• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obnoxious2

Jan 18, 2013
    district 21 - hunger games
    So I routinely head out to the summit point track for go karting and the occasion track day. I know there is a gun range across from the go kart but it looks like it is only used for competitive shooting. Does anyone know if it's an open range for anyone to shoot when it's not being used?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    No it is not open to the public. Plus when some motorsports events are on, the range is even closed for scheduled matches.
    Used to be that several companies armed security guards took their qualification tests there also but I don't think they do anymore.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    I coached a trackday on Shenandoah last year when some 3 letter agency was qualifying on the range right next to the keyhole before you head up the hill under the bridge. Felt like I was coaching in Baghdad. Very weird

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    What was the date of that? If it was a weekend it was likely a USPSA action pistol match.
    I have done a good bit of instructing at Summit over the years in cars in all 3 tracks. I have been an instructor for the BMWCCA, Shelby-American AC, Mazda RX-7 Club, and Mercedes Club. I have also have done some more official type instructing.

bn_bullet

Nov 15, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    The range facilities at Summit Point are very nice but to my knowledge are not open to the public; I have shot there recently. They sometimes hold training events on the range over weekends that may coincide with track events. The weekend I was there, a Motorcycle Excitement event was being held on the Shenandoah circuit. I am sure some of the racers were wondering what was going on over at the range. There was plenty of gunfire to get their attention...

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    The range facilities at Summit Point are very nice but to my knowledge are not open to the public; I have shot there recently. They sometimes hold training events on the range over weekends that may coincide with track events. The weekend I was there, a Motorcycle Excitement event was being held on the Shenandoah circuit. I am sure some of the racers were wondering what was going on over at the range. There was plenty of gunfire to get their attention...

I've held some drivers meetings at the Shenandoah track and told the drivers "hear that..(pointing to the direction of the gunshots).. We take rules infractions seriously and they will be dealt with accordingly."

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    jefferson circuit was designed for Secret Service driving classes. the test range is also for use by the secret service. occasionally you will hear automatic gunfire coming from there.
    That is also the reason there are so many crown vic in the parking lot by bridge course

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    They had three gun shoots there a couple years ago. I have not been since. But it is a nice facility, and there was a race of go-cart looking vehicles going on during the match.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom