• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum

Feb 5, 2007
    New Windsor, Maryland
    Today I got a call from my gun dealer asking me for the make and model of a regulated rifle that I bought. I do not yet know if they need the serial number from it because I hung up telling them I will get back to you.
    I only told them it was a regulated rifle. I asked them why and who wants this info. They only said that the dealer needs the info. I then stated that all this info is on the 4473 form I filled out and it was stamped not disapproved by MD State Police or whoever does background checks. Why would you need the info again? They did not answer my question, just tried to get more info from me. I then just hung up.
    What do you make of this? I can verify it was the dealer I bought the gun from.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    have you called the dealer to varify that is was them that called you. Since you are the one calling ask them what is going on--maybe some blocks missed getting filled out. If they will not answer your questions don't answer any of theirs.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Are you sure it was your gun dealer? I would call them back and just ask. It's very possible that maybe a number is unreadable on a form they need to log into their books.

Since we all know faxing forms back and forth is much better than an instant check system.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If the firearm is regulated, they may have transposed a digit or two between the 4473 and the MDSP form 77, and wanted to make sure.

Give your dealer a call, and verify. Hopefully it's that simple of an issue.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    If your dealer is not too far from you, stop in and ask questions. Take the info with you and if it's legit youll have it there.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    i got a similar call from my FFL a few weeks ago wanting to know the SN of a shotgun i transferred through him a few months back. he said that an ATF agent came and inspected and couldn't find the 4473, yet the shotgun was logged in/out of his book. he later called me back and said the paper was right where it was suppose to be and the ATF lady was just stupid and couldn't find it.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    sounds like a bookkeeping issue since they're not asking for info they shouldn't already have. I'd stop by in person though..

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    was the gun store recently broken into? a friend bought a used car from a small dealer. it was broken into. the bandits came to his house asking for pay off:sad20:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    If I received a call like this and did not immediately recognize the voice I would tell the person I will call back in a few, that I NEED to use the restroom and then call the shop using the phone number on a known good business card or receipt.

I like how my bank handles things when they need info or has an issue, they tell me to call the local branch at my convenience or stop in. They do not ask for the info with that call.

Magnum

Feb 5, 2007
    New Windsor, Maryland
    I have forgotten about this issue. :innocent0 I never called back and they never called me back. If it was important enough to them, they sure would have called me by now. I`m not going to worry about it.
    The info they asked for is on the receipt. And it was definitely on the 4473. :rolleyes:

Caveat Emptor

Jan 9, 2010
    These kinds of requests are not unusual and typically indicate a dealer trying to reconcile multiple records (4473, 77R, A&D bound book, etc.). This is especially true of "stocking" dealers who keep multiple firearms of similar make/model/caliber. If you're Pro 2A, then help your dealer out and provide the info. Every gun dealer that loses a license due to administrative errors (i.e. book keeping mistakes) is a victory for gun control extremists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom