• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have yet to find a centerfire semi auto delivering sleek size, power, shootability, reliability, good trigger AND accuracy performance as a 1911. I've tried several other types of centerfire semi autos and keep coming back to the 1911. I think they breed inside my safe.

I had a Glock 17 for about a month. It was a fine pistol. I could shoot it, it worked well....was easy as pie to carry.....just didn't click with me. The problem wasn't the gun....it was me.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    5cary give On-Target a call and see what 1911 rental guns they have. I went yesterday and rented a Ruger 1911 and SR45. It looked like they had at least 5 different 1911's.
    I left the range surprised. The 2 Rugers both shot more accurate and had better triggers than my HK 45 Full and there're half the price:sad20:
    The 2 Rugers did have functioning issues due to lack of cleaning.
    On-Target has 15 to 20 1911's for sale on display.

1911's are like Harleys if they have to explain you wouldn't understand:lol2:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As much as I like the 1911 now it sure didn't start that way. I shot a fellow shooter's GM and thought, "I have to get one of these". Got one, hit the loading bench. At the end of that first range session I was ready to jump up and down on that pistol. It was reliable, felt good to shoot, didn't point exceptionally well and accuracy wise it left much to be desired.

The fire was lit. A Gil Hebard catalog, mechanical aptitude, a great deal of reading and inquiring, and the willingness to 'start doing those things' got me going. I bought my first part for it at a gun show my Dad and I attended...a sear. I soon had a pistol that would shoot 2'' even at 25yards, occasionally tighter, had good sights and a decent trigger. The love grew... slowly.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    What are suggestions for moderately priced 1911's ? I'd be looking for one that that does not look too much different than the classic?

Model_of_1911_US_Army.jpg

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    There is no cure sir, you need to buy one, and hope that cures it for you.

Capacity is one thing, but there are options (8 & 10 rd mags). Also most other .45's don't have all that much more capacity.

They are very easy to field strip and clean, and just look bad-ass.

As with anything just depends on how much you want to spend on it.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If you're looking for a pre 1920 M1911 in that condition or even worn out with no bluing left, be prepared to make a LARGE investment. They aren't cheap anymore.

No, a new gun that "looks" similar. I've seen some 1911's with custom grips. Safety's and hammers a bit different. I saw a Remington 1911 which looked pretty close to the picture shown. I don't need the metal loops. I'm asking what manufacturer today makes the pistol that looks like they did 60-70 years ago of an acceptable quality. The Colt is just way expensive.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If I wanted a plain-Jane no-frills GI style 1911, I'd probably look at the Springfield Mil-Spec. Bud's sells them for a touch over $600, and they review very well. They come Parked or SS. There are a couple of minor changes - angled slide serrations rather than perpendicular, a slightly scalloped ejection port - stuff like that, but otherwise pretty close to mil-spec for what the old Colts were.

I imagine that if one looks around, finding a used Springfield Mil-Spec probably isn't going to be that difficult.

One day I want a 1911 project gun - something that starts off pretty basic that I can pimp out to my heart's content.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What are suggestions for moderately priced 1911's ? I'd be looking for one that that does not look too much different than the classic?

Remington R1
    Colt 1991A1
    RIA 1911
    Springfield Mil-Spec
    Taylor's and Company

The top two are US made, the others at least start out in the Philippines or Brazil.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Talk you out of it? If you insist...

It uses a cartridge arguably no more effective than others available for half the price, and carries half as many.

Disassembly takes minutes and a tool instead of seconds and your hands.

It has a grip safety no one, including the designer, wanted.

For the same money you could have a CMP Garand, a weapon actually relevant to the outcome of a war.

It requires a manual of arms different from any other pistol you are likely to own.

(Just doing as asked. I am the happy owner of a 1911 and don't plan on selling it. I think you should buy one. :))

If disassembly takes you minutes and a tool, you're doing it wrong. 20 seconds and no tools. Not hard at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    That depends entirely on the bushing to barrel fit. My Dan Wesson still needs some persuasion with a bushing tool to takedown the pistol. I don't have the strongest finger strength so that's a part of it, but I don't necessarily consider the bushing fit to be a bad thing - a tight fit like that is indicative of an accurate pistol. For a competition/range toy, this is more ideal than looser fits like a GI model.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I only have a single 1911 - a Colt, made in 1941. It has the looser fit on the barrel bushing and spring and it takes me maybe mere seconds longer to take it down than it takes me to take apart either my USP 45 or my Walther P99.

Getting a couple more 1911s is definitely on my wish list of guns - to me, they still have a deserved place next to the more modern guns.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member

If you want an original configuration 1911 there is really only one readilly available option that will do. Save your money, buy once cry once. This is a Colt 1911 100 year anniversary 1911. There are still plenty of these guns out there. I have one and it is awesome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      33 KB · Views: 183

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads