• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooterMcGee

Dec 31, 2012
    Also, instead of buying a cheap shotgun, just spend some time at PG and rent shotguns.

See what you like, and if you like the game. If not, you are not out much in rental fees. If you like it, then shop for a decent shotgun.

I definitely plan on taking both a 725 and a Silver pigeon through some sporting clays at PG when I have a day off. That way I can compare those 2.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Speaking of budget, you're right on the cusp of moving from a good gun to a great gun. If you could be closer to $2500 you'll have a better variety. That will include some decent used CG's.

I actually picked up a 12 ga CG Magnus (albeit, the field gun, not the trap version) for $2500 off Gunbroker. It's a $4100 gun new and it was in very nice shape and looked barely fired.

Last edited:

Nimrod

"NOT DISAPPROVED"
    Mar 22, 2011
    Montgomery County
    My whole family uses O/Us. My father and brother both use Winchester 101s, which Winchester recently started making again, and I wish I had one! My uncle always preferred a Ruger Red Label which was good for just about everything. I have been using a Fabarm Black Lion and a Franchi Falconette, both of which are no longer made. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new gun and I am pretty much in the same boat as the OP. Still tire-kicking... I don't know if you ever make it up to Henderschott's in Hagerstown, but they have an excellent selection of O/Us in stock. Bass Pro may have a bunch as well - I haven't been there in a few years. Cabela's in Hamburg PA has a huge gun library. I would handle as many as you can, and shoot the ones on your short list before buying... They all handle differently and you might want to keep notes as some of the differences are very subtle...

Anyway, hope that helps...

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My whole family uses O/Us. My father and brother both use Winchester 101s, which Winchester recently started making again, and I wish I had one! My uncle always preferred a Ruger Red Label which was good for just about everything. I have been using a Fabarm Black Lion and a Franchi Falconette, both of which are no longer made. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new gun and I am pretty much in the same boat as the OP. Still tire-kicking... I don't know if you ever make it up to Henderschott's in Hagerstown, but they have an excellent selection of O/Us in stock. Bass Pro may have a bunch as well - I haven't been there in a few years. Cabela's in Hamburg PA has a huge gun library. I would handle as many as you can, and shoot the ones on your short list before buying... They all handle differently and you might want to keep notes as some of the differences are very subtle...

Anyway, hope that helps...

BArt's in Glen Burnie....and he does shotgun fitting if you would want him to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom