• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    BWHAHWHAW.. I need to read the whole thread before responding.... Although I stilll believe an encore can use a contender barrel... No matter, you will enjoy it. I got two G1 frames and a whole buncha barrels, fun to shoot, fun to hunt.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    7-30 Waters is a GREAT cartridge in the Contender. For hunting it would be my first choice (if fit for the game you're going after).

30-30 is also nice and it's neat to have one of the 45/.410 barrels (there are some differences in them so research before you buy).

.45acp and .22, and..........:D You can end up with a mess of them fast!

Watch for the differences in forends if you get into octagonal barrels. Either buy barrels with foreends or try to stick to one type of barrel if you can. Parts are drying up and the foreends which I would see around for super cheap are getting $$.

That said, the Contender is a great platform.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    It's like an ar15 and ar10 which is better?

If you like higher power big bore pistol and rifle rounds the Encore is for you.
    If you like smaller rounds the Contender is for you.

But, to be sure, the Contender has some pretty punchy rounds. I currently have 8 barrels for 2 frames....most are factory or wildcat pistol cartridges. However, I have also owned 35 Rem and have seen 45-70 barrels advertised. There are also wildcat 35 cal variants that rival the 460 Mag in energy and velocity. My favorite? 30 Herrett. (except that making the cases is a PITA...but I otherwise love the caliber!)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You may also find the longer fore end more to your liking even on the shorter barrels. It is worth a try. When shooting smaller, lighter recoil calibers you'll find you can use a rifle like hold and more readily get the rifle like accuracy TC's are known for.

TC says to not mix Contender Armaloy and blue steel frames/barrels (I have heard of it being done).

There are a couple accessories like a TC sling and cartridge sleeve available which prevents field carry from being cumbersome.

My TC with 22LR Match barrel IS my squirrel and small game gun. Good ammo being the caveat, if you miss with a TC...well, you missed.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As Bfy43 and SxS mentioned, there are a plethora of wapotent and/ or flat shooting cals for Contenders. In particularly check out the JDJ family of ctgs. The 375JDJ has taken everthing that can be hunted, including elephant.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Guys, I appreciate all the help and advice. I finally settled on one. I got a Contender. It came with a 30-30 barrel. It is being transferred into Maryland tomorrow. I can then do the paperwork and wait. Thanks again.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    44 Magnum is what they told me. I did not look at it that closely. I think it is really a 45 colt/410.

That 45 Colt/410 barrel is a hoot! I have used my spring loaded clays thrower to launch clays almost from my feet and shoot at them with a 410 load. I wanted 1 for years, but just finally found one for $135 on a sporting goods flea market table at my gun club several years back. Had to have it" :)

The good thing about the Contender, is I do come across barrels very cheaply at times. My best deal was the package deal 3 or 4 years ago. A Contender with 5 barrels for $450! I sold the 256 Win and 35 Rem barrels for about $350 (well, approximately since there was a partial trade).

My favorite barrels? 30 Herrett (14" with Williams sight), 223 (Super 14" with 2x TC scope) and 22 (10" with stock TC sights). The 30-30 is just kind of OK although you can shoot factory with it and there is no such thing as factory 30 Herrett.

It's been a l-o-n-g time since I've shot IHMSA, but I used to see quite a few 30Herrett and 7mm TCUs out there plus a few 30 Waters. 30-30's, not so much. BUT!!! you can work some loads for that that can be very accurate. I usually used the same 125 gr - 130 grain jacketed spitzer and soft-point bullets I used for the 30 Herrett. I played around with a sort of neck sizing only process whereby the brass is basically fire formed to your chamber. It works better with the Herrett (which shoots better using neck sizing only) because of the much sharper shoulder, but you can get the 30-30 to headspace basically on the shoulder rather than on the rim by ensuring all your brass is trimmed to the exact same length (I usually trimmed a couple thousandths less than max case length), fire-forming with moderate loads, then just sizing the neck to hold the bullets. I could get accuracy just a bit less than my Herrett doing this. DO make sure to keep these rounds separate from your 30-30 rifle. They likely won't chamber (and could jam), shouldn't be used in a tubular mag (because of pointed bullets - although Hornady FTX could render this particular issue moot - I didn't have them back in the day), and many lever rifles (like my Marlin 336C) don't like the lighter bullets in terms of accuracy anyway. If all is sized properly, you will have to fairly strongly snap the Contender closed.

I did have a friend (well, he's still a friend....I just don't know if he still has the barrel, :lol:) with a 30-30 barrel that shot factory significantly better than my 30-30 barrel. I don't know what the difference is.

Neck sizing....even with that long tapered shoulder...is worth a try if you reload.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had an 10" Armaloy Contender in 30-30 caliber way back. Off bags it would hold 1 1/4" all day with Hornady 110 grain Plinkers (IIRC) and another spitzer from Hornady. I would have to check the reloading log to get the particulars.

I also learned magnum primers will sometimes cause a load to shoot a little slower (about 25 to 50 fps) than standard primers. I've read of it a couple times since then.

Flash

Jan 1, 2008
    Adams County Pa.
    You may also find the longer fore end more to your liking even on the shorter barrels. It is worth a try. When shooting smaller, lighter recoil calibers you'll find you can use a rifle like hold and more readily get the rifle like accuracy TC's are known for.

TC says to not mix Contender Armaloy and blue steel frames/barrels (I have heard of it being done).

There are a couple accessories like a TC sling and cartridge sleeve available which prevents field carry from being cumbersome.

My TC with 22LR Match barrel IS my squirrel and small game gun. Good ammo being the caveat, if you miss with a TC...well, you missed.

The Armor Alloy finish has a thickness of about .006 and this closes the barrel pivot holes and the hole in the frame as well. The AA barrels can be opened up with a wooden dowel and 240 grit paper in a hand drill but then they become to sloppy to ever use again in the AA frame. There weren't many calibers offered in AA to make the conversion worth it.
    The longer forend effects harmonics, which in turn effects accuracy. Longer forends are usable but only with the rear screw installed. When you use both screws, the torque will change the harmonics(vibration)and your impact point will change.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I understand the harmonics. Shooting 22 LR and 22 WMR in Hunters Pistol competition, the couple of clicks of adjustment I made were probably more from the change in my hold than harmonics since the groups stayed tight. Now I have only used the longer fore end on the 7 TCU barrel so I can't say there.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I had an 10" Armaloy Contender in 30-30 caliber way back. Off bags it would hold 1 1/4" all day with Hornady 110 grain Plinkers (IIRC) and another spitzer from Hornady. I would have to check the reloading log to get the particulars.

I also learned magnum primers will sometimes cause a load to shoot a little slower (about 25 to 50 fps) than standard primers. I've read of it a couple times since then.

I was lucky to get my 30-30 barrel to hold a 5 " group at 100 yds with factory ammo. Handloads and neck sizing? about 2" or slightly more. My 30 Herrett? 1" or thereabouts at 100 yds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom