Switching from CLP to Ballistol safe on finish?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Patriot

Jan 22, 2010
    I'm switching from CLP to Ballistol to clean my firearms.

All of my firearms have been cleaned with CLP many times. if I switch to ballistol can that hurt the finish, polymer or anything? Since I've already used CLP?

Thanks

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I wouldn't see why that would hurt anything, but I don't know enough about either. From what I have read, breakfree CLP sucks but I bought a bottle to try out.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wouldn't see why that would hurt anything, but I don't know enough about either. From what I have read, breakfree CLP sucks but I bought a bottle to try out.

I have never heard it sucks but I prefer the consistency of eezox

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I'm switching from CLP to Ballistol to clean my firearms.

All of my firearms have been cleaned with CLP many times. if I switch to ballistol can that hurt the finish, polymer or anything? Since I've already used CLP?

Thanks

I've used Ballistol for about eight years now on all kinds of guns, polymer frames & stocks, and even on a wood stock. No issues, and I really like it.

Mdtom

Jan 23, 2011
    Oliver Beach Md
    I completely switch to Ballistol for all my firearms. I use the 10% with water for black powder and shooting old corrosive ammo. It has replaced CLP and Hoppe’s for all my regular cleaning after shooting. All guns are wiped down with it before storing and have not had any problems in the 3 years since I started.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I started using Ballistol when I got into Civil War reenacting. Use it on everything, steel, wood, leather. If it's got a negative, I don't know what it is.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Ballistol will not harm the finish on any fire arm when used correctly. I have been using it for several years and have found it works wonders on old wood stocks. Using the 10% Mixture and 0000 steel wool really pulls the grime out of some of my milsurps. YMMV

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

Why does CLP suck?

I always thought it was a great do-everything product and had great corrosion resistance properties.

I mean, if i'm sitting in my home I'll use seperate solvent, lube, etc. But I don't think I would hesitate to use breakfree CLP for everything if I had to.

Actually, now that its been brought up, I use it for lubing everything on my glocks that need to be lubed. Recently started doing that.

Before I would use shooters choice grease on the rails but I don't see the point anymore.

Mdtom

Jan 23, 2011
    Oliver Beach Md
    I use the 10% ballistol 90% water for corrosive and black powder, clean with that then fiiniish with 100% ballistol. Works great with my inline and bore butter not needed when I load.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I heard Ballistol can be used as an antiseptic, not sure if it's true.
    It's nice that you can use it on wood and leather.
    Also frankly I think Ballistol smells OK compared to EEZOX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom