• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firestorm89

Dec 30, 2012
    When I was at the gun store today, the sales rep said if you buy a 45, the ammo is about twice the cost of 9mm(my current), but if you buy target rounds you save almost half (I assume he means FMJ vs JHP).

Assuming that is all correct, would switching to the better ammo significantly alter trajectory?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If you are shooting at 25 yards +/- a few, you might see a difference in POA and POI. With that being said, most 45 goes downrange between 850-950fps. There really isn't much of a difference that would really be discernible even if you factor in the BC of the bullet. Now if you are shooting a 230gr bullet and switch to a 180gr bullet you will see a serious POA/POI shift at 25 yards. As long as you keep the same bullet weight between the FMJ and the JHP, you'll be good and may not notice a difference.

If you are just going to go out to the range for some target shooting, get the target loads (FMJ). If you plan on using it as a HD firearm, take a box or 2 to the range so you will know how the gun reacts (and how you can compensate for it) with your HD ammo.

Hope this helps!

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    If you are shooting at 25 yards +/- a few, you might see a difference in POA and POI. With that being said, most 45 goes downrange between 850-950fps. There really isn't much of a difference that would really be discernible even if you factor in the BC of the bullet. Now if you are shooting a 230gr bullet and switch to a 180gr bullet you will see a serious POA/POI shift at 25 yards. As long as you keep the same bullet weight between the FMJ and the JHP, you'll be good and may not notice a difference.

If you are just going to go out to the range for some target shooting, get the target loads (FMJ). If you plan on using it as a HD firearm, take a box or 2 to the range so you will know how the gun reacts (and how you can compensate for it) with your HD ammo.

Hope this helps!

Sound advice. You ALWAYS want to take your HD ammo to the range to see how it shoots, and if your gun likes it. Most people use FMJ for target practice.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    agree with all above. pick a HD round and make sure it works and you know point of impact. then just have fun with the less expensive fmj stuff.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you can find any:sad20:

well at the chantilly gun show this weekend there was definitely no shortage of ammo, it just was very expensive. .45 fmj was $24-25 at the 'cheaper' tables and into the $30s at the total-bend-you-over tables. hollow points were in the $30-$50+ range per box of 50.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    There is a huge difference in trajectory:

A shoulder shot with 230gn ball ammo will knock the bad guy down.

A shoulder shot with 230gn JHP ammo will send an arm flying.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I shoot 230gr out of my .45 for both practice and PD. My PD round is Federal HydraShok .45ACP hollowpoints. Practice ammo is Independence, Magtech and Federal. Ballistics are similar. The Hydrashoks group better, recoil is a bit sharper with more muzzle flash.

I tend to shoot off my older PD rounds and rotate in new ones. So far, the two rounds shoot close enough for practice purposes. Velocity and weight similarities are what matter most.

Matt

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As is the common theme 230 HPs at standard vel will have similar impact ( and recoil charistics ) to 230 fmj . 200gr and 185gr will typically impact somewhat lower , but need to shoot from your gun , in your hands to know how much. Then you can determine how that relates to your needs at anticipated SD distances.

Mowog

Dec 1, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    I have 9MM also.

I just picked up a case of 124 grain Winchester NATO, which is +P. When it's available again, I plan to get some Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. Use the Winchester at the range for practice, then shoot a mag of Gold Dots to feel how it handles.

I think +P JHPs will be more than enough for what I need. I must admit that 45s are impressive at the range, but with cost and availability, I think standardizing on one ammo is a good idea.

Now if you already have several calibers already, then the scenario is different. Right now I have just .22 and 9MM, and I've decided to hunker down with what I have until everything blows over.

Bob

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Reload - it nullifies the cost factor, although better bullets do cost more.

Another option for defensive ammo is to cast your own hollowpoints. There are molds for HPs for just about every handgun caliber, and expansion is as good or better than JHPs.

Realistically, you are using these bullets for self/home defense, right? The vast majority of your shooting will be target shooting. There is a minority of handgun shooters that hunts with handguns, but most people won't use that many HPs in a year.

Buy a box or two of the Personal Defense ammo, load it up at home and shoot the cheap stuff at the range.

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    DICKS in GLen burnie had 45 auto ammo yesterday but not much. They had about 10 boxes of Remington for $25. I wasnt looking for ammo and only had a few bucks on me so I only could buy one box. That was at 4pm yesterday.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    A note on personal defense ammo - If you are having feeding problems with some of the hollowpoints that are more cone shaped try Remington golden sabers. They are more of the dome shape of the FMJs and I have found them to feed more easily.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    FMJ can be used as defense ammo. I realize the difference in ammo and expansion and over penetration, but the major difference is price. For premium JHP ammo in 45 you will pay $25-$35 for 20-25 rounds. For a box of 50 rnd FMJ, you SHOULD pay between $15-$18. Prices now are higher, but you can still find deals, just takes patience.

One thing to consider is to test how each firearm reacts to each type of ammo. Different JHP have different profiles and MAY react differently in your gun. 1911s are notorious for not liking JHP, but I have several 1911s and have not had issues. Another thing to consider is that some defense rounds had different bullet weights.

I fired the GuardDawg rounds that Federal sells, through my EMP 9mm and the charge was light and the bullet is light too. It did not reliably cycle my gun, so I will not use it in my EMP. It might be ok in a lighter slide, but not my EMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom