• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I shoot piston SBRs suppressed. Stuff gets dirty. Is there something I can just dunk parts in to clean? Not like anthing is caked on, so a soaking could be effective. Is there some cheap stuff I could drop the BCG parts in? Beyond that, it would fun to be able to take off the grip/stock and drop the whole lower in there for a bit on occasion.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Field strip BCG, wipe it down, inspect gas rings, check gas key with weed eater line for obstructions, reassemble, apply gear grease on the four bearing surfaces and a dab inside the bolt lug hole, dip assembled BCG into a jar of synthetic motor oil all the way up and over the rear of the firing pin, let excess drip off. While that happens, wipe out inside of upper receiver, wipe a coat of grease on the inside of the charging handle then insert handle and BCG back into the upper. Notice I did NOT say scrape any carbon from any part of the BCG or gun in general. Compressed air is the easiest way to clean out the lower.

flintstone

Jan 1, 2013
    Perry Hall MD
    Field strip BCG, wipe it down, inspect gas rings, check gas key with weed eater line for obstructions, reassemble, apply gear grease on the four bearing surfaces and a dab inside the bolt lug hole, dip assembled BCG into a jar of synthetic motor oil all the way up and over the rear of the firing pin, let excess drip off. While that happens, wipe out inside of upper receiver, wipe a coat of grease on the inside of the charging handle then insert handle and BCG back into the upper. Notice I did NOT say scrape any carbon from any part of the BCG or gun in general. Compressed air is the easiest way to clean out the lower.

Sounds familiar, you've been indoctrinated at SOTAR:cool:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    How do you get burnt grease and carbon off of kitchen things? I've found some hot water, soap, and a toothbrush can be pretty effective at getting the majority of crap off a bcg. It's relatively gentle on things and just lube when done.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Ultrasonic cleaner with simple green. Get it REAL hot and drop the parts in. Don't put anything in that is aluminum. Run the ultrasonic cleaner for 4-5 runs. Take out the parts and wire bush any caked on carbon and throw it back in for another run or two. When it's done cleaning take it out of the hot water, dry it with paper towels and let it air dry. When cool use compressed air to dry it again and get ALL of the water out of it.

Wipe out the upper, and use an AR-15 bore brush for the chamber. Blow out the lower with compressed air. If it's really bad, some break/mass air flow cleaner works well but don't get it on your grips.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Quoted for posterity.:D

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Ultrasonic cleaner with simple green. Get it REAL hot and drop the parts in. Don't put anything in that is aluminum. Run the ultrasonic cleaner for 4-5 runs. Take out the parts and wire bush any caked on carbon and throw it back in for another run or two. When it's done cleaning take it out of the hot water, dry it with paper towels and let it air dry. When cool use compressed air to dry it again and get ALL of the water out of it.

Wipe out the upper, and use an AR-15 bore brush for the chamber. Blow out the lower with compressed air. If it's really bad, some break/mass air flow cleaner works well but don't get it on your grips.

I use Simple Green Pro HD which is safe for aluminum parts and can be found at Lowes and Home Depot. http://simplegreen.com/products/pro-hd-cleaner-degreaser/

skunkworks

Sep 27, 2014
    CLP, AP Brush, Patches, Pipe Cleaners and some Elbow Grease...

(Synthetic oil works well too)

Going to agree with Gunny here. I've never seen a bcg, or other rifle part that couldn't be cleaned with clp, ap brush, and a rag. I've also used Remington cleaner, slip 2000, frog lube, etc. Even after hundreds or rounds between cleanings didn't have trouble. I've always believed that keeping up with some preventive maintenance helps a lot too.

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    Some kind of cleaner (clp, frog lube, hoppes....whatever you use) and a nylon brush. Wipe off with a rag and lubricate. Every 1-2 thousand rounds I'll dig out the carbon scraper. Use a qtip/pipe cleaner for any hard to reach spots.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Yes, same thing I use. But it did discolor the blue aluminum slide release on my Stoeger MK3 so I would still use caution on aluminum parts.

I haven't noticed that yet but thinking back I don't know if I have ever soaked an aluminum part. I use the same solution as my solvent which does end up on aluminum parts. I should also note I dilute it as well.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I shoot piston SBRs suppressed. Stuff gets dirty. Is there something I can just dunk parts in to clean? Not like anthing is caked on, so a soaking could be effective. Is there some cheap stuff I could drop the BCG parts in? Beyond that, it would fun to be able to take off the grip/stock and drop the whole lower in there for a bit on occasion.

So I run a piston gun, not suppressed.

Where is your carbon building up? I get carbon on the piston, the spring, in the cylinder, and on the cylinder head. Most of it comes off easy, I wire brush the piston. All other piston parts are just brushed with ballistol and they come clean.

The upper stays relatively clean to the point I don't need to clean it, just wipe it down. The bcg has some carbon on face of the bolt, and some inside the bcg but not enough to warrant any major regular cleaning effort.

I am curious what gets so dirty with suppression that you feel the need to soak?

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    So I run a piston gun, not suppressed.

Where is your carbon building up? I get carbon on the piston, the spring, in the cylinder, and on the cylinder head. Most of it comes off easy, I wire brush the piston. All other piston parts are just brushed with ballistol and they come clean.

The upper stays relatively clean to the point I don't need to clean it, just wipe it down. The bcg has some carbon on face of the bolt, and some inside the bcg but not enough to warrant any major regular cleaning effort.

I am curious what gets so dirty with suppression that you feel the need to soak?

Blowback during ejection maybe?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Blowback during ejection maybe?

Maybe. My Stag 8 runs very clean except for the 'up front' parts that get caked after heavy use.

It is not difficult to clean. I would say a bit easier. However, I am a DI convert now, and I don't HAVE to clean my AR, just make sure it stays lubed. Chad told me I could.... ;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you really want to strip and dip, I'd suggest something like marvel mystery oil and a narrow mason jar. It is a mild cleanser and lubricant. Basically cleanser and mineral oil mixed. Let it drip "dry" and then do the grease/motor oil soak when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom