• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yes, but its an anti-static plastic container. Loaded w/ carbon or some other conductive material. Not a good idea to put BP in a run of the mill plastic container like tupperware.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I buy it in paper bags.....Need to transfer to another container

.....Well it that case.....;)

I can see the need to transfer.

Wondering if a call to GOEX would help. I'm sure they would have some good ideas to keep the powder and you safe.

When in doubt, call the manufacturer.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I saved empty metal one pound GOEX cans and transferred powder from the paper bags into the metal cans. Thus the powder is still in the correct container.

When I was a bachelor, I punched holes in the lid of one old GOEX can, filled it with pepper, and kept it on my stove as a kitchen pepper shaker. Wonder whatever happened to that pepper shaker?

Otherwise, why not leave it in the paper bag? Just store the bag carefully.

I would not transfer it into an improper container, though.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    This is indeed very important. About 10 years ago a friend of mine blew his house in Woodlawn off of it's foundation as he was pouring powder out of a plastic jug. He died & the house burned to the ground.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    get some clean ammo cans , store it in those .

How about the metal containers you buy for the kitchen for stuff like flour and sugar ...........

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

How about the metal containers you buy for the kitchen for stuff like flour and sugar ...........

DO NOT DO THAT.

Original containers are designed to pop open harmlessly in a fire.

Smokeless or black powder in an ammo can will become a bomb in the event of a fire.

I'm pretty sure MD law even specifically requires that BP and smokeless powder must be stored in their original containers.

Edit: found it here: http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gps/11-105.html

(d) (1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.
    (2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

As I said, the original containers are engineered to pop open harmlessly in a fire, as long as they are not otherwise confined.

What's wrong with the paper bag? I've kept black powder in the original paper bag I bought it in for years. Paper bag or transferred into a Black Powder can, it stays in the proper container with no problem.

Just don't leave it where the roof leaks.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    How about one of those Quaker Oats cylindrical cardboard containers?
    I'm pretty sure MD law even specifically requires that BP and smokeless powder must be stored in their original containers.

Edit: found it here: http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2005/gps/11-105.html

(d) (1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

DO NOT DO THAT.

Smokeless or black powder in an ammo can will become a bomb in the event of a fire.

What's wrong with the paper bag? I've kept black powder in the original paper bag I bought it in for years. Paper bag or transferred into a Black Powder can, it stays in the proper container with no problem.

What Threeband said, no metal and no glass for the same reason.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    I put mine in a 50 cal ammo can, air tight. The E.O.D. guys I work with put small amounts of Explosives in 50 cal cans.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    DO NOT DO THAT.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

As I said, the original containers are engineered to pop open harmlessly in a fire, as long as they are not otherwise confined.

Exactly. This is why the National Fire Code specifies a wooden box with 1" sides for amounts of powder <= 20lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom