Suppressor / Tax Stamp - What to Keep on you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Do I just need an image of the tax stamp with me at all times of the whole Package?

Is it OK to just keep it on my phone?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I keep a picture of all my stamps on my phone

If that’s not enough hopefully someone will point it out

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Frankly, you probably don't even need them. You are required to present them to ATF on request, but there is no timeline given on how long you have. Anyone other than an ATF agent who asks to see mine can f*ck right off.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Frankly, you probably don't even need them. You are required to present them to ATF on request, but there is no timeline given on how long you have. Anyone other than an ATF agent who asks to see mine can f*ck right off.
    I have had several people ask if my suppressors are legal, I explain the process. They ewe and aww in disbelief and that’s that

But I was always curious in case a Leo asked I would not had an actual answer until now!

Thanks Doc!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have had several people ask if my suppressors are legal, I explain the process. They ewe and aww in disbelief and that’s that

But I was always curious in case a Leo asked I would not had an actual answer until now!

Thanks Doc!
    Cop has no more right to see your stamp than anyone else, except a Fed tax agent.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you need the actual stamp or a copy or will a picture do if you are asked by a federal agent?
    I carry full size copies of all my stamps in my rifle range bag. I put them in there long ago. I have photo copies in my phone.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    ATF will tell you to make and carry copies - and to keep the original in a safe location.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Thanks Doc!
    Yessir!!

I’m a sucker for a false arrest!!!

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I keep a copy of my paperwork with the tax stamp in the case with the suppressor because the range officer at the IsaaK Walton near my home once asked to see the paperwork, just to see if it's properly registered. They must have had people bring home made suppressors without any proof of registration before. Of course this is the same IWLA that prohibits shooting steel coated ammo at a range with a dirt berm back stop, as if the steel bullet coating will magically destroy the berm.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I keep a copy of my paperwork with the tax stamp in the case with the suppressor because the range officer at the IsaaK Walton near my home once asked to see the paperwork, just to see if it's properly registered. They must have had people bring home made suppressors without any proof of registration before. Of course this is the same IWLA that prohibits shooting steel coated ammo at a range with a dirt berm back stop, as if the steel bullet coating will magically destroy the berm.
    Yeah, that's just stupid. Sounds like another case of RSO Nazism. He has zero authority. He is free to call the AFT though. F**k him.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Wait, we are supposed to have it with us? ROFL... I frequent the range and go hunting a bunch, zero copies and zero fuqs given.

The PDFs are in my email, on my phone i suppose if I needed them. But anyone asking can bug off.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wait, we are supposed to have it with us? ROFL... I frequent the range and go hunting a bunch, zero copies and zero fuqs given.

The PDFs are in my email, on my phone i suppose if I needed them. But anyone asking can bug off.
    I don't think there is a federal requirement to have proof on you at all times - but you do have to produce proof if asked eventually. However, is there not state law that you have to be able to show LE that you have the stamp? IDK I might be wrong.

Also, while an RSO cannot be a rep of the ATF, can't a private entity have a policy that requires NFA owners to have proof?

That being said - if an RSO asks me for my stamp, if there is no range rule for that, yeah, in that case pound sand.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I don't think there is a federal requirement to have proof on you at all times - but you do have to produce proof if asked eventually. However, is there not state law that you have to be able to show LE that you have the stamp? IDK I might be wrong.

Also, while an RSO cannot be a rep of the ATF, can't a private entity have a policy that requires NFA owners to have proof?

That being said - if an RSO asks me for my stamp, if there is no range rule for that, yeah, in that case pound sand.
    Just say you don't have any paperwork. It was dark that night and everyone was in a hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom