsoever and several hundred rounds through them.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    There are a lot of threads around here about thier quality control and customer service. As a dedicated revolver nut, I will not buy one based upon thier reputation.

I'd get one of there revolvers if I got cheap enough and used.

+1

I know their revolvers have a better reputation then their pistols but the Taurus pistol i own is complete garbage. I'd never buy a Taurus as a result.

Truth when it comes to there pistols i'd buy a Hi-Point first.

Also to the OP welcome to the forum and since your in western md come on down and visit us at Hafer's

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom