• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    Today's Sunday Sun, page 3. Dan Rodricks should go to a gun range and then attend the 2A Tueday meetings. He should be more informed.:cool:

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Today's Sunday Sun, page 3. Dan Rodricks should go to a gun range and then attend the 2A Tueday meetings. He should be more informed.:cool:

Dan Rodricks is an ideologue who carries the anti-gun water for Vinnie DeMarco and company. Attempting to educate him would be an exercise in futility.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    First I hate Rodericks and the Sun but unless I just did not read the piece carefully enough I really don't have much problem with what he is saying, and I feel dirty for saying that.
    Whats wrong with law enforcement trying to trace where the felons are getting their guns from? If it's straw purchases the laws are on the books to go after the offenders and they should go after them as in the case on the Eastern Shore.
    Gun control should be focused on criminal activity and acquisition of firearms and not on the law abiding citizen.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    I love how such purchases are against the law prior to SB281.

Then are used as a basis to ramrod the more annoying parts of said law.

All the while they don't procesute straw purchases even when reported.

Joy :mad54:

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    It seems to me that with this statement, "Picked up handguns from Chesapeake Guns after 3 days in 2011?" in print no less that Chesapeake Guns has grounds to sue the Sunpaper and Rodricks for Libel. Put them out of print and do us all a favor.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Things in the story do not add up: Picked up handguns from Chesapeake Guns after 3 days in 2011?

The new law stops the straw purchaser how? (Trick question: it does not).

online link here:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/columnists/bs-md-rodricks-0208-20150208-column.html

The article didn't state that "handguns" were picked up after 3 days. Most likely the person was "delayed" by FBINICS on the long guns purchased (2 of them at that time according to the article along with one handgun, and the handgun musta' been picked up after the waiting period). That's my make of it regarding how the article was written.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The article didn't state that "handguns" were picked up after 3 days. Most likely the person was "delayed" by FBINICS on the long guns purchased (2 of them at that time according to the article along with one handgun, and the handgun musta' been picked up after the waiting period). That's my make of it regarding how the article was written.

Rodricks says he bought 3 guns, then "the guns" were picked up 3 days later and turned over to Welch, not 2 of the 3 guns. And, he bought a Marlin 10 days later. My guess is he bought the Marlin when he picked up the handgun, but that's not how its written: "the guns" he bought the 29th he picked up 3 days later, then he went back and bought a Marlin. I'd say Rodricks is as bad with details and the English language as he is with firearms law.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Rodricks says he bought 3 guns, then "the guns" were picked up 3 days later and turned over to Welch, not 2 of the 3 guns. And, he bought a Marlin 10 days later. My guess is he bought the Marlin when he picked up the handgun, but that's not how its written: "the guns" he bought the 29th he picked up 3 days later, then he went back and bought a Marlin. I'd say Rodricks is as bad with details and the English language as he is with firearms law.

I assumed the DOJ press release had a typo. I believe it was an MP15-22 rifle but was printed as MP5-22 which the author then misstates as a handgun. The purchaser was then delayed by NICS.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Read on.............

I assumed the DOJ press release had a typo. I believe it was an MP15-22 rifle but was printed as MP5-22 which the author then misstates as a handgun. The purchaser was then delayed by NICS.

I think this ^^^ might be it, a typo, MP5-22 instead of MP15-22.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well there is that too. But if they were all long guns the HQL and fingerprinting is irrelevant.

So: We aren't sure what he bought, when he picked them up, but sure the new law solves it, right?

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Well there is that too. But if they were all long guns the HQL and fingerprinting is irrelevant.

So: We aren't sure what he bought, when he picked them up, but sure the new law solves it, right?

Exactly. These gun control articles are exhausting because they never seem to be constrained by the facts. I've never seen an area of advocacy more prone to dishonesty and distortion than gun grabbers. :sad20:

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Exactly. These gun control articles are exhausting because they never seem to be constrained by the facts. I've never seen an area of advocacy more prone to dishonesty and distortion than gun grabbers. :sad20:

Well who is going to call them out except for those crazy gun nuts.

And for them the end justifies the means. Especially since the facts aren't on their side.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    He was doing well until he got to the last paragraph. Sure, fingerprinting, background checks, and training aren't an infringement on our liberty. Me, I think the greater threat to this country is stupid voters and illegal voters. Their influence is gargantuan in that they elect the people that make the laws. They can actually sink this country. So, we should require licenses to vote. To get the license, you have to pay a $50 fee, go through an extensive background check, go through extensive training to provide your brain with knowledge, and then take a test to show that you know how to use your brain.

If the moron that shot the two people over a parking spot had half a brain, he would not have pulled the trigger. If he had anything to lose by being sentenced to life in prison, he would not have pulled the trigger.

The problems in this country are way larger than guns and murder, but this is a good political point to obfuscate the real issues.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    That story has a number of facts in error. But how about instead of police spending time trying to determine if there were straw purchases in this case, we know that at lest one gun was stolen by the perp and one other was stolen some time before, we spend the police resources on finding who is stealing 1900+ guns in Maryland. Maybe if they would solve those cases before the stolen guns get sold illegally and lock up the gun stealers it would really do something to reduce the number of guns in criminal hands.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    That story has a number of facts in error. But how about instead of police spending time trying to determine if there were straw purchases in this case, we know that at lest one gun was stolen by the perp and one other was stolen some time before, we spend the police resources on finding who is stealing 1900+ guns in Maryland. Maybe if they would solve those cases before the stolen guns get sold illegally and lock up the gun stealers it would really do something to reduce the number of guns in criminal hands.

I'll go one better. Maybe if they spend the resources figuring out how to fix the crime problem in a manner where people do not feel the need to commit crime and steal from others, that would work out better. The problem is with the cesspools of America where people cannot make ends meet, where people cannot get a decent education, where people are raised by nothing that resembles a parents, where family is a foreign word, etc. The problem is much bigger than just locking up all the criminals, because you will never get all of them and they will continue to breed. Not only that, but after you lock them up, you need to feed them and pay to keep them locked up. Probably cheaper to keep them on welfare.

Nope, the million dollar question, the albatross around society's neck, is what the heck do we do with all these people that see no future for themselves other than one of welfare/crime? How do you solve that? How do you solve the issue where people see no future, no hope, for themselves such that they could care less about killing somebody and spending life in prison.

We spend way too many resources trying feed and house these people via welfare and then trying to arrest and contain these people in prison, instead of trying to teach them and provide them some type of future.

Time to get some sleep before I really start waxing philosophical.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    After seeing the laws that got passed in MD, I really no longer have a problem with straw purchases. I refuse to get a license to exercise a right. That leaves me with only a few options in this state when it comes to purchasing a handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom