Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    What are we placing the odds at for remand to district court vs. SCOTUS intervention (or some combination thereof)?

It is 100% being remanded for more discovery on “common use” and what number is common.
    That’ll take years because they’ll spend a year finding numbers that support, filing briefs, rebuttals then scheduling oral arguments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    "Justice delayed is..."

I understand SCOTUS' reticence to take cases too quickly lest they be seen as usurping the authority of lower courts but when civil liberties are violated this egregiously, I do wish that they'd step up.

As attacks on SCOTUS legitimacy increase in volume and frequency, I suspect that they'll actually become more timid about stepping in, in order to maintain their impartiality.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    tried to listen to the replay this morning, as i missed more then half yesterday. made if 5 minutes. old stuttering john and fred gwynne (soundalikes) and one of the women judges were on THE PEOPLE for a couple minutes, and then how dare you challenge the legislature, and lets use rational scrutiny. (to my amateur, non lawyer, ears)

i had to exit.

ok. lets see how long this one can drag out. it was 14 months from dec 22 to feb 24 sitting on the panel before being snatched away. for this. points to 4box guy being correct that the intention was to head off a pro2a ruling. can't have that. not in the 4th circus.

and now, talk of a possible remand?

i am curious how much time the justices from the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 7th 9th circui will spend on conference calls and email chains coordinating their reply to the awb/mag ban cases. that'd be some interesting communications to capture and read through.

maybe vlad of one of his email hackers will have that access and info. admin account and password A2A1234

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I would hope all nine SCOTUS justices would stand together to bolster the authority of the court. 5-4 or 6-3 decisions don't do that like 9-0 decisions do. I wonder whether justices on the losing side of a decision might nonetheless vote with the majority to make a statement that the court is not to be trifled with.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I would hope all nine SCOTUS justices would stand together to bolster the authority of the court. 5-4 or 6-3 decisions don't do that like 9-0 decisions do. I wonder whether justices on the losing side of a decision might nonetheless vote with the majority to make a statement that the court is not to be trifled with.

Maybe 8-1 to give a single dissent to the opinion but stating the dissent in no way is encouraging the behavior of the “inferior courts”

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is why I advocate for a Federal Firearms Rights Act, similar to the Voting Rights Act. We'll be decades playing the judicial runaround.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

From the article:

"Have you ever fired an M16," [4th Circuit Judge] Wilkinson, who served in the army reserves during the Vietnam War, asked. "The kick was so powerful that when a bullet struck a human being, it splintered them in all sorts of different pieces. There was very little left of the human being."

Little wonder that his party's totem animal is a jackass.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    From the article:

"Have you ever fired an M16," [4th Circuit Judge] Wilkinson, who served in the army reserves during the Vietnam War, asked. "The kick was so powerful that when a bullet struck a human being, it splintered them in all sorts of different pieces. There was very little left of the human being."

1711973687550.png

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    From the article:

It is too bad an attorney would probably be censured, held in contempt, and arrested for interrupting the rambling judge to first thank him for his service and then ask why that is relevant to an arms ban case. And each time the judge states it for the public protection to interrupt and say but interest balancing is not allowed so I again ask how is this story relevant.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    From the article:

I had a customer who was asking me gun related questions. He was not anti 2nd ,but stated he thought ARs should be banned. He had heard about their ability for auto fire. And said the bullets they use are very devastating. When I explained to him they are no different than other semis used for deer hunting and their caliber is considered too small in some stated for deer , he just stood there with a blank stare. I think he believed me and was thinking he had been duped by the media. I didnt ask because I thought I presented the truth very well and didnt want him to think I was trying to push an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom