• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    Stealth Arms 80% 1911 Complete Kit Review and PROMO CODE

I just received one of Stealth Arms complete 80% 1911 kits and I thought you guys deserve to see what exactly you get. First off I have to say I am blown away by the presentation and quality of the parts. I have not built the gun yet but just from playing around with it a little bit, there should be almost no fitting required; not to mention it looks BAD ASS. I will admit I was a little worried about what I would be getting for the price but after receiving it I feel that it is worth every penny; I'll never order a Sarco or RIA kit again.

When I called Stealth arms, they told me that they would activate another promo code for everyone to use; it is "MDSTEALTH16". It should give you 10% off your order. I am not sure how long it will be good for though, I'll have to ask.

www.StealthArms.net

The kit I received came with some options that are not yet available on their website. I called at just the right time and was lucky enough to purchase some parts from a small sample/test batch they had run.

UPGRADES:
    • The slide came with a black finish, they had it blued. They said that instead of bluing, they are going to offer the slides in a black nitride finish for around $20-$30.
    • The frame came Type 3 Hard Anodized. $15-$20
    • The frame features checkering to the grip which will be around $30.
    • The frame also is a bobtail, this will be around a $25-$35 option.
    • Bobtail mainspring housing with checkering will be around $30
    • Bobtail pin and spring set

They recommend getting their bobtail mainspring housing if you get the bobtail frame because it is a perfect fit, and one from another company WILL require fitting. They also told me that they are working on the final details for a 9mm 1911!

Also on their website their is a poll on the bottom, they might be looking into an aluminum 80% Glock frame. I think that would be a pretty cool idea; but it's not set in stone if they will follow through with it.

So now on to the pictures. I might have gone a little overboard on the pictures but I just got my first DSLR camera; so I felt compelled to test myself and try to take the best professional looking pictures I could. Any constructive feedback or photography tips will be welcomed too!

I was not expecting it to come in a pistol case, I think it's a great idea.

IMG_0201_zpsuetdzsyq.jpg

IMG_0204_zpsxx5k5tnc.jpg

I started to unwrap the slide but then realized I should take a picture of how it was wrapped in plastic keeping it well lubricated.

IMG_0216_zps86okdpim.jpg

IMG_0237_zpskiqqmi5j.jpg

Now this is where I go crazy with the photos :party29:

IMG_0255%20copy_zpsdmktcpu3.jpg

IMG_0239%20copy_zpsvklvaavl.jpg

IMG_0243%20copy_zpshctbf5f9.jpg

IMG_0247%20copy_zpsi6raldf5.jpg

I also have one of their raw slides I decided to put next to the coated for this picture.

IMG_0276%20copy_zpsj3cyfrtx.jpg

IMG_0250%20copy_zpsam95manu.jpg

IMG_0256%20copy_zpsnx58ewkt.jpg

IMG_0258%20copy_zpssmcgnhpu.jpg

I also have one of their regular checkered mainspring housings, I used it for comparison the their checkered bobtail mainspring housing.

IMG_0262%20copy_zps6peviyhj.jpg

IMG_0263%20copy_zpscbfjofnc.jpg

IMG_0264%20copy_zpsapvwev73.jpg

IMG_0265%20copy_zpsygqqzvsq.jpg

IMG_0267%20copy_zpseptgut9y.jpg

IMG_0269%20copy_zpsoppds1oo.jpg

IMG_0272%20copy_zpsxyvgdfzq.jpg

IMG_0273%20copy_zpsfdrmgnsu.jpg

I didn't want to wipe all the oil off the barrel yet so I just left it in the bag for the picture.
    IMG_0282%20copy_zpsu33vuztt.jpg

Last edited:

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    How difficult to build? I have a drill press and a mill/drill/lathe.

Not really hard at all to finish the frame. If you get their phantom jig all you need is a vise and a drill! If you get their parts there is almost no fitting. There are a bunch of members on here that have already built these I am sure they would say the same thing about the difficulty.

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    Well I got a good start on finishing the handgun today. Everything is going together great, the only things that needed fitting were the thumb and grip safety which it says that they would need it.

IMG_0293_zpsmga6lp1n.jpg

IMG_0289_zpsdppkwqbz.jpg

sudo4re

Jul 8, 2013
    Stealth Arms frames are aluminum frames albeit they are very nicely produced. The combination of a steel slide and an aluminum frame makes for a top heavy gun which takes getting use to. Any 1911 parts will fit with minor fittings if you are mixing parts from different manufacturers, otherwise if you buy the whole kit from SA, their parts are as close to drop in as you can get.

I prefer the steel frames from 1911builders.com and their frames are top notch but are a little bit more expensive than the SA frames. 1911builders.com will have a big sale around Memorial Day that will worth the wait for.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Stealth Arms frames are aluminum frames albeit they are very nicely produced. The combination of a steel slide and an aluminum frame makes for a top heavy gun which takes getting use to.

There are TONS of guns that have aluminum frames and steel top ends. SIG, CZ, etc. And a polymer frame will be even lighter. It's not an issue.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I believe what the previous poster was referring to is the nature of how aluminum and polymer framed pistols feel and shoot, not the durability. I personally can tell the difference as well.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    There are TONS of guns that have aluminum frames and steel top ends. SIG, CZ, etc. And a polymer frame will be even lighter. It's not an issue.

I believe what the previous poster was referring to is the nature of how aluminum and polymer framed pistols feel and shoot, not the durability. I personally can tell the difference as well.

So I should build one of each.?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Tha's up to you. I personally prefer steel frames. However, I have been toying with the idea of an aluminum frame CCO or Commander size 1911.

Scratch the strongest itch...then try the other.

FMJ

Sep 2, 2014
    Eldersburg, MD
    What's the deal with 1911builders.com? They changed their web site slightly and it seems they are no longer selling steel commander frames?

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    Sorry I disappeared for a little bit, earlier this month I got married and I just got back from the honeymoon last week. I finally got around to taking some final photos, I think it's pretty badass looking! Now i just need to take it to the range and try it out.

IMG_1031%20copy_zpsgkp6xhuh.jpg

IMG_10331%20copy_zpssxptyxet.jpg

IMG_1040%20copy_zpsan6wtskd.jpg

IMG_1042%20copy%202_zpsol8py3tw.jpg

IMG_1045%20copy_zps0fakjmvg.jpg

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    That is a REALLY nice looking pistol.

Nice, nice job. I hope it shoots really well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom