• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vladimir_taltos

May 12, 2009
    Finksburg
    Had to get over my embarrassment of asking this, but if you don't know you don't know...

Chokes thread into the barrel, does the barrel need to be threaded? How are the damn things attached?

:confused:

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    I am not an expert on this, but I would say yes, the barrel is threaded to accept the choke tubes.

If you have a barrel that accepts choke tubes (i.e. not a rifled barrel or fixed cylinder bore), you should not fire it with no choke tube installed, in theory, it would damage the threading.

Edit: I could just check by removing the barrel off my Rem 870 tactical but I'm feeling a bit lazy right now. Maybe later. :P

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Choke tubes have very fine male thread, and thread into the corresponding female thread inside the muzzle. They are treated with an anti-seize lubricant, then firmly tightened into the bore with a wrench designed for this purpose.

The thread pattern and lengths,. etc look similar, but many are uniquely proprietary and will not interchange.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yes, the choke threads into the muzzle. The threads must be protected, if they strip you basically need the barrel re-cut for chokes, or need a new barrel. I ALWAYS put a drop of oil on the threads when changing choke tubes. As far as firing without a choke inserted, not only can the threads get damaged, or filled with plastic and lead fouling, but there is a danger the barrel can split, when the muzzle is reamed and threaded for chokes, it is vey thin at the muzzle, and the choke tube itself takes the brunt of the pressure as the shot cup or slug passes through it, witout the choke you have a steel tube about as thick as a cookie sheet holding back a few thousand PSI. It is also easier to bend or dent it, so stre the gun with a choke tube inserted

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Choke tubes have very fine male thread, and thread into the corresponding female thread inside the muzzle. They are treated with an anti-seize lubricant, then firmly tightened into the bore with a wrench designed for this purpose.

The thread pattern and lengths,. etc look similar, but many are uniquely proprietary and will not interchange.

I was always told "finger tight" I'm no shotgunner by any means, just sayin'. Am I wrong?

vladimir_taltos

May 12, 2009
    Finksburg
    Got it. So I need to get the barrel threaded or replace it with one that is and will accept the choke.

Thanks for the input, and the education!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Got it. So I need to get the barrel threaded or replace it with one that is and will accept the choke.

Thanks for the input, and the education!

Well, what shotgun and what barrel? For years barrels came with a fixed choke and if you shot different game you would have several different barrels. That could and would eat $$$.

Check your gun and see if the barrel is threaded for a choke and the choke is just seized and stuck.

Sometimes buying a new threaded barrel with choke tubes will be cheaper than sending an old barrel out.

vladimir_taltos

May 12, 2009
    Finksburg
    It's for a 870. I wanted to put a carlson's tactical breach choke on it. Plus I needed the education on choke basics. At least now I can say I learned something today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom