• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Hey guys, My friend is getting a DPMS AR15. Unfortunately he lives with his mother who is not fond of firearms. He would like me to store it in my safe for him, obviously I have no qualms with another piece of safe candy. The question is, is this ok? Should I take any special precautions or have his paperwork? Not planning on any run ins with the law, but better safe than sorry.

Couldn't find any other threads through the search function but sorry if this has been asked before.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hey guys, My friend is getting a DPMS AR15. Unfortunately he lives with his mother who is not fond of firearms. He would like me to store it in my safe for him, obviously I have no qualms with another piece of safe candy. The question is, is this ok? Should I take any special precautions or have his paperwork? Not planning on any run ins with the law, but better safe than sorry.

Couldn't find any other threads through the search function but sorry if this has been asked before.

It is legal to lend regulated firearms to a friend who is not prohibited from having one......

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Might be a good idea to draft and have him sign a 'loan agreement' and get it notorized at your local bank (they'll do it for free of you have an account).

Then there would be no question about ownership should something happen that required that kind information.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Might be a good idea to draft and have him sign a 'loan agreement' and get it notorized at your local bank (they'll do it for free of you have an account).

Then there would be no question about ownership should something happen that required that kind information.

Both parties signing the agreement should suffice.

The notary, only verifies signatures.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    A document would be advisable, in the rare event that the safe is compromised. But that's true of any valuable item.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    It is legal to lend regulated firearms to a friend who is not prohibited from having one......

Exactly. Anyone here know what would make someone prohibited from possessing a firearm? :sad20:
    For example:
    (1) Would a resisting arrest conviction from 1980 be OK?
    (2) How about a misdemeanor assault convcition from 1990?
    (3) Telephone misuse from 2009?

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Exactly. Anyone here know what would make someone prohibited from possessing a firearm? :sad20:
    For example:

I'll take a stab at this...

(1) Does not prohibit possession, unless a firearm was somehow involved in the resisting of arrest.
    (2) Does prohibit possession; while it is a misdemeanor, it is a violent conviction.
    (3) It depends. If the individual was subjected to mental health services, then possession is prohibited.

How'd I do?

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    For example:

All or any of the above will get you "Denied" or "Delayed" by the background check. Any domestic violence from any era will almost certainly prevent you from buying or owning a weapon for the rest of your life.

So kiss your wife or girlfriend lovingly each and every night. :party29:

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    All or any of the above will get you "Denied" or "Delayed" by the background check. Any domestic violence from any era will almost certainly prevent you from buying or owning a weapon for the rest of your life.

Or just finish the job :evilgrin3

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I'll take a stab at this...

(1) Does not prohibit possession, unless a firearm was somehow involved in the resisting of arrest.
    (2) Does prohibit possession; while it is a misdemeanor, it is a violent conviction.
    (3) It depends. If the individual was subjected to mental health services, then possession is prohibited.

How'd I do?

One out of three, but that's probably average. All (if charged in MD) carry a max. penalty of >2 years incarceration, so a conviction is prohibiting for all three.
    The 1990 battery is common law so the maximum penalty is anything "not cruel and unusual" so in essence, > 2 years max. potentially.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007

Impressive. :)
    Good advice on all counts.

Tractorguy1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 27, 2011
    If you do not plan on shooting it, I would have him put a trigger lock on it and sign something that basically says that if all or part of your collection were stolen he would not hold you liable.Put it in the back of the safe and be done with it, hold onto it like a good friend.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    What is "telephone misuse"?

2010 Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 3 - OTHER CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON
    Subtitle 8 - Stalking and Harassment
    Section 3-804 - Misuse of telephone facilities and equipment.
    Share|
    § 3-804. Misuse of telephone facilities and equipment.

(a) Prohibited.- A person may not use telephone facilities or equipment to make:
    (1) an anonymous call that is reasonably expected to annoy, abuse, torment, harass, or embarrass another;
    (2) repeated calls with the intent to annoy, abuse, torment, harass, or embarrass another; or
    (3) a comment, request, suggestion, or proposal that is obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, or indecent.
    (b) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $500 or both.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    K31 will be along shortly telling you to have him ditch the mother.....

Screw that, I'll do it... It's time for your loser friend to move out of his mother's basement and get a life.

No AR for him until he's man enough to move out of mom's basement.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Screw that, I'll do it... It's time for your loser friend to move out of his mother's basement and get a life.

No AR for him until he's man enough to move out of mom's basement.

He should start with a car first lol. He did try buying a car from a used dealership a couple months ago but it clunked out on him literally within 24hrs, returned it and never tried again :shrug:

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    One out of three, but that's probably average.

Not bad! hah

He should start with a car first lol. He did try buying a car from a used dealership a couple months ago but it clunked out on him literally within 24hrs, returned it and never tried again :shrug:

Ouch... for what it's worth, I've bought used cars from Keene Chevy in Paradise, PA (up on Rt. 30 near Lancaster); nothing but great cars, excellent/flexible service, and a very good price. The last one I bought, they let me take it for a 4-day weekend to see how it ran and if I liked it. I put 450 miles on it before buying, they fixed three small problems I found, and they still gave me a 30-day/1500-mile 50/50 warranty after purchase.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Not bad! hah

Ouch... for what it's worth, I've bought used cars from Keene Chevy in Paradise, PA (up on Rt. 30 near Lancaster); nothing but great cars, excellent/flexible service, and a very good price. The last one I bought, they let me take it for a 4-day weekend to see how it ran and if I liked it. I put 450 miles on it before buying, they fixed three small problems I found, and they still gave me a 30-day/1500-mile 50/50 warranty after purchase.

Wow, that's good salesmanship. Yea I felt so bad for him, comes over to my house first thing, very nice looking Ford Focus, all proud of himself. We take it out, he's shifting gears and the transitions start getting rough. Have it parked infront of my house and it felt like the motor was going to shake right out from under the car. I figured hey maybe it's just bad motor mounts but then he couldn't get it to shift out of 1st gear. Junk after 18 hours of ownership :sad20:

But this is kind of offtopic. Thanks for all the answers guys, I'll see if I can write something up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom