• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have seen the claim that suppressors reduce recoil. Is this true? I have not noticed this to be the case but I have yet to try anything heavier than 5.56, 6.5 Grendel or 300 Blackout with a can.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I have seen the claim that suppressors reduce recoil. Is this true? I have not noticed this to be the case but I have yet to try anything heavier than 5.56, 6.5 Grendel or 300 Blackout with a can.

I can say for certain that there is recoil mitigation on my Marlin 1895 when shooting suppressed (non-subsonic ammo).

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I thought most suppressors increase back pressure... which would then seem like it would incease recoil. Unless the suppressor has angled ports specifically to reduce recoil.

They also add weight to the front of the barrel thus reducing barrel flip.

Can anyone comment on if that is correct or am I missing something?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Suppressors work by slowing down the hot gases behind the bullet. It does that using a series of baffles.

The gases impinge on the baffles and lose momentum. This momentum gets passed onto the baffles and hence the suppressor, pushing it forward. This tends to counteract the backward motion of the recoil.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I thought most suppressors increase back pressure... which would then seem like it would incease recoil. Unless the suppressor has angled ports specifically to reduce recoil.

They also add weight to the front of the barrel thus reducing barrel flip.

Can anyone comment on if that is correct or am I missing something?

My experience is that yes they do reduce recoil. My understanding is that the mass of the suppressor does counter some of the recoil and muzzle flip. Some of the energy of the muzzle blast is absorbed by the baffles too, which reduces the recoil as well. In a gas operated rifle the additional back pressure just exits the chamber. In a bolt action rifle the chamber is closed so the pressure just exits the barrel after the projectile exits. Again some of this pressure is absorbed by the baffles and dissipated slightly slower.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Suppressors work by slowing down the hot gases behind the bullet. It does that using a series of baffles.

The gases impinge on the baffles and lose momentum. This momentum gets passed onto the baffles and hence the suppressor, pushing it forward. This tends to counteract the backward motion of the recoil.

Yes. The whole force=mass X acceleration, the same mass of hot gas goes out the muzzle/suppressor, but when it's slowed by a suppressor, the recoil force imparted by the muzzle blast is a fraction of what it would be with a bare muzzle. There is also the added weight that slows the recoil impulse. Not as effective as a decent muzzle brake, but it works.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    My experience is that yes they do reduce recoil. My understanding is that the mass of the suppressor does counter some of the recoil and muzzle flip. Some of the energy of the muzzle blast is absorbed by the baffles too, which reduces the recoil as well. In a gas operated rifle the additional back pressure just exits the chamber. In a bolt action rifle the chamber is closed so the pressure just exits the barrel after the projectile exits. Again some of this pressure is absorbed by the baffles and dissipated slightly slower.

This. My 30 cal suppressor weighs 2 lbs. My 556 suppressor weights 3/4 lbs. Adding a few lbs a lbs of anything to a 7.5 lbs rifle will reduce felt recoil substantially.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I shoot my Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 for long distance and always shoot suppressed. I've found there is a noticeable reduction in recoil with a suppressor.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would say yes, but I've seen many experiments that counter that, stating it is merely the added weight that is the main factor. One cannot argue that there IS an effect taking place inside the can from the bullet's vortex. The same reason left hand threaded(European) suppressors tend to stay tight, whereas right hand threaded cans tend to loosen after repeated shooting.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If I had known that a suppressor (1) decreases recoil, and (2) increases muzzle velocity I would have got one 2 years earlier!!

Also - NO new rifles unless the barrel is threaded. Period.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yes, they mitigate recoil to a degree (how much and why is up for debate), and they typically add a small but observable amount to muzzle velocity. Not to rain on OP’s parade, but neither of those should be the deciding factor in purchasing a suppressor. They are basically the two least significant things a suppressor does. Buy a suppressor because it knocks 10-40 decibels off your sound signature, improves rifle accuracy, makes directionality of fire harder to determine, and ideally has a good handful of flash mitigation.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I think one perceived notion of decreased recoil is the reduction in muzzle blast.

Lol, when I shoot long range matches people thank me for shooting suppressed as I’m laying next to them, meanwhile they are all shooting with brakes and it kills me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yes, they mitigate recoil to a degree (how much and why is up for debate), and they typically add a small but observable amount to muzzle velocity. Not to rain on OP’s parade, but neither of those should be the deciding factor in purchasing a suppressor. They are basically the two least significant things a suppressor does. Buy a suppressor because it knocks 10-40 decibels off your sound signature, improves rifle accuracy, makes directionality of fire harder to determine, and ideally has a good handful of flash mitigation.

If the weather calls for rain, let it rain. :)

I still should have got a can two years earlier.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If I had known that a suppressor (1) decreases recoil, and (2) increases muzzle velocity I would have got one 2 years earlier!!

Also - NO new rifles unless the barrel is threaded. Period.

On your last. Get historic guns that aren’t threaded. But yes otherwise. Especially if you bole NEW. I won’t get another rifle that is new if it doesn’t have a threaded barrel. Already annoyed that I’ll probably thread my Sako Forester in .308. It is such a sweat looking gun I hate to mar it at all. But I also really want to be able to hunt with a can using it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Recoil essentially comes from two sources : The momentum of the actual bullet exiting , and the gasses escaping .

A Suppressor slows down the exit velocity of the gasses , and spreads the force out over a longer time period , thus reducing the spike .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom