• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Thanks for continuing to remind people here how nice these are! I've been keeping track of what's available for weeks, hoping nobody is going to find a bargain online before I do, and now ... this, again! :rolleyes:

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I came very close to buying one of these on gunbroker last night but I decided not to. I am going to Steele's and War Relics in Delaware tomorrow, hopefully I can find an SVT40 at a reasonable price...

Beautiful guns by the way!

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Awesome!! THAT is how to buy a magazine :D
    DO NOT touch up the stock-you will do more harm than good and lose the collectibility of the firearm. Please sell it before you try to, "fix" it ;)

Now, with that out of the way...we need more pics!! What year/arsenal? Pics of the bayonets as well, please!

Thanks for the advice, will I need to do anything to protect the stock since some of the finish is gone? Its a 1941, Izshevek marked, mis-matched and it has scope rails. I will work on some more pics later.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'd love to have one of these, too. It sort of reminds me of an SKS on steroids. I guess this is to the the SKS as the AK47 is to a PSL type of rifle.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Although I am a huge fan of Soviet stuff, I would buy a VZ-58 instead of a SVT-40, the SVT is too hard to break down and is very tempermental.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the advice, will I need to do anything to protect the stock since some of the finish is gone? Its a 1941, Izshevek marked, mis-matched and it has scope rails. I will work on some more pics later.

Ah I know where you got it from...I was actually gonna go see if it was still there this week but you beat me too it. You're lucky you snagged it before I did :innocent0 Glad it went to somebody who appreciates it though!

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    I actually don't find them that hard to break down. I think they rather unfairly earned that reputation. the recoil spring is a bit tough, but the gas system is pretty straight forward. Easier than an sks gas system I'd say.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Ah I know where you got it from...I was actually gonna go see if it was still there this week but you beat me too it. You're lucky you snagged it before I did :innocent0 Glad it went to somebody who appreciates it though!

Haha, it was a close call then. Once I saw the SA stamp I knew I couldn't resist anymore.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    FWIW - a good friend, who is a retired USMC type with an incredible amount of firearms experience, just showed me his the other night and said, "I think that I may like this even better than the Garand." If I hadn't heard him say that with my own ears, I wouldn't have believed it ... but it's mighty high praise for the SVT 40.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Whatever you do, make darn sure you only use light ball ammo, I have seen pictures of a SVT-40 receiver destroyed from using heavy ball ammo in it.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County

Do not touch with anything other than a dry cloth. The stock will survive just fine without being, "cleaned up" or fixed...;) :D

It survived:
    -being issued/trained with
    -used in battle
    -captured
    -re-issued against it's motherland
    -exported
    -imported
    -and anyone who had it before you.

It's seen worse than you'll ever give it in the future :D

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Congrats!!! Make sure to make a new thread filled with pictures :D

A correct SVT40 sling will be about $100 for canvas and at least $150 for an early leather example.
    Refurb bayonets can be had for about $120-$150. Non-refurb bayonets can run up to twice that amount from someone that knows what they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom