• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Break Free does not do much copper removal.
    I never said it did. He asked what you used to clean your barrel after you stated in the below quote about not removing copper. So I told him what I use, no harm, no foul.
    Unless accuracy is suffering, you shouldn't be removing copper. Most people who complain about cleaning, clean too much. I mean it's your gun do what you want, but unless you are cleaning for a reason you are wasting time. Wipe out takes me about 10 minutes and I'm back to shooting tiny groups, and that's after many hundreds of rounds.

I like break free, used it while in the military, I see no need to break tradition. YMMV.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I never said it did. He asked what you used to clean your barrel after you stated in the below quote about not removing copper. So I told him what I use, no harm, no foul.

It's cool, I just wanted to let him know since he was worried about copper fouling.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    while not as quick as a foaming copper specializing bore cleaner, ballistol works well.

If left in the bore it will completely dissolve copper over time, and after a very short time will loosen it to the point that patches will push it out

I once had a scare when I patched my bore with it for storage and came back to find green crap all in the bore.

When looking down the bore I thought the bore was pitted to shit, it looked terrible

Put a patch through that came out statue of liberty verdigris and the bore was IMMACULATE. So yeah, it works. I've had great success by leaving it over night and then running a bore snake through, although most of the guns I shoot regularly have nitrided bores now, and just regular cleaning seems to remove copper well enough that I've never had a problem or felt the need to do special cleaning.

I know I harp on it a lot, but as an ex die hard chromium fan-boy, take it from me, Melonite is the future

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    CFE223 is where its at. I started loading .308 with it as well, recently switching from varget.

Every know and then I'll grab some of my rifles, send Wipe Out down the the barrels, let them all sit overnight and clean them in the morning.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    CFE223 will meter nicely in a progressive. So does H335. Varget has very good consistency in varied outside temperatures. They each have their pros and cons. I am thinking the copper removal thing is mostly marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom