• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ahmiv

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 17, 2018
    About a year ago I purchased a 1950s Australian SLR built on a DSA lower receiver from Duffy's. It was priced at $3500, which was very steep even though they are hard to find in MD. I knew about the whole inch vs metric debacle with MD banning, and they informed me these were perfectly legal to own. I took a good portion of my collection there, expecting to walk out with the gun and maybe even some cash too. They completely shafted me on the guns giving me pennies on the dollar for them, but I settled and ended up paying $900 for the SLR. Lo and behold, I take the gun out multiple times and the rifle refuses to cycle and eject rounds upon firing, rendering it a straight pull rifle. I tried all the gas settings, cleaned it completely, and lubed it up. Next time still the same thing. I was planning on taking it to a gunsmith because my RSO mentioned it might be something with the gas rings on the bolt being worn out. The other day i decided i just wanted to get rid of it so I took it to Continental arms, and they wanted nothing to do with it. I then took it to Gunbunker south, and they seemed interested until they went onto the Maryland registry and found out that the rifle is illegal to own in MD due to parts being interchangeable with Belgian FALs. I then hurriedly took it to Pennsylvania to sell it off to get rid of it. Duffy's has done this before when they were selling CETME Ls a year or two ago. They will sell you grey area firearms that aren't specifically approved or banned on the MD registry. Now if you buy one of these and they end up illegal you are breaking the law. These guys are shafters and skirters of the law and only care about making a quick buck. STEER CLEAR OF THEM.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    About a year ago I purchased a 1950s Australian SLR built on a DSA lower receiver from Duffy's. It was priced at $3500, which was very steep even though they are hard to find in MD. I knew about the whole inch vs metric debacle with MD banning, and they informed me these were perfectly legal to own. I took a good portion of my collection there, expecting to walk out with the gun and maybe even some cash too. They completely shafted me on the guns giving me pennies on the dollar for them, but I settled and ended up paying $900 for the SLR. Lo and behold, I take the gun out multiple times and the rifle refuses to cycle and eject rounds upon firing, rendering it a straight pull rifle. I tried all the gas settings, cleaned it completely, and lubed it up. Next time still the same thing. I was planning on taking it to a gunsmith because my RSO mentioned it might be something with the gas rings on the bolt being worn out. The other day i decided i just wanted to get rid of it so I took it to Continental arms, and they wanted nothing to do with it. I then took it to Gunbunker south, and they seemed interested until they went onto the Maryland registry and found out that the rifle is illegal to own in MD due to parts being interchangeable with Belgian FALs. I then hurriedly took it to Pennsylvania to sell it off to get rid of it. Duffy's has done this before when they were selling CETME Ls a year or two ago. They will sell you grey area firearms that aren't specifically approved or banned on the MD registry. Now if you buy one of these and they end up illegal you are breaking the law. These guys are shafters and skirters of the law and only care about making a quick buck. STEER CLEAR OF THEM.
    Did you check if the gas was cut off?
    Not talking of gas settings.
    There is an option to cut off the gas to launch rifle grenades or at the commanders discretion to conserve ammo.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The inch pattern rifles are legal to own. They are not a copy of an FAL as they do not have totally interchangeable parts.

Did you try talking to Duffys before you flamed them here? Accusing a shop of breaking the law is a hell of a lot more than a bad customer service experience

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    As you your complaint on what they paid you for your rifles 1) they have to make a profit and 2) you could've said no. So you'll get no sympathy on that count. You agreed to it.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    … giving me pennies on the dollar for them, …

^That^ re-percolated my memory of an old and dear Bullseye (err, Precision Pistol) shooting friend‘s Hammerli 203’s … when he passed untimely (putting it mildly) I purposely resisted the itch to reach out to his son about the incredible collection of custom-built and tuned 38Spl 1911’s, etc. that had suddenly been inherited …

Surely,” I thought, “the adult lad has some idea of what he has inherited …

Been two decades and I still wince and can hear the son over the phone, relaying how he had “traded that Curtis custom 38 wad 1911 this or Hammerli that” for things like NAA .500 caliber revolvers.

Hurt even more to soon learn those in turn were also sold for fractions of their worth because, “they hurt to shoot” and ammo was too hard-to-fInd

Sigh …..

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Did you try talking to Duffys before you flamed them here? Accusing a shop of breaking the law is a hell of a lot more than a bad customer service experience
    They are an IP here so you shouldn’t be bitching unless you have talked to them. Haven’t heard much from them since all the Covid shit started though.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Hoo Boy!
    Where to start.
    Did you check if the gas was cut off?
    Not talking of gas settings.
    The gas plug can be inserted in 2 positions, Gas ON, or Gas OFF. It is marked in various ways with different plugs but you can just pop the plug out & look at it for your variant.
    Most common ways are "A" facing up, or the "V Notch facing UP.
    my RSO mentioned it might be something with the gas rings on the bolt being worn out.
    That would be amazing as there aren't any!
    I don't know where you got the FAL is not legal, but the L1A1 s from but a 3 minute search on here got the correct answer multiple times. Essentially boiled down to

All FAL based rifles (with the possible exception of DSA) are licensed patterns of the FN-FAL, that includes REAL L1A1s, R1A1s, FALOs, etc. As such, they are, despite local nomenclature, FALs.
    Did you ask on here or somewhere similar, about the gas?
    Seriously, yes you overpaid.
    Without knowing what our collection was & what condition it was in I can't speak to the trade in prices.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Saved for posterity.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    OP is opening himself up to legal issues if he’s incorrect. That’s a huge accusation.
    Jon, I was thinking the same thing, i know if someone slandered my company and lied i would want to proceed with a legal claim.

Legal disclaimer: i don't know these facts and who is right or wrong.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ahmiv,

Hi, one of the moderators here. In your first post, you've accused an established business of selling you an illegal and/ or defective weapon. Now, provide proof.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I've never had a problem with Duffy's. Bought multiple guns from them over the years and used them for transfers too. They are one of the few shops that has been willing to fight for us and find things that are legal by the letter of the law. Their one of my preferred shops.

As for trade-in values, I've never heard any gun shop offer anywhere near retail values for something taken in trade. Best case you put something on consignment and the shop takes a 10-15% cut. For a trade you should expect 20-40% below retail depending on how desirable the item is for resale. Nobody is going to give you top dollar for something that may sit in their case for 6 months.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom