• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    I own a classic "west side story" style switchblade. It currently resides blade down in a dish of sand I use as a intense burner in my front foyer. I bought it in a head shop in downtown SanFran, it was about $20 after a fair amount of haggling with the guy.

I carried it for about 5 days before the lock failed and it opened in my pocket.

Trust me when I say that you should try and live your life in a manner that insures that this will never happen to you.

urbanwarrior

Sep 13, 2008
    Bel Air
    Well we are civilians...sometimes. The logic behind LEO's and switch blades is that if we are fighting for our lives and can get to our knife but only have one hand to deploy it, then an auto knife is necessary. Another situation is if we are at the scene of an auto accident and need to cut searbelts for example, once again single handed deployment is necessary. Neither of these may matter to you but to me or someones life I may save because I have a full auto knife, it is a very valid reason. There are several professional reasons for us to carry full autos, lets face it we are a little less likely to go around sticking up the general public with them. Lets not forget once again LEO's are human, and subject to mistakes just like every other POS walking on two feet.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    True about needing them for work, when working construction there were plenty of times when I only had one hand free on top of a ladder doing the cross between a juggling and a balancing act as I needed to cut a rope, piece of tape or stuck gasket. A butterfly knife would come in real handy, but it was no where near as good as a switchblade would be.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    that is cool... had a kershaw speedsafe for a few years and got good use from it. Like the Emerson Commander better, but they ain't cheap

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Well ......if ya wanna call a C-119 an airplane. :D

Hey those were supposedly made at Fairchild here in Hagerstown back in the day. We just recieved the LAST flying example in the world at our Hagerstown Aviation Museum last week or maybe the week before because I think I had to work that day or I'd have gone out and watched it land! We already have the C-82 Packet out there btw :OD :OD :OD

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hey those were supposedly made at Fairchild here in Hagerstown back in the day. We just recieved the LAST flying example in the world at our Hagerstown Aviation Museum last week or maybe the week before because I think I had to work that day or I'd have gone out and watched it land! We already have the C-82 Packet out there btw :OD :OD :OD
    Was it the c-119 they used in the movie?

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Well we are civilians...sometimes. The logic behind LEO's and switch blades is that if we are fighting for our lives and can get to our knife but only have one hand to deploy it, then an auto knife is necessary. Another situation is if we are at the scene of an auto accident and need to cut searbelts for example, once again single handed deployment is necessary. Neither of these may matter to you but to me or someones life I may save because I have a full auto knife, it is a very valid reason. There are several professional reasons for us to carry full autos, lets face it we are a little less likely to go around sticking up the general public with them. Lets not forget once again LEO's are human, and subject to mistakes just like every other POS walking on two feet.

I understand what you're saying, but how are any of those situations different from a civilian? Although both circumstances are rare, certainly more rare for a "civilian", it doesn't make the need any less.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    True about needing them for work, when working construction there were plenty of times when I only had one hand free on top of a ladder doing the cross between a juggling and a balancing act as I needed to cut a rope, piece of tape or stuck gasket. A butterfly knife would come in real handy, but it was no where near as good as a switchblade would be.

Funny you should mention butterfly knives. That's actually similar to what they were originally made for. Despite their close association with the Philippines today, they came over to that part of the world as knives used by European sailors.

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    ... and available at your local wal mart.
    I love mine. Had to leave it with security today down in DC at the White House Store (wife had to have the White House tree ornament...) Got her back before leaving.

I have an old, wavy-blade Italian stilleto someone gave me about 25 years ago. I'll have to pop up a picture.

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    Here's mine. I've foolishly taken this to place it shouldn't have been and was lucky not to lose it. Before 911, I had it in NYC and it escaped detection at the Statue of Liberty State Park and in the Empire State Building (was even x-rayed in my back pack there). Now it just stays peacefully in my nightstand, soon to be accompanied by a Ruger SP101.
    The blade says "Italy" on one side and "Stilleto" on the the other:

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    I have two right now .
    One is a Boker Top Lock
    Two is a Buck 110 that was converted auto and is my favorite.
    Could care less about "the law" I carry the buck everywhere I go for the last 10 yrs.
    Never had a problem.
    Flowers051.jpg

Flowers052.jpg

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    I have two right now .
    One is a Boker Top Lock
    Two is a Buck 110 that was converted auto and is my favorite.
    Could care less about "the law" I carry the buck everywhere I go for the last 10 yrs.
    Never had a problem.
    That Buck is pretty neat, who did the work on that to convert to an auto?

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    how insane is it that we are having a conversation over the legality of a knife

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    That Buck is pretty neat, who did the work on that to convert to an auto?

The guy who was selling them was from S. Carolina somewhere ?
    He had a vendor booth at Bike Week in Daytona 10-11 yrs ago.
    It has a real strong spring and snaps out fast.
    Really well made.
    I found this site with the same thing but price is about $50 more than I paid : http://www.knives4wholesale.com/AUTOMATIC_KNIVES-BUCK.html

i carry my microtech troodon everywhere i go while in uniform.
    The microtech troodon is kinda cool but no chance in hell I would pay $335 ( for any pocket knife) for a knife made mostly of plastic and with a blade that small .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom