• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    I wanna get faster on my draw and reload+shot time for competitions (when ever i can go to one freaking VA).they all look the same and they all generally have the same features. i dont wanna spend more than 150 on it does anyone have any suggestions?

glockwerkes

Aug 16, 2010
    CED 7000. Very reliable, mine has been in service for four years and going strong. The only argument against it is that the numbers are small and sometimes difficult to see in direct sunlight. This is where the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II shines. Very easy to see and read, the numbers are twice as big as the CED. I initially chose the CED for its size, as it's always in my range bag.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've seen CED 8000s fail on more than one occasion (and I've only seen a few of them in use.) The CED 7000s are nice, but the buzzer isn't really loud, they're not quite as ergonomic/user-friendly as CE's, and the lack of battery replacement is a real turn-off for me. The Competition Electronics Pro's are pretty common and seem to work well (although I've seen a couple of those fail as well, but that could be because they are so common.) The PACTs seem nice, but I've never used one.

Personally, I like the CE's best- Simple and easy to use. They may not have all of the features that the CED's have, but I like the ease of use.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    I have a CE Pocket Pro. I prefer them to the CEDs mostly for the buzzer sound. The CED is not as loud, and is higher pitch. If there's a lot of noise (like an open gun on the next bay over), or if you're double plugged, the CED beep is more prone to being drowned out.

The Pocket Pro's are also durable as heck. MPSA has been using a set of them since before I started shooting in 97 / 98, and they just refuse to die.

The CED does have more options and features, but I've not found myself missing any of them. YMMV.

Archangel

Jul 19, 2005
    Also, a little tip for people with pocket pros:

While the nice loud beep is good for cutting through your hearing pro, I've found it to be uncomfortably loud during dry fire. Particularly if, say, your 2yo daughter is trying to sleep right across the hall from where you're dry firing.

My solution was to put a piece of duct or electrical tape over the buzzer speaker. That brings the volume down to more comfortable levels. When you go live fire, just peel the tape off to go back to full volume.

I actually stick the tape on the bottom of the timer when it's not over the speaker, and move it back when I'm ready to go back to low volume. I think I've been using the same piece of tape for the last ~3 years.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I do a lot of rimfire shooting and from my experience the CE don't pick up rimfire rifles as well as the CED models do. Sometimes I have been at matches where we had to switch to my personal CED7000 from their CEs. I also like the CED for the neck strap that lets me put it there and use the 3 second delay to get my hands settled on the gun or get my hands is the correct position for the draw.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    zombie_thread_210.jpg

I'm between the CED7000 and the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro. The former looks like a giant iPod, the latter like a pager.

The only gripes I hear about the CED are that the beep isn't as loud as the Pocket Pro (can be an issue when doubling up on earpro) and the screen can be hard to read in sunlight and/or while wearing polarized sunglasses.

Similar price point too. I did see that if you buy 4 Pocket Pros on one site, you get a 5th free. Maybe we can do a small group buy if there are a few people interested...

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    + 1 for the CED 7000. I've owned them all.

RU Ready timer - the yellow one, is the loudest and is very tough, but lacks additional functions. Might be the cheapest too.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    You will get as many opinions as the number of folks you ask...

Pocket Pro; big, loud and simple. It REALLY doesn't like to get wet, zip Lock bags are your friends, field replaceable battery a plus.

CED 7000; smaller package (fits in pocket nicely), more durable, and has more features. the display is a little small for the score keeper to read over my shoulder, and I sometimes have trouble hearing the shrill tone.

I have adjusted the sensitivity of both to the point where they can pick up the action on a suppressed carbine.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You will get as many opinions as the number of folks you ask...

Pocket Pro; big, loud and simple. It REALLY doesn't like to get wet, zip Lock bags are your friends, field replaceable battery a plus.

CED 7000; smaller package (fits in pocket nicely), more durable, and has more features. the display is a little small for the score keeper to read over my shoulder, and I sometimes have trouble hearing the shrill tone.

I have adjusted the sensitivity of both to the point where they can pick up the action on a suppressed carbine.

Good to know. I didn't even think of suppressed fire. I have a .308 can and .300-221 and 5.56 host uppers (with more down the road), would be good to have that ability.

Thanks for the input.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Pocket Pros are harder to walk off with, and have bigger buttons for the fat fingered S.O. to work. Plus I think the buzzer sounds better than the high pitched beep of the 7000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom