• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One Wire

Jul 25, 2012
    can any one recommend a great to outstanding gunsmith in St Marys county that can fix the SW MP 9mm trigger??????

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    can any one recommend a great to outstanding gunsmith in St Marys county that can fix the SW MP 9mm trigger??????

Im also curious if there is a S&W certified gunsmith I could use locally instead of shipping out in the mail to them directly. I want to keep the warranty and not void it by using someone other than S&W.
    I would also like to have a trigger job done on my m&p9, but without mailing, or doing it myself and messing up the warranty.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Search for burwell. Aside from apex, its the way to go for a trigger job

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I'd suggest the Apex DCAEK. I have installed several and they are excellent.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

Doing it myself won't void the warranty? Hell I'll just do it myself if that is the case. I'll take another look at the owners manual and see if it specifies this anywhere or maybe I'll just call S&W, I hear their customer service rocks.

I thought I had read somewhere it would void the warranty.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Doing it myself won't void the warranty? Hell I'll just do it myself if that is the case. I'll take another look at the owners manual and see if it specifies this anywhere or maybe I'll just call S&W, I hear their customer service rocks.

I thought I had read somewhere it would void the warranty.

I'm not familiar with their warranty, but I work for a manufacturer and if we get aftermarket parts in a gun that's malfunctioning we'll put the factory stuff in and return the aftermarket parts to the customer.

Doing it yourself is easy, the hardest part is removing the rear sight to replace the striker block and spring, a vise really helps. It's a straightforward install.

As a gunsmith I usually prefer to use quality aftermarket parts rather than modifying factory parts.

The Apex kits actually change the geometry of the sear & striker relationship resulting in a smooth, consistent pull with very little over travel. The over travel is what most people take issue with on the M&P, and their sear is also polished to remove most if not all grittiness.

They are worth the money and I've never had an issue with their parts, they are consistent and of good quality. I don't care who you are, modifying factory parts always has at least a slight bit of fudge factor. There is no guarantee it will hold up which is why I don't do such work.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

(Edited due to a lack of proofreading)

Scott4

Aug 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Yes to the APEX DCAEK. Just installed in my own m&p, it's not too difficult with the right tools and patience : )

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I too have the APEX DCAEK in my m&p. absolutely love it. BUT for kicks and giggles I decided to inspect where the grit was coming from. Like many, my grit was coming from a burr in the striker safety hole. The plunger would scrape against it as the plunger was depressed.

I took a small diamond file to the burr, popped in the old kit and didnt have the gritty trigger. But in the end I put in the DCAEK cause I liked the added pull and the polymer trigger. I used a jewelers file, found the burr, and slowly removed it checking my progress once in awhile. I'd put the plunger in to test it just to make sure I wasnt removing too much material at a time.

I tried to rent someones MGW sight removal tool, but no one would let me borrow it. So. I bought my own. Now I can change out my sight safely without a visit to a gunsmith.

If you just want to get rid of the grit, take off rear sight and look down to see if you can see the burr. If you want to fix the slop and other issues, spend the money on the Apex kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom