• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    All training must begin with fundamentals. This comprehensive fundamentals class is designed to prep you for the more advanced courses such as Close Range Gunfighting. Through a carefully designed and detailed curriculum we are able to bring you up to a level of skill in a short two day class that previously would take over 4 or 5 days to achieve at other schools.

You will learn a complete presentation of the modern combative technique of the pistol which will put you in good standing for any defensive situations you may encounter in the real world. No experience or prior training is needed to attend this class and it is specially suitable for beginners, or as a tune-up for accomplished shooters.

This course is being offered July 14 and 15 at a facility near Winchester, VA, only about a 2.5 hour drive from Baltimore. If you have ever thought about getting training in how to prevail in a gunfight, or if you have skills and prior training, but are a little rusty, this is a good starting point. You can get more information and register here.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    I took this in '10 and was very pleased with both the instruction and the facility.

It was OMG hot the days I took it and the location (about the same time of year), in a valley, kept the breezes from helping much. I heartily recommend bringing more fluids than you think you'll need and your own shade in the form of an easy-up if at all possible.

I also recommend the Marriott right on Rt50 in Winchester. It was a few $'s more but closer and nicer than the competition. Oh, and if you're a smurf like myself (and not the least bit asian-looking), you may also be assumed to be Korean and seated with the tour group for breakfast... and then complimented on your excellent English by the staff. Fortunately, I avoided being herded onto the bus.

And don't do what I did with another class over there, and drive 3 hours the morning of. You won't be at your sharpest and you will not get as much out of the course. Go the night prior, and maybe drive to the range the evening before just so you aren't caught out the next morning. It's a bit remote.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Excellent advice, Randy. I have some other tidbits of advice too for those who are interested. The driving directions have been somewhat refined in the last year or 2.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    The driving directions have been somewhat refined in the last year or 2.
    Cool. The directions were perfectly clear once I was taking them. They just raised a "say what?!" when I first saw them.
    From pics, it looks as though the site itself has seen some development in the last few years as well. :party29:

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Absolutely. They've added a rifle range and a 360 degree range which we use in some of the more advanced classes. They are also considering adding a 300 yard range, or longer. If that happens, I'll see if we can bring the sniper class to the area.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Maybe we can get one of Pat Rogers' guys to join the thread and really make it fun?

Jack, since most of us don't know you from Adam, how about some more info on yourself? Your bio on the website seems a little thin beyond Suarez International. I like to know who wants me to spend my money and time on their training courses or school. Don't want to get involved with some kind of Front Sight type operation or questionable characters with all the fraud going on in the training industry.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Oy vey....I'm not sure what just happened here, but it's done.

I'll go back to working with my other children now......

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Jack, since most of us don't know you from Adam, how about some more info on yourself? Your bio on the website seems a little thin beyond Suarez International. I like to know who wants me to spend my money and time on their training courses or school. Don't want to get involved with some kind of Front Sight type operation or questionable characters with all the fraud going on in the training industry.

Fair enough, Huckleberry. First off, this is not Jack Rumbaugh, who was Suarez International's instructor for this region. (ETA: Jack is now national director of training) My name is Dan Choi, and after I get a few things squared away, I will see about changing my user name and updating my bio. I joined Suarez International as a tier 3 instructor. That means I am currently certified to teach the basic level courses for them. I will initially be offering Introduction to Defensive Pistol, Defensive Pistol Skills (DPS), Fighting Rifle Skills (FRS), and possibly Point Shooting Gunfight Skills (PSGS). I will also be looking into being certified to teach Trauma Medicine for CCW (TMCO). Now, before certain people go all ballistic about what kind of certification I have to teach trauma medicine and what taking that kind of course certifies a person to do, etc, let me clarify that. I am a licensed and board certified physician as well as a firearms instructor. The course was designed by Dr. John Meade, another physician who is also a SWAT member in Alabama (I believe) with assistance from Sua Sponte, a combat medic, among other things. Dr. Meade's bio can be found on the Suarez International website. TMCO does not certify you to become a medic or EMT. It teaches civilians (and others as well) the skills needed to survive being shot in a gunfight. The course description can be found here.

Suarez International has been around for a while. You can see more about the company here.

As for me, I am a Baltimore native. I've been a member here on MDS since 2007, but I lurk more than I post. I try not to get involved in the petty arguments that seem to be more and more common. I've been a member of Continental Arms since before Jimmy bought the place, since that was the closest range to where I lived. Before that, I was a member of Duffy's gun range, if any of you remember that place. I am also a member at Free State. I am pretty good friends with Jeep Driver, Gibby, and Sgt Psycho. I recently met clandestine face to face (finally) after picking his brain for a while online. He's currently working on my latest rifle for me. ETA: I also know 2A's father-in-law. We work together, so to speak.

I took some classes here and there, but only seriously got into training in the last 5 years. I found Suarez International not long after that. The training they provided me resonated with what real life is like more than any other school. To me, a gunfight is more like a good force on force session with simunitions or airsoft than punching holes in a paper target on a square range. Some other schools pay lip service teaching you to move one or two steps while shooting in a perfect Weaver stance. This is not the same as exploding off the "X" dynamically while drawing and nailing COM hits at the same time. That's what got me started down this road, and now I want to bring what I have learned to others.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Knew it wasn't Gabe and I guess you can accuse me of not knowing Jack either:D
    Hope I didn't imply anything. :D Wasn't my intent. I was just chiming in on something with which I'm both familiar and happy to have experienced.

I think you can learn plenty about SI from their site that was linked in the OP. Looks like Dan's one of their instructors now. Jack, who looks to be the lead instructor, is SI's director of training and has been in the business for quite a while. I consider him a very good instructor, firearm-related or otherwise.

As for anyone having explaining to do, to anyone other than Norton, in this thread.... I dunno.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Fair enough, Huckleberry. First off, this is not Jack Rumbaugh, who is Suarez International's instructor for this region. My name is Dan Choi, and after I get a few things squared away, I will see about changing my user name and updating my bio. I joined Suarez International as a tier 3 instructor. That means I am currently certified to teach the basic level courses for them. I will initially be offering Introduction to Defensive Pistol, Defensive Pistol Skills (DPS), Fighting Rifle Skills (FRS), and possibly Point Shooting Gunfight Skills (PSGS). I will also be looking into being certified to teach Trauma Medicine for CCW (TMCO). Now, before certain people go all ballistic about what kind of certification I have to teach trauma medicine and what taking that kind of course certifies a person to do, etc, let me clarify that. I am a licensed and board certified physician as well as a firearms instructor. The course was designed by Dr. John Meade, another physician who is also a SWAT member in Alabama (I believe) with assistance from Sua Sponte, a combat medic, among other things. Dr. Meade's bio can be found on the Suarez International website. TMCO does not certify you to become a medic or EMT. It teaches civilians (and others as well) the skills needed to survive being shot in a gunfight. The course description can be found here.

Suarez International has been around for a while. You can see more about the company here.

As for me, I am a Baltimore native. I've been a member here on MDS since 2007, but I lurk more than I post. I try not to get involved in the petty arguments that seem to be more and more common. I've been a member of Continental Arms since before Jimmy bought the place, since that was the closest range to where I lived. Before that, I was a member of Duffy's gun range, if any of you remember that place. I am also a member at Free State. I am pretty good friends with Jeep Driver, Gibby, and Sgt Psycho. I recently met clandestine face to face (finally) after picking his brain for a while online. He's currently working on my latest rifle for me. ETA: I also know 2A's father-in-law. We work together, so to speak.

I took some classes here and there, but only seriously got into training in the last 5 years. I found Suarez International not long after that. The training they provided me resonated with what real life is like more than any other school. To me, a gunfight is more like a good force on force session with simunitions or airsoft than punching holes in a paper target on a square range. Some other schools pay lip service teaching you to move one or two steps while shooting in a perfect Weaver stance. This is not the same as exploding off the "X" dynamically while drawing and nailing COM hits at the same time. That's what got me started down this road, and now I want to bring what I have learned to others.
    :party29:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    ..... with assistance from Sua Sponte, a combat medic, among other things.

Wikipedia - Sua Sponte

In law, sua sponte (Latin: "of his, her, its or their own accord.") describes an act of authority taken without formal prompting from another party

That's kinda funny....does someone really call themselves that?

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Wikipedia - Sua Sponte

In law, sua sponte (Latin: "of his, her, its or their own accord.") describes an act of authority taken without formal prompting from another party

That's kinda funny....does someone really call themselves that?

Yes, it's his user name. It also happens to be the Ranger motto, " of their own accord."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom